Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What clothes do we need to pack?

What clothes do we need to pack?

Old May 11th 2009, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Jo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really nice
Default What clothes do we need to pack?

Help please! Wot's the weather like there everyone? Can I be optimistic and pack our t-shirts or is it jumper weather yet? We fly out on 23rd May so any useful info would be welcomed!
Old May 11th 2009, 10:16 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What clothes do we need to pack?

Originally Posted by Jo_Paul87
Help please! Wot's the weather like there everyone? Can I be optimistic and pack our t-shirts or is it jumper weather yet? We fly out on 23rd May so any useful info would be welcomed!
Crikey - have a look at the Today's Weather thread!

Where are you heading and is it for a holiday or permanent? Just incase you are doing both islands as the weather varies to put it mildly!
Old May 11th 2009, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are moving out permanently...

One bit of advice BUY CLOTHES THERE, fill you bags to their weighty limits on decent quality clothes at a decent price, especially decent shoes, clear out your local branch of Clarks!!!

Will be a shock to the system the shops in NZ

Actually forgoe the clothes and stuff as much IKEA flatpack in your bags as you can

If only a short holiday, pack for 4 seasons in one day, its the start of NZ winter and god only knows what that will throw at ya
Old May 11th 2009, 10:46 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you are going but it is freezing cold here in the Manawatu in the NI
Bring gloves, hats, waterproof clothing and woollies
Mind tomorrow it may well be sunny and warm. I just don't know, bring everything you own???

Seriously if you're only out here for a temporary holiday bring a good mix of clothes for sunny beach type activities,waterproof and winter clothing. Definitely bring jumpers and a warm jacket and what you would normally wear for a winter's day in the UK. Just enough to layer up when it gets cold.
Sue
Old May 11th 2009, 12:22 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Weather is less predictable and more variable than in most of the UK. So layers, layers and more layers is the best way to go.

In a couple of years I've found plenty of use for:

capalene vests and thermals - great base layers from Patagonia and the equivalents from berghaus, C&A (bless em) and M&S
Paramo shirts and jackets (Nikwax breathables) - although the puffy jkt gets less use that I'd like!
training tops - the wind stoppers are great
lightweight SPF30+ shirts, long sleeve to protect from the sun which is very powerful here
micro fleeces - various weights
a good hat - although you can live with 50 cent baseball cap from the op. shop. (like Oxfam or charity shops but often on a much larger scale!)
a decent pair of sunglasses - if you need a prescription it might be best to get a couple of pairs before you come as opticians here can be rather expensive.
although Kiwis (us included) love sport some of the gear can be expensive - I got two pairs of footie boots from ebay for the same price as I could get one over here (and in a style that is not available in NZ). But in other cases there isn't a great deal of difference in cost, if its made in China and not a Euro import it will be reasonable in NZ.

lots of this stuff (the fleeces, vests, etc) can be gotten from Khatmandu, NZ/Oz version of Milletts but never buy at full price..........their sales show the true mark-ups. Quality Kids shoes can be hard to come by - we have to drive 25km to get the feet measured properly but then lots of Kiwi kids (ours included) prefer being barefoot most of the time.

You can tell that I am a frumpy miserable bugger............but then all my italian suits (and yes I have a couple, plus trendy designer shirts) have sat in the cupboards, all except the lacoste short sleeves that are great casuals and hard-wearing.

Going into the office or out to a meeting overdressed and being told you are so can be a little embarassing. Little in the way of a "dress code" here compared to same industry in the UK where we were supposed to wear business attire to burned out buildings. yeah right.
Old May 11th 2009, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Snow settled on beaches in the North Island today !
Old May 11th 2009, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

It was hail!

Not sure if that is better or worse
Old May 11th 2009, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Jo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really nice

Many thanks for all your varied replies! To answer Am Loolah we are on a two week holiday to the North Island - off to buy 2 more suitcases now for all those extra layers!
Old May 11th 2009, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for all your varied replies! To answer Am Loolah we are on a two week holiday to the North Island - off to buy 2 more suitcases now for all those extra layers!
Enjoy your holiday. Whereabouts are you going on the North Island?

Layers are definitely the way to go. Can you bring some good weather with you, I'm so over this rain!
Old May 11th 2009, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Pair of jandles, stubbies and a singlet obviously..
Old May 11th 2009, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
It was hail!
Is that the wrong kind of snow?
Old May 11th 2009, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

It all depends .. for you you could well feel warmer than we all do.. my friend has been here the past 2 weeks and she thinks its hilarious cos im wearing like 10 layers and she walking about in vest tops and sunbathing in my garden ... she thinks its roasting but then it is compared to back in the uk, its 2 degrees where she lives ... it is roasting

i would just pack mixed clothes with a few cardis etc for night time

caz
Old May 12th 2009, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolineshewan
It all depends .. for you you could well feel warmer than we all do.. my friend has been here the past 2 weeks and she thinks its hilarious cos im wearing like 10 layers and she walking about in vest tops and sunbathing in my garden ... she thinks its roasting but then it is compared to back in the uk, its 2 degrees where she lives ... it is roasting

i would just pack mixed clothes with a few cardis etc for night time

caz
I agree with Caroline..when you've been here a couple of years, you forget how to cope with outside cold...I was complaining it was cold outside today and the sun was shining and there was barely any wind...I hardly ever need my thick winter coat here..it just sits in the wardrobe....I suggest t-shirt, (jumper) and waterproof...or maybe even just long-sleeved t-shirt/top and waterproof. Some houses here are colder inside than the temperature outside but hotels should be adequately heated. Lower NI gets a lot of sunshine even in winter.
Old May 12th 2009, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Really depends where you are going and at what time of year - but in Auckland I have never known it to be cold enough that a combination of t-shirt, jersey or polar fleece and a shell jacket isn't enough. Layers as someone said.

Much colder in high country or the South Island obviously.
Old May 12th 2009, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
Is that the wrong kind of snow?
The difference, getting slightly technical, is that snow tends to fall where the surface temperature is close to or below zero. Hail, on the other hand, forms at high altitude in very active cumulo-nimbus clouds so the presence of ice is not indicative of the surface air temperature. All to do with the adiabatic lapse rate. I'm reliably informed that it has never snowed at Tauranga.