British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   What are the benefits of raising familyin NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/what-benefits-raising-familyin-nz-330872/)

melting pot Oct 11th 2005 8:37 pm

What are the benefits of raising familyin NZ

After being here 6 months, my family are now facing as to whether to stay or not in NZ. We came to provide a better lifestyle for raising our 2 children,1 a toddler, and 1 a baby.
We thought that we would be able to buy a house with smaller mortgage, and have money for savings,to be able to have trips back to the UK.
The cost of living is proving to be very high, I am looking after the children and my husband is working,he earns 65K which we are told is a good salary for Auckland, but we are $1000, dollars a month short on paying the bills, we dont drink, have 1 car, dont have holidays,dont buy clothes, or eat out, there is no extravagant lifestyle but still the ends do not meet.
As I can not see any improvement in exchange rates it is not an option to even convert our money to purchase a property,not that we can afford one at the current time anyway,so will be staying in rented.
I didnt dislike the UK, and do miss family,and wonder if raising children without them is best for them, but my husband does not want to return,and is determined that we should make it work, where as I can not see why to put our family, or our marriage though more anguish and that returning maybe the only compromise that we should make,before we leave it too long, lose more money and then have our options taken away from us.
Therefore, why should we stay here,....what is the benefits of being in NZ

JaneAS Oct 11th 2005 9:09 pm

Re: What are the benefits of raising familyin NZ

MeltingPot, it sounds as though you are having a rough time of it, and this is what I fear about emigrating (we are still doing our research). When you say the cost of living is high, is it in the mortgage repayments, utility bills, food bills, health care? Are you living in an expensive area?

I hope you work things out. Good luck,
JaneAS

melting pot Oct 11th 2005 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by JaneAS
MeltingPot, it sounds as though you are having a rough time of it, and this is what I fear about emigrating (we are still doing our research). When you say the cost of living is high, is it in the mortgage repayments, utility bills, food bills, health care? Are you living in an expensive area?

I hope you work things out. Good luck,
JaneAS

not living in expensive area,rent 390pw for 3bed hse on north shore,elec 160per month,food 300 per week inc nappies, formula milks etc, but concidering only small,as they grow will eat more..... car insurance 60 pm,petrol 250 pm hse insurance 50 pm,life insurance 70pm...list goes on,even if we got a mortgage,the interset rates are 9 % and rising so wworks out similar to what we would pay in rent,each docter visit is 65 dollars for adults and 15 for children rising to 35 when over 5....I wasillrecently,2tripsto doc, 2 courses antib cost $180.....not funny !!
Generaly everything is about 2 1/2,time the cost and more of what you would pay in the uk, but salaries are not, maybe its just a case needing 2 salaries to support families here,but not what we had intended.

Carkedit Oct 11th 2005 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by melting pot
not living in expensive area,rent 390pw for 3bed hse on north shore,elec 160per month,food 300 per week inc nappies, formula milks etc, but concidering only small,as they grow will eat more..... car insurance 60 pm,petrol 250 pm hse insurance 50 pm,life insurance 70pm...list goes on,even if we got a mortgage,the interset rates are 9 % and rising so wworks out similar to what we would pay in rent,each docter visit is 65 dollars for adults and 15 for children rising to 35 when over 5....I wasillrecently,2tripsto doc, 2 courses antib cost $180.....not funny !!
Generaly everything is about 2 1/2,time the cost and more of what you would pay in the uk, but salaries are not, maybe its just a case needing 2 salaries to support families here,but not what we had intended.

The doc in west auckland is $40 a visit.

CWEMM02 Oct 12th 2005 3:16 am

After being here 6 months, my family are now facing as to whether to stay or not in NZ. We came to provide a better lifestyle for raising our 2 children,1 a toddler, and 1 a baby. . .

My wife and I (and four kids but no dog anymore) had our first EOI accepted last September. We withdrew our application after we were invited to apply for PR. We currently live in Niagara Falls, Canada where we enjoy above average income and below average cost of housing. These two factors weighed very heavily on our decision not to move to NZ.

In September of this year our second EOI was accepted and we have been invited to apply for PR. So, why are we doing it a second time as one could have other hobbies than completing endless EOI's?

I know that I will make less money, save less money, pay more for housing and so have a mortgage for a longer time and likely overall enjoy a lower standard of living in NZ then here. However, I look down the road and like the idea that I am not likely to drop dead of a heart attack after clearing the snow off the drive and will actually be able to go outside in summer as it is so very hot here. I am looking for a place that allows me to continue to live and work in the same city. I want a place where the weather is fair, where there are reasonable social and educational assets and where there are reasonable opportunities for a satisfying career. There are only a few places in the world where one finds so many of these things. Vancouver is too big and getting very expensive. After Vancouver one is looking at New Zealand as Australia is too hot, Sidney too big and too expensive.

When push comes to shove I would have to say there is only Wellington and Christchurch. I still find them more expensive then they should be and can't understand how NZ'ers pay for their homes or why they keep deciding to pay more for them each month. They should all sit on their hands for a bit.

