Weta

Old Nov 26th 2008, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Stef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud of
Talking Weta

Random thread guys...sorry about this but I have to ask...have any of you ever seen a Weta in your houses / gardens etc or out on your travels? I have discovered on in my garage this afternoon after it jumped at me...they are MASSIVE!!!!!! My bearded dragon in England could have lived off one of these guys for a month! hee hee. They are actually quite cute and I have him in a glass ready to show Paul when he gets home (it only just fit in the pint glass mind you, its body is as long as my mobile phone!). It jumped so high! Are there any other massive insects up in Auckland I need to worry about? Hee hee.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 1:36 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weta

We get them in our garden.
Very occasionally in the house.

I find them fascinating - especially that mechanical walk they have.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 1:58 am
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Only nasty insects that frequent Jafa land is Estate agents and car dealers !!

The Weta's down in deep south are nowhere near as big as that, maybe its because they live on the hot volcanic soil of Jafa land ha ha

Or live off the posh food scraps in Ponsonby
Old Nov 26th 2008, 2:21 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stef_Paul
Random thread guys...sorry about this but I have to ask...have any of you ever seen a Weta in your houses / gardens etc or out on your travels? I have discovered on in my garage this afternoon after it jumped at me...they are MASSIVE!!!!!! My bearded dragon in England could have lived off one of these guys for a month! hee hee. They are actually quite cute and I have him in a glass ready to show Paul when he gets home (it only just fit in the pint glass mind you, its body is as long as my mobile phone!). It jumped so high! Are there any other massive insects up in Auckland I need to worry about? Hee hee.

I have instructions on how to build a weta hotel...

If I can find a copy of the instructions which don't have copyright I will post them here. Otherwise, if you wanted to build a hotel let me know and I could email/post them to you. A weta hotel is basically a piece of wood with clear perspex attached to it. When the weta's are in the wood you can peek in on them
Old Nov 26th 2008, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

When we lived in Ak my neighbour had a huge one come in her window and she came round to get me to help. The amusing thing was that she was off to be a missionary in some primitive place. Not a good start. We caught it eventually under a huge glass and let it go outside. I certainly couldn't stomach squashing it. They are quite lovely in an ugly sort of way.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:10 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwinow
They are quite lovely in an ugly sort of way.
Yep. Lovely in the sense that after a nuclear war, it will be cockroaches and weta which survive!

Incidentally, I agee. They are quite cool.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:32 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwinow
When we lived in Ak my neighbour had a huge one come in her window and she came round to get me to help. The amusing thing was that she was off to be a missionary in some primitive place. Not a good start. We caught it eventually under a huge glass and let it go outside. I certainly couldn't stomach squashing it. They are quite lovely in an ugly sort of way.
I'm 99% sure they are all protected as well so squishing one is probably illegal or something.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

I've lived here for thirty plus years and never knew that, but in any case....who would be brave enough?
Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

lyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nice

Hi all,

Excuse the ignorance, but, what is a weta??
Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyndanchris
Hi all,

Thank you a question i too was thinking.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyndanchris
Hi all,

I feel a "Cue Mr Clubley photo opportunity" coming on

You'll be sorry you asked
Old Nov 26th 2008, 5:34 pm
Happy in Wellington

Your wish is my comand

These little cuties!

And in certain remote islands there are giant ones!

Old Nov 26th 2008, 5:35 pm
Happy in Wellington

Forgot to say - they are harmless - they will give you a nip if you upset them but they eat rotting vegetation and are not venomous.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

lyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nicelyndanchris is just really nice

Thanks Rob, that would have been my next question!!!! They look nasty LOL!!!
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

OMG Please dont let the cat bring one of those in i will die, especially if the little buggers can jump, dont mind the mice but don't do creepies yuuuuuk to make it worse at the back of the house is a valley full of bush so i just keep waiting to see what hes going to come dragging through the cat flap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.