Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What can we take??

What can we take??

Old Mar 24th 2007, 1:36 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Question What can we take??

Hiya people

Can anyone who has travelled recently, particularly via Singapore, what's the current situation with Hand Luggage?
Can we take toiletries & drinks etc on the flights now, or buy it airside?

Also does anyone have any tips for keeping a 3 year old amused (& me sane!!) for nearly 13 hours !!! All suggestions gratefully accepted
Old Mar 24th 2007, 4:32 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What can we take??

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Hiya people
Can anyone who has travelled recently, particularly via Singapore, what's the current situation with Hand Luggage

Also does anyone have any tips for keeping a 3 year old amused (& me sane!!) for nearly 13 hours !!! All suggestions gratefully accepted

That's for the both of you!!!
We used to be given brandy as a kid and never did me any harm ...hic!!!
Old Mar 24th 2007, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

kevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nicekevinhenator is just really nice

Hiya people

Can anyone who has travelled recently, particularly via Singapore, what's the current situation with Hand Luggage?

Hiya, if you find the answer please let me know. My wife will fly to AUK via singapore next month (YAY! we are on our way ) all by herself - with a 5 year old, 4 year old and 1 year old . I only follow a few months later.

There are a few natural (homeopathic??) products that help kiddies keep calm, also very NB to let them suck a sweet during take off and landing.

Wish I could help more, but we in the same boat. Good Luck !!
Old Mar 24th 2007, 5:58 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya people

Hi guys.
We didn't fly via Singapore; Air NZ via LA, but restriction is still on all flights for liquids, think it was max 100ml, and in clear, resealable bag. No large bottles of water, etc. Can buy stuff duty free after security checks to take on board though.

There was lots of small children and babies on our outbound and return flights and we didn't hear a peep out of them. The flight attendants made sure that when it should be 'night' all window blinds were closed and lights dimmed, so everyone could get a proper 8 hours sleep. It helped that there were individual tv screens in headrest with about 50 films and lots of tv programmes, documentaries, kids zone, cd's, games etc to choose from so something for everyone and no noise to disturb you or the littleuns!!!. I think all airlines give the kids some kind of pack to help, colouring book, that sort of thing.

If all else fails, teach you 3 year to press the button for the flight attendant and let them help out
Old Mar 24th 2007, 6:02 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya people

... oh and also, on long haul flights they are constantly coming round with beer, wine, spirits, water, juice, tea, coffee, hot choc etc so you don't need to worry bout taking drinks on board. Even when every other passenger is sleeping you just press the call attendant button and asks them for whatever drink you want, and you get loads to eat AND it's edible - at least that was our experience. Have you booked a special childs meal though cos I think that usually has to be done in advance
Old Mar 24th 2007, 7:46 pm
In Albany and loving it!!

katracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nicekatracy is just really nice

R kids allowed to take gameboy or PSP on board planes
Old Mar 24th 2007, 8:54 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katracy
R kids allowed to take gameboy or PSP on board planes

I know PSP are fine. our friend left his in the seat on a flight back from NZ last year!!

Dopey sod!!
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:22 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I know PSP are fine. our friend left his in the seat on a flight back from NZ last year!!

Dopey sod!!
Hi Sarah, have you booked your flights yet? It's all on Air Singapore's website, I scribbled it all down but can't find it now I need it!

From what I can remember it's one piece of hand luggage per person, i.e: one cabin bag, I suit carrier, a laptop counts as your onw piece, likewise your handbag is your one piece! We (meaning I) have worked it out that Hubby can carry the laptop, with all important docs in that we'll need for the 1st 8 weeks, photocopies of which will be in the cases! Kids will have 3 pull along cabin cases, 2 full of clothes for 2 day stopover in Singapore, 1 full of things to do on the plane - yes, PSP, books, colouring stuff, couple of card games and playdough - coz I'm mean to airline cleaners like that!!! That'll leave me with my slightly larger than recommended holdall with handbag within that. So if worse comes to worse and they make me check in holdall, I can whip out handbag with essentials!

Other than that, everything else is utter confusion!

Oh yes, any lotions, toothpaste, creams, fluids, gels etc must be in a clear plastic bag in hand luggage and not more than 100ml. The only problem we have found with this is can't find suncream for Singapore in less than 150ml tubes so have put it in anyway!
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:26 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hi Sarah, have you booked your flights yet? It's all on Air Singapore's website, I scribbled it all down but can't find it now I need it!