So, should you stay? I lived in the UK for two years (south east) I loved it. It is always good to have a little extra money each month, but I found in the UK it is a necessity. I worked for a few years in the US and there is only so much on offer and these days it is best to stay away. I think you should stay, but perhaps look for cheaper accomodation and perhaps a chance to move out of the Auckland area. Overall, for us we have no illusions that we are up for a challenge but in the long run, I can't see how it should be considered a huge mistake.

Now on a sligthly new topic for all you Brits: How can you not be substantially better off by moving to NZ? If I had the number of pounds that I have Canadian dollars I should do quite nicely with the currency conversion even at current levels. I am by no means wealthy. I keep thinking that housing prices are so high in New Zealand because you all show up with all your pounds and get so many dollars that you just have to buy real estate and if it costs an extra 25,000, so what it is only 10,000 pounds.

All the best to you all, we are planning on showing up on 30 August 2006.

Michael

melting pot Oct 12th 2005 5:34 am

Originally Posted by CWEMM02
My wife and I (and four kids but no dog anymore) had our first EOI accepted last September. We withdrew our application after we were invited to apply for PR. We currently live in Niagara Falls, Canada where we enjoy above average income and below average cost of housing. These two factors weighed very heavily on our decision not to move to NZ.

I can understand,and thank you for your balanced opinion on NZ, I lived in the South East of England, and we had a good quality of life there,but house prices, etc just kept rising and we decided on children so I stopped work to look after my children. We were not in a position to move ( as we thought at the time ) as didnt want the huge mortgages that all the people we knew had,to get the bigger house,to accommodate the bigger family or thought we couldn't afford anyway. So the option to come to NZ,and to be in a position where we could have a bigger house,small mortgage and we thought similar pay,so similar cost of living, that although 12000 miles away,it would be the right thing to do for the raising of our children, Even though we would be leaving family and friends behind.

I think the assumption is that Brits come in with all this money,but we are a young couple 1 salary,2children...we dont have suitcases full of money, yes enough to be able to put a sizable deposit,but still needing a 200k mortgage, which is what we thought couldn't afford in the UK,on similar money to what we are earning here........

So all of a sudden....I hope you can now see my concerns...the cost of living has more than doubled, mortgage will have more than doubled.....so why have we come all this way.

I can hear people thinking why didnt you research....we did,my husbands parents have retired here,his uncle,and a cousin is living here, we came twice to visit, in 1999,and 2003... but only recently is it unraveling from family here that yes it has got very expensive,but obviously did not want to tell us, why would they want to deter there son from coming !!!!! motives which also concern me...

My husband is very keen to stay, and me....well....I want to the best thing,its cost alot of money to get here....not to mention the heartache...but so far finding it difficult to reconcile in my own mind that this is the best thing for us to have done.

Gill and Rob Oct 12th 2005 6:51 am

Hello
Sorry you are having such a rough time at the moment. Only my thoughts, but have you considered moving out of Auckland, where you will get a less expensive rental, where if you bought, you would get more for you money, where communting times would be shorter saving you on petrol {$250 !!!}?

What does you hubby do? How likely would he be of finding a job outside of Auckland.

Cheers and keep you chin up.

Gill

babybella Oct 12th 2005 9:14 am

[QUOTE=melting pot]

I can understand,and thank you for your balanced opinion on NZ, I lived in the South East of England, and we had a good quality of life there,but house prices, etc just kept rising and we decided on children so I stopped work to look after my children. We were not in a position to move ( as we thought at the time ) as didnt want the huge mortgages that all the people we knew had,to get the bigger house,to accommodate the bigger family or thought we couldn't afford anyway. So the option to come to NZ,and to be in a position where we could have a bigger house,small mortgage and we thought similar pay,so similar cost of living, that although 12000 miles away,it would be the right thing to do for the raising of our children, Even though we would be leaving family and friends behind.

I think the assumption is that Brits come in with all this money,but we are a young couple 1 salary,2children...we dont have suitcases full of money, yes enough to be able to put a sizable deposit,but still needing a 200k mortgage, which is what we thought couldn't afford in the UK,on similar money to what we are earning here........

So all of a sudden....I hope you can now see my concerns...the cost of living has more than doubled, mortgage will have more than doubled.....so why have we come all this way.

I can hear people thinking why didnt you research....we did,my husbands parents have retired here,his uncle,and a cousin is living here, we came twice to visit, in 1999,and 2003... but only recently is it unraveling from family here that yes it has got very expensive,but obviously did not want to tell us, why would they want to deter there son from coming !!!!! motives which also concern me...

My husband is very keen to stay, and me....well....I want to the best thing,its cost alot of money to get here....not to mention the heartache...but so far finding it difficult to reconcile in my own mind that this is the best thing for us to have done.

