Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is this what Christchurch is really like?

Is this what Christchurch is really like?

Old Jun 16th 2008, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this what Christchurch is really like?

Originally Posted by howardk
obviously converted..........but who the wants to have to leave at 6.50 am just to miss traffic........... fendalton 'would be targeted'....great, live in an city that is targeted....fendalton is a 'better area'...great schools,access,shops,parks...rangiora not so good schools.......weather temps....ok great !? crime is rife in christchurch as is graffiti....canterbury has rising crime rates year on year....i agree most cities in the world do.....but it is here to stay....each to their own.

You obviously don't know me and no I am not converted just making the best of where I am at this moment in time and living FOR THE MOMENT!....... better to get to work on time that sit in traffic and be late did enough of that in the UK ...........show me a city that is not "targeted" by some criminal or other........... Don't have kids at school but Rangiora schools are great from what I have heard from those that do have children their...... crime is rife everywhere.... as is graffiti.... ... There is no nirvana anywhere! - yes each to their own and I am happy for now to be living here like thousands of others who have come here and are happy of which you don't appear to be one of them.

For those of you coming I would say disregard negative comments and come and see for yourself and make your own decisions based on your own requirements and financial ability. Just be aware that there is no escape from boy racers, graffiti and such other crime that seems to be persistent in any city/town in the world. Unless you live in walking distance of your proposed place of work you will have to sit in a queue of cars all trying to get to the same place . Crime is on the increase all over New Zealand and not just Christchurch. It is a good job we have free will isn't it!
Old Jun 16th 2008, 5:18 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

All that double posting is a bit odd isn't it?

Both Shirl & Howardk have valid points. Yes, if you live in a city centre and are not careful regarding posessions then you may encounter crime via theft. It happens here, just as it did to us in Southend. Despite the stories in the papers I've yet to be be beaten up, assaulted, mugged or knifed here though, and we are out and about around the city centre late at weekends.

Ultimately, you choose to live in a city you have to accept there there are going to be some negatives. I don't think that if I have accepted these then the term 'converted' can be used. I agree that sitting in a car to get to work is a compromise that shouldn't have to be encoutered just to live in a better/ socially calmer environment but that's the way of things, here as much as anywhere.

However speaking for myself, for the few negatives, there are a myriad positives. It is up to you as an individual to decide if the balance is right for your expectations.

How do you decide? Well - ask the right questions, take the answers with a pinch of salt as we all have our biases, and then come and have a look for yourself.

We did, and don't regret a day of it.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 5:32 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I hate seeing comments like that on here. Why does someone have to be labelled as 'converted' just because they like where they live? It just implies that the 'converted' person has no sense of balance, or a valid opinion, like they've been brainwashed in some way.
We all see things differently and what is a problem for some people, isn't for others. Neither are right or wrong; it's a personal opinion.
Mine is that I like Christchurch. I think it's a beautiful city, easy to navigate (despite my attempt to drive the wrong way up a one way street when I first arrived!). I think the positives of the place outweigh the negatives and I'm proud to call it home.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 6:54 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

This is great...........remember those australian ads that ended with "so where the bloody hell are you?"

Well nz has one too, if you type 'Where the bloody hell are you - new zealand' on youtube you get the REAL picture....so true, and funny too he he
Old Jun 16th 2008, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Nice to see you back, BE has been a boring place. (Pascalr that is)

To the OP. Chc okay out of the city, but not to far.

Since starting work here I have seen the real inner city, crime and tagging are rife as well as the boy racers. They create carnage every weekend causing major upheaval in certain areas. The Kiwi's themselves are not to friendly and oblivious in thier consideration for others. Parties and noise pollution are a big issue if you like it peaceful.

If these things get on your goat in the UK they will here.

The Kiwi's are very proud of thier country, nothing wrong with that. But prospective immigrants should be aware it is not more beautiful than the UK, The Peak district and the lakes compare well and they could take offence if you mention this.

Pay is less. (and they want their pound of flesh)
Houses are different. (colder)
Driving standards are shit.
If England win at rugby they will have the hump with you.
Drinking culture.
Asthma is common place.

Nice weather though.
Good for kids at the moment. (Number one priority)
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Pay is less. (and they want their pound of flesh)
So is cost of living, and they don't all want their pound of flesh, much more laid back IMHO
Houses are different. (colder)
They don't have to be IMHO
Driving standards are shit.
No worse than UK, better mannered driving here IMHO
If England win at rugby they will have the hump with you.
But Kiwis won't actively gloat at any English failure and sneer at any English success, unlike the Scots!
Drinking culture.
Do you mean the ability to drink and not go on the ramage after?
Asthma is common place.
Really?
Nice weather though.
Agreed
Good for kids at the moment. (Number one priority)
Agreed

Yes the Peak District and the Lakes are lovely, I remember a wonderful summer holiday hiking round the Lakes, soaked to the skin every day but wonderful scenery, the Port Hills remind me of the Lakes, only warmer and drier!!

