Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What is the best way to get TV

What is the best way to get TV

Old Jul 6th 2013, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

PHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to behold
Default What is the best way to get TV

Hi All
Can any one tell me if there is any internet and tv packages out in NZ or do i have to pay for both separately. As you already know in UK Sky do both as do Virgin and others but is there anything simular in NZ.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the best way to get TV

Have a look at vodafone.co.nz. We get cable tv and internet through them, although the cable is only available in Wellington and Christchurch areas, I think. They do other bundles to do with Sky, though.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

We looked a Vodafone but they couldn't offer any of the new customer offers which sky did separately(6mths sports and something else 6 mths free), so we are going to wait six months then move to Vodafone as a package.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Slingshot offer Igloo TV, 50gb broadband and a phone line for $100 a month which for NZ is a great offer.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

PHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to beholdPHONEJUNKY is a splendid one to behold

Slingshot and igloo sound good i will look at what channels igloo offer then check out vodafone. Thanks all
Old Jul 6th 2013, 11:33 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

we set a server up in the UK so log on through that to watch iplayer, plus we have sky box running and watch it through slingbox
Old Jul 7th 2013, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Sky tends to be separate with a discount from your phone provider for a deal.

As I UK, there is digital free view, all you need is a decoder
Old Jul 8th 2013, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

S_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the rough

We moved into our rental to discover we didn't have a terrestrial TV aerial, so had to go down the Sky route. We also got a good deal with Vodafone.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Engel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really nice

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
we set a server up in the UK so log on through that to watch iplayer, plus we have sky box running and watch it through slingbox
I had hoped that by getting Virgin Anywhere fof my mum, I could watch it over here, but I have been unable to stream. I was wondering about using Hide My Ass to mask my IP address. How does the slingbox work?

Also, I get my internet from a wifi via my building manager. It seems pricey 10GB is $30. I am so used to cable with no limit. I used to stream my TV, Skype and play laods of games. Now, 1 hour on Skype is like $3 of net access.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 10:20 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

slingbox attaches to SKY box in UK then you have an internet connection to it on the PC.

Hubby, IT Geek said using HMA would work if you wanted to watch Iplayer and the like. We just connect to the server set up in the uk so same thought of thing
Old Jul 8th 2013, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

S_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the rough

Expat shield is another one you can use, although I've never used it myself. I have heard it can cause issues with malware.

I pay around $5 a month for a program called Go Trusted. It's a Virtual Private Network which tells UK websites that you're based in the UK allowing you access to content. All your content is encrypted, so if you're sat in a free WIFI, no one can intercept your data.

One thing I have noticed here is not many Internet companies provide unlimited Internet use. I have up to 50Gb a month which sounds a lot, but if you think an episode of Eastenders will use about 400 Mb, it soon adds up if streaming from the UK.

Hope I haven't hijacked the thread.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by S_and_T
Expat shield is another one you can use, although I've never used it myself. I have heard it can cause issues with malware.

I pay around $5 a month for a program called Go Trusted. It's a Virtual Private Network which tells UK websites that you're based in the UK allowing you access to content. All your content is encrypted, so if you're sat in a free WIFI, no one can intercept your data.

One thing I have noticed here is not many Internet companies provide unlimited Internet use. I have up to 50Gb a month which sounds a lot, but if you think an episode of Eastenders will use about 400 Mb, it soon adds up if streaming from the UK.

Hope I haven't hijacked the thread.
Not at all, The more info the better. I have been using Hola to get ITV Player but i think i will go for Igloo & 50gb Data and set up a sling box at grandparents in uk.
Thanks for all the info