Hi Melting pot,
Sorry you are having a hard time of it. $65,000 per year does not give you a lot to play with unless you are morgage free.
I haven't been to NZ for 5 years now but the other day I spent £180 on the weekly shop I can't believe that I would spend $540 on my shopping in NZ
KAZ

uk+kiwi Oct 12th 2005 10:00 am

[QUOTE=melting pot]

Sorry things are not looking particularly rosy for you at the moment. I hope they get better and that there are some aspects to your lifestyle that are much better than they were back home? :)

uk+kiwi Oct 12th 2005 10:01 am

[QUOTE=kaz Hen]

the other day I spent £180 on the weekly shop I can't believe that I would spend $540 on my shopping in NZ
KAZ

Hope you picked up some nice wine!!! :) You wouldn't do that every week though would you? Good for you if you do though.

babybella Oct 12th 2005 10:14 am

[QUOTE=uk+kiwi]

Originally Posted by kaz Hen

Hope you picked up some nice wine!!! :) You wouldn't do that every week though would you? Good for you if you do though.

No that was more expensive that usual (It was the bottle of Laphroaig that did it) I do spend about £150 each week on food for five of us though.
I used to spend $450 per fortnight in NZ
KAZ
Now I really must go and do some work, ugh!
KAZ :mad:

uk+kiwi Oct 12th 2005 10:17 am

[QUOTE=kaz Hen]

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Now I really must go and do some work, ugh!
KAZ :mad:

Me too!! See you later - Carmen.

melting pot Oct 12th 2005 6:39 pm

Unfortunatly the cost of the car, is for trips to see family general use,my husband uses the bus $185 on top of this

melting pot Oct 12th 2005 6:41 pm

[QUOTE=kaz Hen][QUOTE=melting pot]
why have you chosen to raise family in UK, and would you prefere to be in NZ

babybella Oct 12th 2005 6:56 pm

[QUOTE=melting pot][QUOTE=kaz Hen]

why have you chosen to raise family in UK, and would you prefere to be in NZ

I would much prefer to raise my kids in NZ, go and look at some other posts I have made. My kids have been robbed and chased lots in the UK. Last time my middle one had to hide in bushes, jump fences and knock on somebody's back door to ask to use the phone to call us to pick him up, his friends were so worried when they had to split up they called the police. We then had to go and make a statement. The times this type of thing has happened is too numerous to mention.
My kids are very sporty and don't go out hanging around much at all, we choose to spend our Friday nights taking them to sport matches to avoid them wanting to hang out.
My oldest has chosen to go back to NZ to go to Uni, a trip back last Feb for his 18 birthday convinced him it was the best place. He said that the level of youth agression was non existant compared to the UK and that kids went out to have a good time, not drink so much and just have fun.
We have got ourselves stuck in the ages of our kids, the middle one is very dyslexic and now doing an IT course at the college I work at, has good support and I can keep tabs on what is happening. He is also very good at basketball, playing regional and college and on course for a place in the US.
So for us it is very difficult to make it right for everyone, but in short yes for kids they are kids for much longer in NZ and apart from a few terrible cases like they sick world thread (it happens in the UK too) I believe it is a better place to raise you children.
Good luck with your decission.
KAZ

Debs70 Oct 12th 2005 7:17 pm

[QUOTE=kaz Hen][QUOTE=melting pot]

I would much prefer to raise my kids in NZ, go and look at some other posts I have made. My kids have been robbed and chased lots in the UK. Last time my middle one had to hide in bushes, jump fences and knock on somebody's back door to ask to use the phone to call us to pick him up, his friends were so worried when they had to split up they called the police. We then had to go and make a statement. The times this type of thing has happened is too numerous to mention.
My kids are very sporty and don't go out hanging around much at all, we choose to spend our Friday nights taking them to sport matches to avoid them wanting to hang out.
My oldest has chosen to go back to NZ to go to Uni, a trip back last Feb for his 18 birthday convinced him it was the best place. He said that the level of youth agression was non existant compared to the UK and that kids went out to have a good time, not drink so much and just have fun.
We have got ourselves stuck in the ages of our kids, the middle one is very dyslexic and now doing an IT course at the college I work at, has good support and I can keep tabs on what is happening. He is also very good at basketball, playing regional and college and on course for a place in the US.
So for us it is very difficult to make it right for everyone, but in short yes for kids they are kids for much longer in NZ and apart from a few terrible cases like they sick world thread (it happens in the UK too) I believe it is a better place to raise you children.
Good luck with your decission.
KAZ

I agree with Kaz.. NZ kids are much 'younger' than UK kids... we worried loads about bringing Tom (9yrs) old back to the UK because he'd experienced bullying before we left for NZ.. in NZ he had no problems whatsoever and loved his school in Dunedin. His friends were loyal and just much younger (hard to explain) than the ones he was used to in the UK. Anyway, we came home and wham.. back into a Manchester school.. and we had pure hell!! he had a whole load of hassle with the kids ganging up on him.. he was cornered in the toilets at school and was threatened with having his head pushed down the loo, the kids waited for him after school etc. etc. after numerous trips to the school for meetings with the (unsympathetic and arrogant) head, we pulled him out and sent him to a different school. Thank god, he's settled brilliantly and is even a prefect with nice mates and comes home with a smile on his face once more... but I would still say that the NZ kids are nicer.

Kaz.. your area sounds pretty bad, why have you stayed there so long? wasn't there any chance of moving to a nicer area?