Went up Dyer's Pass Road to Victoria Park on Sunday - in shorts and T shirt - in the middle of winter - what a view to the Alps, Mount Grey, Richardson and Oxford, the Canterbury Plains and the mighty Waimakariri, the city laid out before me, the coast and the Sun shining off the sea beyond South New Brighton, Shag Rock in Sumner (made my daughter giggle!). Bloody awesome, I've never lived in a city with all this on its doorstep!
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

I realise the OP is a Scot and therefore apologise for the wee dig at the Scots in my above post
Old Jun 16th 2008, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Barpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant future

I realise the OP is a Scot and therefore apologise for the wee dig at the Scots in my above post

Apology accepted!!!!!!

btw Having driven in Glasgow, Dublin and Chch rush hour traffic.....you can give me Chch rush hour traffic any day!
Old Jun 16th 2008, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

and getting to town from rangiora gets worse every day....and once the pegasus township is in full swing that will really slow things
Yeah its a nightmare I leave Goon at 6:45 and get to Woolston the other side of Chch half an hour later! And we leave home early so we can get home early to have more time with the kids! Pegasus is a dead duck matey - only fools or those fresh off the boat would live in that sandpit!!!

Last edited by Woodlea; Jun 16th 2008 at 10:14 am.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

paulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Woodlea
I dont gloat when scotland win, cause we dont win plus, i dont gloat when england loose either, basically i'm a mountain biker and i really dont care lol. Each to thier own, maybe thats why i dont fit in here :P

anyway...

So many differencies of opinion and tbh its hard to settle down to a justified theme. My wife and I will be coming over next year for a visit i hope, so we'll make our own minds up, but for the time being our minds are set on Rangiora.

Its probably a similar case like scotland, you can live in a street and see trouble most days and weekends, however if you move several streets away you'll never see it, however you still live in the same district. So its not all bad.

Boy racers don't bother me in the slightest, because they will end up either wrecking thier cars, or themselves one day. Its the comments about being accepted by the locals and stuff like that which bother me, and whether we can all get along, regardless of whether we're scottish, english or kiwi.

Last edited by paulst30; Jun 16th 2008 at 10:38 am.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulst30
Boy racers don't bother me in the slightest, because they will end up either wrecking thier cars, or themselves one day.
Jesus, you obviously havent seen or heard them then. They are pretty bad all over NZ but I think ChCh is the worst from what I can tell. Unfortunately, they are very likely to take you out too, or your house. And the noise of these little pricks is beyond belief. Hanging is too good for them.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

paulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nicepaulst30 is just really nice

Thing is, Boy Racers are everywhere, with thier Pipercross air filters, Peco exhausts and suped up engines, just to look the tits, its been the annoyance of many a generation before us, and it wont change.

If it is so bad in NZ then why doesnt the government crack down on it, by putting in measures to halt their stupid behaviour? All i hear is hoons are a pain, the noise is terrible, but does anyone actually do anything about it?

In the UK as you know, we have speed bumps, traffic calming single track systems, and if the added after market parts are not declared to insurers then if they have an accident, they're not covered. Is any of this there to keep it from growing out of control? or is it too late for that....
Old Jun 16th 2008, 2:22 pm
Banned

howardk will become famous soon enoughhowardk will become famous soon enough

Thing is, Boy Racers are everywhere, with thier Pipercross air filters, Peco exhausts and suped up engines, just to look the tits, its been the annoyance of many a generation before us, and it wont change.

If it is so bad in NZ then why doesnt the government crack down on it, by putting in measures to halt their stupid behaviour? All i hear is hoons are a pain, the noise is terrible, but does anyone actually do anything about it?

In the UK as you know, we have speed bumps, traffic calming single track systems, and if the added after market parts are not declared to insurers then if they have an accident, they're not covered. Is any of this there to keep it from growing out of control? or is it too late for that....
i think the cross view of opinions here is great........there are pro's and con's everywhere.....here in ottawa we have no graffiti,no boy racers and because we have the RCMP,provincial and federal police crime is low.....walking through ottawa at night is safe....it is not in chch.....we have lived there twice and my wife wants to come back....i am not so sure....i am thinking alot about the future my kids have in chch.........hope you enjoy the place.........
Old Jun 16th 2008, 2:30 pm
Banned

howardk will become famous soon enoughhowardk will become famous soon enough

problem in nz is that insurance is not compulsory.....so 16,17 year olds etc can go out...get car loan...buy sub wrx or mitsi evo and race around with their crash helmets on.....in canada car ins is really expensive for kids and i guess it is in the uk,so a deterrent........
Old Jun 16th 2008, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

problem in nz is that insurance is not compulsory.....so 16,17 year olds etc can go out...get car loan...buy sub wrx or mitsi evo and race around with their crash helmets on.....in canada car ins is really expensive for kids and i guess it is in the uk,so a deterrent........
Insurance not compulsary?
16 year olds driving Scoobies?

this just gets better and better!!

Having a really bad day in work here, and reading these things doesnt help, because now it feels like there's no light at the end of the tunnel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.