From what I can remember it's one piece of hand luggage per person, i.e: one cabin bag, I suit carrier, a laptop counts as your onw piece, likewise your handbag is your one piece! We (meaning I) have worked it out that Hubby can carry the laptop, with all important docs in that we'll need for the 1st 8 weeks, photocopies of which will be in the cases! Kids will have 3 pull along cabin cases, 2 full of clothes for 2 day stopover in Singapore, 1 full of things to do on the plane - yes, PSP, books, colouring stuff, couple of card games and playdough - coz I'm mean to airline cleaners like that!!! That'll leave me with my slightly larger than recommended holdall with handbag within that. So if worse comes to worse and they make me check in holdall, I can whip out handbag with essentials!

Oh yes, any lotions, toothpaste, creams, fluids, gels etc must be in a clear plastic bag in hand luggage and not more than 100ml. The only problem we have found with this is can't find suncream for Singapore in less than 150ml tubes so have put it in anyway!

Hiya Fairy

I've sent you a PM
Old Mar 24th 2007, 10:45 pm

Hiya Fairy

I've sent you a PM
Obviously my wand, wings, tiara and fairy dust I will wear - although wand can be abit iffy with the walk through detector!
Old Mar 25th 2007, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Amber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really nice

Seats toward the back of the plane are often free for the flight attendants to sit down. You can take a 3 year old back there and jump around in the free space by the loos. Some physical activity to wear them out. Music and Movement it used to be called - curl into a ball, grow up into a tree, can you touch the ceiling of the plane?! Can you get the attendant to join in a dance? If the people sitting back there get cross, you can always present the alternative of your 3 year old getting fidgety and worn out and having a screaming tantrum...they'll probably back off.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Just to let you know we bought our lap top in singapore and carried it on with our 5 pieces of handluggage for the 5 of us. I had 2 handbags with things in and they fitted into one of the holdall type bags we had as hand luggage. Nobody questioned the lap top. Hope thios helps.
Carole
Old Mar 25th 2007, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Hi,
Just to let you know we bought our lap top in singapore and carried it on with our 5 pieces of handluggage for the 5 of us. I had 2 handbags with things in and they fitted into one of the holdall type bags we had as hand luggage. Nobody questioned the lap top. Hope thios helps.
Carole
We're resigning ourselves to paying excess, we are too many with too much stuff!!

Found Air Singapore stuff I'd noted from their website; in brief;

1 item of hand luggage per passenger, handbag or laptop must be carried within the cabin bag.

Trolley bag 55cmx40cmx20cm
Briefcase bag 50cmx40cmx25cm
Garment bag that can be folded over.
No one piece of hand luggage to weigh more than 7kg

Liquids, aerosals, gels, toothpaste, creams, lotions, oils, mascara only in hand luggage, must not exceed 100ml bottles or tubes and must be in clear, re-sealable bag, not exceeding 1l in total. 1 bag per person.

Any medicines must be in hand luggage and should have an accompanying letter from GP.
Economy - loaded luggage for hold'

20kg each, if over each piece must not exceed 32kg (they simply won't life them)

From LHR to SIN excess per kilo is £36

From SIN to AKL excess per kilo is £16

Hope this helps!!
Old Mar 25th 2007, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future

We're resigning ourselves to paying excess, we are too many with too much stuff!!

Found Air Singapore stuff I'd noted from their website; in brief;

1 item of hand luggage per passenger, handbag or laptop must be carried within the cabin bag.

Trolley bag 55cmx40cmx20cm
Briefcase bag 50cmx40cmx25cm
Garment bag that can be folded over.
No one piece of hand luggage to weigh more than 7kg

Liquids, aerosals, gels, toothpaste, creams, lotions, oils, mascara only in hand luggage, must not exceed 100ml bottles or tubes and must be in clear, re-sealable bag, not exceeding 1l in total. 1 bag per person.

Any medicines must be in hand luggage and should have an accompanying letter from GP.
Economy - loaded luggage for hold'

20kg each, if over each piece must not exceed 32kg (they simply won't life them)

From LHR to SIN excess per kilo is £36

From SIN to AKL excess per kilo is £16

Hope this helps!!
Ouch!, at those prices it really is worth not going over the weight allowance!
Old Mar 25th 2007, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

This was covered in a thread a while back and not sure if it still applies, but Singapore Airlines may give you a better allowance if you are migrating, provided you can show an unused PR visa. We were allowed 30kg each, and I have heard of people getting 40kg.

Incidentally, when we checked in we had 121.5kg between three of us and they were very good about it, didn't charge us anything extra. The check-in girl did speak to the supervisor when we checked in again at Singapore, but again no charge. Possibly travelling with a 2-yr old and looking very harassed helps!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.