Rascal Oct 13th 2005 12:40 am

I have always found the NZ kids to be far more polite than any in the Uk.
But I will also add that I have found cost of living here v salary to be almost impossible. Also unbearable.

sky Oct 13th 2005 1:10 am

My kids are loving it here in NZ, even if we're not. I agree children stay children a lot longer which is lovely. My eldest son was mugged just before we came here kicked in the head until he was unconcious and stripped of all his designer clothes, hat, phone, trainers etc. Glad to be away from that element. The drug problem concerns me a lot here though!

melting pot Oct 13th 2005 2:01 am

Originally Posted by sky
My kids are loving it here in NZ, even if we're not. I agree children stay children a lot longer which is lovely. My eldest son was mugged just before we came here kicked in the head until he was unconcious and stripped of all his designer clothes, hat, phone, trainers etc. Glad to be away from that element. The drug problem concerns me a lot here though!

I am sorry your child had such a bad experience in the UK, it is what we all fear for our children.
I agree that there does appear to be a drugs issue,but found there to be little coverage of the real issues in NZ, I watch the news at night,and wonder how there appears to be so little crime, and bad things happening, whereas the numbers in prisons, and statistics for crimes in NZ state otherwise.
I am also concerned the schools are so underfunded, and depent heavily on parent donations, when parents are quite clearly already struggling...
It is a real concern the cost of living to alot of people here, and although it is a beautiful "safe"!!?? place to be, fundamentaly... does not help alot of families in the same situation when we cant afford day to day life.

dlummis Oct 13th 2005 7:13 pm

I am sorry your child had such a bad experience in the UK, it is what we all fear for our children.
I agree that there does appear to be a drugs issue,but found there to be little coverage of the real issues in NZ, I watch the news at night,and wonder how there appears to be so little crime, and bad things happening, whereas the numbers in prisons, and statistics for crimes in NZ state otherwise.
I am also concerned the schools are so underfunded, and depent heavily on parent donations, when parents are quite clearly already struggling...
It is a real concern the cost of living to alot of people here, and although it is a beautiful "safe"!!?? place to be, fundamentaly... does not help alot of families in the same situation when we cant afford day to day life.

I may have asked this before but if we are supposed to have so much sterling how the hell do the local people survive? they cant all be leaving for OZ. There must be something we dont know.
But also think about the UK interest rates at a low 4.5% and the poor mid 20 year olds cant live together as they need a huge deposit then pay £800 per month mortgage for 40 years not 25 anymore for a squitty little house, so what the hell is going to happen when the rates go up?
I really hope you get sorted and stay, when we get there in Nov we will struggle and we now we will, once the house is sold in UK that will help but my wages will be less than yours and i have an extra child so alot of poaching and fishing will be put to good use again!!!!.
ps dont tell anyone

babybella Oct 14th 2005 12:30 pm

[QUOTE=Debs70][QUOTE=kaz Hen]

Kaz.. your area sounds pretty bad, why have you stayed there so long? wasn't there any chance of moving to a nicer area?

Hi Deb, the area of Nottingham we are in is very nice but because of that we seem to attract kids from other areas who come in to sell drugs etc.
Also as I am sure you have seen in the news recently other parts of Nottingham have horrendous crime rates.
I wouldn't move from this area unless it was to go back to NZ. My oldest is leaving 3 weeks now so will need lots of cheering up.
Cheers
KAZ

KiwiNZ Oct 15th 2005 1:36 pm

Gosh, some really interesting discussions happening here. Melting Pot, I'm sorry to hear that your family is finding things to be a bit of a struggle at the moment. As a New Zealander who has always lived here, the only suggestion I could possibly make - would be in line with Gill's earlier in this thread. Perhaps look into properties on the outskirts of Auckland because believe me - it really does make a difference in terms of how much you pay in rent. As for the bus fares - goodness me. That in itself had my eyes popping. That's 2 trips to Wellington and back that. I sure hope that something works out for you. Something easier.

Dlummis, in answer to your question about how us locals survive over here... I guess because we have always been here, we are just used to it and despite the difficulties - we do somehow manage to enjoy weekend trips away and holidays every now and then. But you have a good point, many do end up moving to Australia because it is a lot less expensive than here and close enough to home that we can come back and visit often enough.

COWBOY_BUILDER Oct 15th 2005 2:32 pm

[QUOTE=kaz Hen][QUOTE=Debs70]

Hi Deb, the area of Nottingham we are in is very nice but because of that we seem to attract kids from other areas who come in to sell drugs etc.
Also as I am sure you have seen in the news recently other parts of Nottingham have horrendous crime rates.
I wouldn't move from this area unless it was to go back to NZ. My oldest is leaving 3 weeks now so will need lots of cheering up.
Cheers
KAZ

I didn't know Nottingham had nice areas ,tell me where they are and I'll move there... ;) i think Nottingham has deteriorated in recent years :(

dlummis Oct 15th 2005 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by KiwiNZ
Gosh, some really interesting discussions happening here. Melting Pot, I'm sorry to hear that your family is finding things to be a bit of a struggle at the moment. As a New Zealander who has always lived here, the only suggestion I could possibly make - would be in line with Gill's earlier in this thread. Perhaps look into properties on the outskirts of Auckland because believe me - it really does make a difference in terms of how much you pay in rent. As for the bus fares - goodness me. That in itself had my eyes popping. That's 2 trips to Wellington and back that. I sure hope that something works out for you. Something easier.

