Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What British words do I need to avoid?

What British words do I need to avoid?

Old Dec 14th 2005, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

JoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant future
Default What British words do I need to avoid?

Being a Secondary school teacher (someone has to do the job) I don't want to jump head or feet first into a school without knowing which words to avoid (like going to the US and shouting Bum Bag or Fag in a shop without really knowing what they mean or rubber for eraser and the list goes on)
Anyone any ideas????
Old Dec 14th 2005, 1:34 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What British words do I need to avoid?

Originally Posted by JoannaD
Being a Secondary school teacher (someone has to do the job) I don't want to jump head or feet first into a school without knowing which words to avoid (like going to the US and shouting Bum Bag or Fag in a shop without really knowing what they mean or rubber for eraser and the list goes on)
Anyone any ideas????
"c**ks**king motherf***er" I think is deffo one to avoid around kids.

Last edited by Manc; Dec 14th 2005 at 1:38 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2005, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

JoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant futureJoannaD has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Manc
"c**ks**king motherf***er" I think is deffo one to avoid around kids.
lets think I wonder if cooks taking father fits or farter!!!!!!!
Old Dec 14th 2005, 5:49 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Don't go 'rooting' around in anyones drawers looking for something
Old Dec 14th 2005, 8:12 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What British words do I need to avoid?

Originally Posted by sky
Yes although it seems perfectly acceptable to exclaim "bugger" in polite company, which of course means to have anal sex.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 14th 2005, 8:17 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Yes although it seems perfectly acceptable to exclaim "bugger" in polite company, which of course means to have anal sex.

Cheers

Buzzy
lol yes even on the tv commercials over here, they make me laugh though
Old Dec 14th 2005, 8:41 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by sky
that explains the odd looks i got on arrival when i was looking for a router for my broadband...

Old Dec 15th 2005, 8:34 am
livewire

"Manchester", unless immediately followed by "united", will get you linens.

Old Dec 15th 2005, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livewire
"Manchester", unless immediately followed by "united", will get you linens.
I've been wondering what the old Manchester was??!!! Now I know....doh!
Old Dec 15th 2005, 8:55 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: What British words do I need to avoid?

Originally Posted by SarahB
I've been wondering what the old Manchester was??!!! Now I know....doh!
I was in Smiths City once with a friend on holiday from England. She asked where she could buy a towel and was told it was in the Manchester department.

Very sensibly, she asked the shop assistant if that was to be found between the Birmingham and the Carlisle department!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 15th 2005, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I was in Smiths City once with a friend on holiday from England. She asked where she could buy a towel and was told it was in the Manchester department.

Very sensibly, she asked the shop assistant if that was to be found between the Birmingham and the Carlisle department!

Cheers

Buzzy
Noooooo??!!! LOL..... I had kinda guessed from the adverts on TV it was linen but couldnt work out if it was a brandname or not.

So somebody gonna explain where the term "Manchester" comes from then?
Old Dec 15th 2005, 8:59 am
sky
Banned

I was totally puzzled when I went to Kmart and they had 50% off all Manchester. I really didn't have a clue.
Old Dec 15th 2005, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sky
I was totally puzzled when I went to Kmart and they had 50% off all Manchester. I really didn't have a clue.
Well its gonna stay as "linen" to me!! I am NOT calling it Manchester!!
Old Dec 15th 2005, 9:01 am
sky
Banned

Didn't the ships bring in linen and the name stamped on the bales was Manchester cos that's where the bale came from. But it's just what I've heard don't quote me
Old Dec 15th 2005, 9:10 am
Victorian Evangelist

Smile Re: What British words do I need to avoid?

Another word is "dairy".

I'm going down the dairy to buy a newspaper..................

eh???????????

Cheers

Buzzy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.