Dlummis, in answer to your question about how us locals survive over here... I guess because we have always been here, we are just used to it and despite the difficulties - we do somehow manage to enjoy weekend trips away and holidays every now and then. But you have a good point, many do end up moving to Australia because it is a lot less expensive than here and close enough to home that we can come back and visit often enough.

HI kIWINZ
thanks for the inside info thats good enough for me roll on 2nd Nov
Darryn

St George Six Oct 15th 2005 8:55 pm

Hi , I have posted on the subject many times until I am blue in the face :rolleyes: , people in the UK are stiil under the impression that u come to NZ or OZ because u will have lots of money and that it is cheaper to live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You move here becauce you want to live in NZ or Oz and you want the differant lifestyle and experience. IT IS NOT A CHEAP PLACE TO LIVE AND YOU NEED GOOD JOBS AND GOOD PAY. You still have to pay all the same bills you did in UK and there are still the same day to day living problems.

However if you are realistic and can get past all that it is a fantastic place to live and bring up children. But so is Englanf with money.

If you are not realistic before you come here, it will not work, NZ is not a panacea for all your emmotional and finacial problems.

It is one of the best counties in the world to live in and after two years here we would not be anywhere else at moment, although queensland does tempt us some times, when its cold here and it is sometimes.

All the best Kev :)

melting pot Oct 16th 2005 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by St George Six
Hi , I have posted on the subject many times until I am blue in the face :rolleyes: , people in the UK are stiil under the impression that u come to NZ or OZ because u will have lots of money and that it is cheaper to live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You move here becauce you want to live in NZ or Oz and you want the differant lifestyle and experience. IT IS NOT A CHEAP PLACE TO LIVE AND YOU NEED GOOD JOBS AND GOOD PAY. You still have to pay all the same bills you did in UK and there are still the same day to day living problems.

However if you are realistic and can get past all that it is a fantastic place to live and bring up children. But so is Englanf with money.

If you are not realistic before you come here, it will not work, NZ is not a panacea for all your emmotional and finacial problems.

It is one of the best counties in the world to live in and after two years here we would not be anywhere else at moment, although queensland does tempt us some times, when its cold here and it is sometimes.

All the best Kev :)

I think everyone would agree that you realise that wherever you live,the bills always need to be paid,I dont dispute that,just hadnt expected them to be so high in comparison to earnings, and yes certainly,if you have always lived here, you would not know any different,and would be accostomed to paying them. Certainly moving to a cheaper area is an option,but isnt that always the same in whichever county you live in !!
And maybe only 1 salary is always going to be tight,so me going back to work seems an inevitable option too.
It is the intention of many to try and make family lives easier, by making changes to there lives, and moving around the world, and certainly NZ, is a beautiful country to be in, and so is the UK, I know it has it pitfalls too, 60million people is bound to have its benifits, and down sides...and 4million in NZ the same.
It has never been our intention to make ourlives harder, we want to be able to return to visit family every 18 months, and certainly in the UK we would have been able to just about save to be able to do the trips here to visit family. but if we stay,we will not be able to return as often,certainly after savings have been spent,I dont know how we would achieve a trip back at all. I personaly dont want to feel that I have made a change that makes me feel stranded in another part of the world,or of a detriment to my family so maybe in time ( or when the money dries up) we will return,but having enjoyed the experience here. we have family in both countries,and yes I do miss home terribly so may be it was wrong for me to have came here in the first place,but then did not know how I would feel about home till its not there. I certainly dont want to discourage anyone from choosing to come here,and unsettle those that have already done so. But I do think you need to be clear on why you choose to come,and what you want to achieve here.It is an expensive country to live in,the employment terms are far worse, you couldnt be any further from the uk, and NZ has its own set of social,migrant issues....every country does....so those coming...be sure of what you are hoping for !!

sky Oct 16th 2005 10:49 pm

Fantastic post Melting Pot :)

wigfield1000 Oct 17th 2005 5:19 am

Hi,

We've lived on the North Shore of Auckland for three and a half years, with our three small boys.

Lifestyle for the children (and us is out of this world). Lots of beaches, sport, outdoor activities.

Safety and lack of crime (compared to England) is also a huge bonus.

Home Educating is relatively mainstream and you get paid an allowance to help you with it.

Petrol is almost half the price of England, as is car insurance and warrant of fitness tests.

The downside is that wages are very lowwwwww and we have to pay to go to the Doctors. Also there are too many adverts between the films on a Saturday night! Other than that there is nothing, for us, to miss from England except our families.

Have you enquired to the Inland Revenue about family support/assistance top up payments? I'm not sure of the requirements, but it might be worth asking. Also a Community Service Card might help with Doctor's visits and prescriptions, if you are eligible.

Dental is expensive. However, if you are in pain you can go to the Greenlane Hospital's Oral Health Department at a certain time each day for emergency pain relief (cost $40) and they will refer you on for public treatment at a much, much reduced rate to private Dentists.

Exchange rates are not good at all, at present, if you are wishing to bring money over from England, but the Banks are all suggesting that this hight dollar will not go on too far into 2006 (nothing lasts for ever).

Good luck,
I hope you sort things out for your family.

PS Have you tried Playcentres - they are absolutely brilliant (and cheap) to belong to and wonderful for small children and their parents. A great way to make new friends in New Zealand.

melting pot Oct 17th 2005 7:04 am

Originally Posted by wigfield1000
Hi,

We've lived on the North Shore of Auckland for three and a half years, with our three small boys.

Lifestyle for the children (and us is out of this world). Lots of beaches, sport, outdoor activities.

Safety and lack of crime (compared to England) is also a huge bonus.

Home Educating is relatively mainstream and you get paid an allowance to help you with it.

Petrol is almost half the price of England, as is car insurance and warrant of fitness tests.

The downside is that wages are very lowwwwww and we have to pay to go to the Doctors. Also there are too many adverts between the films on a Saturday night! Other than that there is nothing, for us, to miss from England except our families.

Have you enquired to the Inland Revenue about family support/assistance top up payments? I'm not sure of the requirements, but it might be worth asking. Also a Community Service Card might help with Doctor's visits and prescriptions, if you are eligible.

Dental is expensive. However, if you are in pain you can go to the Greenlane Hospital's Oral Health Department at a certain time each day for emergency pain relief (cost $40) and they will refer you on for public treatment at a much, much reduced rate to private Dentists.

Exchange rates are not good at all, at present, if you are wishing to bring money over from England, but the Banks are all suggesting that this hight dollar will not go on too far into 2006 (nothing lasts for ever).

Good luck,
I hope you sort things out for your family.

PS Have you tried Playcentres - they are absolutely brilliant (and cheap) to belong to and wonderful for small children and their parents. A great way to make new friends in New Zealand.

it has been great weather this week end, and yes enjoyed going to the beaches,and visited some kiwis, that my husband works with for afternoon tea in Devonport ( which of course is beautiful ) so we do go out and enjoy ourselves. that as you will see from my thread hasn't been the issue, and the North Shore does have a nice feel to it.

My husband and I both grew up by the sea, Devon, and Cornwall, so know that the seaside is always a great place to take kids to.

I believe that my husband is earning above the threshold for any support from the gov...so hey ho...never mind..

arriving 3 1/2 year ago, you probably came just at the right time, as far as house prices, and conversion rates, so maybe that is how you are able to cope with the finances...I am not trying to delve into your private situation, or income, but maybe you might be able to see from my previous threads the amounts we are spending,/earning and advise if I could be doing anything differently to lower my costs, grocery, etc....

As for dentists...it is also another concern, our 3 yr old has a genetic condition which means will need some orthodontic work in the future...approx costs coming back at $10 - $12k...yes you did read right thousand that is...so also a consideration for the future.

I am certainly looking forward to the summer now, and see what happens into the new year....the saddest part will be to end up loving it here, and then having to return...but have to just enjoy what we can ( without spending money) and see what transpires...but any tips...from anyone...most appreciated...
x

sky Oct 17th 2005 7:54 am

My husband gets paid fortnightly and we usually have no money left after the first wk, I shop fortnightly and spend about $300 cos it's cheaper to buy in bulk.
Hubbys boss has said we can use his land to store wood on so we are going to order eleven ton of the stuff and chop it up ourselves because it is cheaper to buy that way apparently.
I suppose there are ways and means to live cheaply here but it's hard finding out for about the first two years lol.
We get a lot of inside info off our neighbours now and kiwi friends we have made but an awful lot of them are finding it hard to keep their heads above water here too.
According to a recent article in the papers the only way a lot of kiwis are maintaining their lifestyles is by getting up to their necks in debt.
It can be a bit embarrassing being a poor pom in NZ cos they always expect you to be rolling in it :D

shazzafromnz Oct 18th 2005 10:43 pm

Hi
I feel really sad for you when I read posts like this because Auckland is a VERY expensive part of New Zealand to live. and.your experience of living here may be somewhat different if you lived somewhere else ,but I suppose you are there because your husbands work can only be found in Auckland?
Also petrol costs tend to be higher there too because of the amount burned on that jolly motorway!!
We live on one salary and our groceries are alot less but we dont live in Auckland! I have lived there though!
Best wishes
Shazza

wigfield1000 Oct 18th 2005 11:23 pm

Hi Melting Pot,

How is it going? I've just re-read your original post and see that you've been here for just six months. I got extremely homesick about this time. For me the holiday was over and I had to start doing all the normal things and I would have hopped on the next plane back to England given half the chance. Many people have told me that this is a most common feeling to have around this time.

However, I have been thinking on ways that you might reduce your expenses. $300 on food, nappies etc. does sound an awful lot. I spend $200 and that includes beer and wine, food and cleaning things, for two adults and three boys. Where do you do your general shopping? We find Pak n Save to be the best place to do our big shop, topped up by Vegetable Shops during the week.

Real (washable) nappies save a fortune and your kids get out of them a load quicker, because they feel themselves wet! I had twin 1 year olds when we first arrived here and used to save $40 a week by using washables.

Always buy milk at the Veg. Shop NOT the supermarket. Veg. Shop is loads cheaper. We save around $7 a week on this alone. Also never buy Vegetables in the supermarket - go to the Veg. shop loads cheaper.

If you like Steak, you can live like a King. I could never afford it in England and sometimes (when it's on special $9.99kg, we get sick of the stuff)! Also Mussels, a real delicacy, are soooo cheeeaaap..............

I guess I have to agree that we don't find we lead a rich 'monetory' life. We do, however, have access to a rich lifestyle with the beaches, safe, friendly environment and opportunities to be really self reliant. For example, we found the most beautiful couch put out for the Inorganic Rubbish Collection. I had the cushions recovered and it looks a million dollars!

Did you say that you were living on the North Shore? There is a Community Shop in Glenfield that sells end of line (in date) food and the bread is free every day.

We don't have house insurance or life insurance, but I guess that is just a personal decision.

It sounds like we lead a really hard, basic life. So I do have to add that the BOTOX treatments are also much, much cheaper here, so I get those done too.

I do hope things start to sort out for you. Sounds like you had pressure from family to be here too, which makes it all the more harder for you to make the decision as to whether you want to be here or not.

Good Luck,
At least the Summer's coming. At the end of my six months, we were in the middle of a very rainy winter! We have, also, never purchased a house, so missed out on the biggest housing boom that NZ has ever had - never mind I'm sure it will sort itself out!

Take care,
From
Wigfield1000

melting pot Oct 19th 2005 2:00 am

[QUOTE=wigfield1000]Hi Melting Pot,

How is it going? I've just re-read your original post and see that you've been here for just six months. I got extremely homesick about this time. For me the holiday was over and I had to start doing all the normal things and I would have hopped on the next plane back to England given half the chance. Many people have told me that this is a most common feeling to have around this time.

Well sun has been shinning last few days so always cheers you up...failing that it was the prospect of going to Docs for Prozac...but the cost of going, let alone prescription keeps that thought at bay.

I shop using Pak n Sav, and Food Town, and Veg shops....so a mixture, and find every other day probably going to get something...the baby goes through fruit and veg like a large caterpillar !!

I had considered washable nappies...but the thought of I must admit puts me off.....so I now consider them to be the one luxury item he has...I have 2 boys...so he has nothing new...so the only expense he has is on his bottom...tried all sorts of cheaper brands...and unfortunately not as good as the better brands.. so this and the formula milk, wipes is approx $60 each week, on a good week can get shopping to $275 inc above...but then had family descend on us which broke the bank....so overall still find it difficult to be much less really

I agree there is lots to do out and about without money, pic nics at beaches, parks etc...

but trying to get down our costs each month seems near on impossible...and now Christmas looming, so the next month or 2 will be even worse, just been looking at the prices of kids toys.....cant believe the prices of some of them...Santa's bags will be much lighter at least !!

We are not looking to be rich...raising a family is always a juggling act...but I do want to be able to save to visit family in the UK, I feel its important to make sure the children still see grandparents, uncles, aunts....and yes...I would go back in a heart beat.. my husband and I are back on talking terms, opposed to being at each others throats for the past 6 months, and he does see that his parents have not been totally honest with him, and since we told them that financially having problems...always phoning, wanting to visit....and become very needy !!! they need things doing at there house, diy, advice..etc etc, but he said himself he knows that they are trying to make us want to stay if only for them....unfortunately...this wont be the case...we came because we wanted to...although encouraged...but will go back even if discouraged...so.. there we are but thats families isn't it.

We are looking forward to the summer now, so certainly wont be going anywhere till after that, Christmas approaching with mixed feelings...but with children in the home, the best time of year too.

I read other peoples threads on here, and what great times they are having, and it makes me feel guilty for questioning being here in the first place, yes of course how could you not enjoy the lifestyle...we do....its the basics we want to sort out...money isn't everything, I know...but need to at least be getting close to braking even each month to live here.
Thanks for your advice.
p.s where do you get botox, and cost....I feel like a treat....

wigfield1000 Oct 19th 2005 2:34 am

Hi Melting Pot,

First things first - Botox is at St. Marks Women's Health, Wairau Road, Glenfield. I think it's $350 or $375. I find it amazing. My husband thinks I'm mad, but it certainly gives me a boost.

The family thing seems to be big for you. I had similar feelings whilst in England, with my husbands parents, always popping in, giving advice and trying to organise me. I must admit that being in NZ, provides me with a lot more independence and the wonderful ability to do things without anyone making comment. We have no one here, just the five of us.

Still not sure if you're on the North Shore, but if so here's a few ideas:

Check out Hoyts Cinemas for the 'Cans Film Festival', coming soon early November. You buy a tins of Watties and exchange then for cinema tickets (loads of kids films to choose from). They also do a Mum's and Tots session at a greatly reduced rate, once a month I believe, with dimmed lighting for easy feeding and nappy changing. Check out www.hoyts.co.nz

There will be loads of free events happening over Christmas. The Santa Parade in Auckland is amazing and the parking in the multistory car parks is free for the period of the parade. There is a Symphony in the Park and Christmas in the Park. www.arc.govt.nz (I think).

North Shore Councils provide free Kid's Days, where play equipment is provided and events organised. My kids love them. Devonport and East Coast Bays do this for sure. They also have loads of Santa Parades on the North Shore - I love them too - probably something to do with the Prozac! Much reduced dose now, but certainly the best thing I ever discovered, particularly with small children and husbands at work all day. Before, I always felt that I should cope on my own. However, it could be the best $60 spent at the Doctors. The Doctors over here seem so much more understanding of mental stress and are very helpful. This is an experience that I found differed hugely from my Doctors visits in England, even though they were free.

I'm trying to think of other ways that we get by. Op. Shops are great around the North Shore, as there is such a high class of pre-loved clothes. I have some fantastic designer labels that I paid just a couple of dollars for. My last find was a perfectly fitting pair of, new, 501's for $4.

Museum is free for kids and $5 for adults. Great Kids Area, where they will be amused for hours. Parking is free for two or three hours outside of the museum.

Art Gallery is also free.

How old are your children?

I'll keep thinking and get back to you if I think of anything else.

Good luck with it all.
Kind regards,
Wigfield1000

Gill and Rob Oct 19th 2005 3:12 am

[QUOTE=melting pot]

Hi Melting Pot,

but trying to get down our costs each month seems near on impossible...and now Christmas looming, so the next month or 2 will be even worse, just been looking at the prices of kids toys.....cant believe the prices of some of them...Santa's bags will be much lighter at least !!

Well here is some good new for you..... kids are not as materialistic in NZ so they will not have the peer pressure they would have had in the UK. We spent a fortune on our 2 girls for thier first Xmas in NZ, only to be a little embarresed when thier friends told us what they had got. Xmas is now a lot cheaper for us. I think a lot of it is to do with the fact that Xmas is in the middle of summer and people are thinking about the beach more than Xmas.

Rob

sky Oct 19th 2005 3:45 am

Who wants to rely on an anti depressant though to be able to enjoy a country ... I have been on them myself for a short while but decided they weren't the answer and it wasn't me it was other external things making me feel down.

Those Botox treatments sound expensive to me how much are they in the UK?

Melting pot I think you will be able to get family assistance, you need to ring the inland revenue up to ask, as you may at least be able to get a community card to get cheap prozac with :D even if no extra cash.

Bulk shopping has helped me to budget, not that I thought I would be having to watch every cent in NZ but hey ho I just get on with it but do still have my very low days.

The sun always helps doesn't it :)

sky Oct 19th 2005 3:47 am

Hi Melting Pot,

Check out Hoyts Cinemas for the 'Cans Film Festival', coming soon early November. You buy a tins of Watties and exchange then for cinema tickets (loads of kids films to choose from).

Is this happening country wide, it sounds a bargain!

wigfield1000 Oct 19th 2005 3:54 am

Originally Posted by sky
Is this happening country wide, it sounds a bargain!

A small donation goes a long way!
On Monday November 7th 2005, Hoyts will again be holding the annual Hoyts Watties Cans Film Festival. Entry is FREE to any of the following films at any participating Hoyts cinema when you donate a can of Wattie's food.

Trading of Cans and Tickets commences on the 31st October 2005. All tickets to festival films are based on a 1 ticket per can of food and first in first served basis. No rainchecks are offered for this event.

All proceeds are donated to the Salvation Army Christmas Foodbank Appeal

Wairau Park - Auckland

Herbie: Fully Loaded

The Pacifier

Bewitched

Hitch

Charlie & the Chocolate Factory

Madagascar

Fantastic Four

Robots

Lower Hutt - Wellington

Are We There Yet?

Robots

Madagascar

Fantastic Four

Manners Mall - Wellington

Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants

Miss Congeniality 2

Sahara

Madagascar

Riccarton - Christchurch

Bewitched

The Pacifier

The Adventures of Sharkboy & Lavagirl in 3D

Robots

Moorhouse - Christchurch

Be Cool

Are We There Yet?

The Pacifier

The Heffalump Movie

Fantastic Four

Madagascar

Northlands - Christchurch

Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants

The Perfect Catch

Are We There Yet?

Robots

Regent on Worcester - Christchurch

Finding Neverland

Raise Your Voice

Monster In Law

The Perfect Catch

Octagon - Dunedin

Finding Neverland

Robots

Madagascar

Fantastic Four

Hope this helps Sky

sky Oct 19th 2005 4:06 am

Yes it did :D thank you very much for that info :D , thats fab we live in Christchurch.

wigfield1000 Oct 19th 2005 4:08 am

Hi Sky,

Making the decision to take an anti-depressant is a very personal one, which of course can only be decided upon by the individual.

I, however, took Prozac to cope with my twin one year olds and three year old in a new country and can only say that it worked wonderfully for me.

Anti-depressants are a bit of a 'taboo' subject (albeit less so in New Zealand than in England).

If someone really needs to take them, it would be shame if they didn't get this help because they felt embaressed or thought others would think less of them.

Good luck to everyone in whatever route they choose to take.