British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   We're - quite literally - off to NZ!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/were-quite-literally-off-nz-418751/)

Wiz'n'Ton Jan 22nd 2007 1:44 am

Re: We're - quite literally - off to NZ!!!!

Originally Posted by Batty (Post 4300736)
Hey there. It's good to hit the ground running - sort all the important stuff out first and then relax. At least that's the way I am - I can't relax at all until I've got everything I need to sorted out. Enjoy your new life.

Exactly - to be honest, it was also a way of distracting ourselves from the awful feelings of dread we had during our forst couple of days here. That 'What the F&^# have we done' feeling is a bitch to shift when you're homeless and jobless, and strangers in a big city.

It's faded now, and we're rapidly moving things forward, so hopefully only good will come. Here's hoping anyway!

Cheers,

Wiz

Apple12 Jan 22nd 2007 2:59 am

It is so interesting to see the contrast between your posts and the posts of Mcuddy1, it is almost as if you have landed in a completely different city, who would guess that you are in the same place at the same time, and having arrived at much the same time too.
Glad you are enjoying the buskers festival, isn't it great. There are heaps of free things going on in ChCh, and this is one of the best, so funny.
You sound like you are making heaps of progress, just make sure that you take a day off to be proper tourists, it is so important to give yourself a "weekend" from all the stresses of all the changes.
I do recommend looking at houses around my side of town - Somerfield, St Martins, Beckenham. Very close to town and a nice community feeling. Nice and close to the hills too for walks etc.
Congrats and good luck for the interview.

pixi-dust Jan 22nd 2007 3:16 am

Good luck you guys, sounds like you are managing to get setteld well ( or as well as you can on the other side of the world) It does all feel funny for a wee while - but your posts sound really happy! :D

Wiz'n'Ton Jan 22nd 2007 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Apple12 (Post 4310753)
It is so interesting to see the contrast between your posts and the posts of Mcuddy1, it is almost as if you have landed in a completely different city, who would guess that you are in the same place at the same time, and having arrived at much the same time too.

I do recommend looking at houses around my side of town - Somerfield, St Martins, Beckenham. Very close to town and a nice community feeling. Nice and close to the hills too for walks etc.
Congrats and good luck for the interview.

Cheers for the words Apple12, as it looks like they may have paid off! Job offer on the way after a 1hr interview, and for a decent starting salary too. Just the flat to go (will hear about that tomorrow) and we're sorted!!! We are very, VERY :D at the moment.

Gonna have a few jars tonight to celebrate if all goes well with the 'meet your team-mates' thing at 3pm this avo.

I know what you mean re experiences. I reckon you get out what you put in, but for the first 2 days here we felt dreadful and that we'd made the biggest mistake of our lives. Seems Mccuddy1 has had a bit of a 'mare re the letting and that, and I do feel for him, as to have that on top of the reality of being here is one massive burden to carry - plus the worry about your children too. (we have none).

Ah well, onwards and upwards, and we look forward to checking out the places you've mentioned for housing.

All the best, and more soon once this job's in the bag, :D

Wiz'n'Ton

Jude J Jan 22nd 2007 11:34 pm

That's fantastic news...well done you. :thumbup:
Is it starting to feel like home? A bit? Takes time, vastly different to Southend hey? :)

poppets Jan 23rd 2007 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton (Post 4314265)
Cheers for the words Apple12, as it looks like they may have paid off! Job offer on the way after a 1hr interview, and for a decent starting salary too. Just the flat to go (will hear about that tomorrow) and we're sorted!!! We are very, VERY :D at the moment.

Gonna have a few jars tonight to celebrate if all goes well with the 'meet your team-mates' thing at 3pm this avo.

I know what you mean re experiences. I reckon you get out what you put in, but for the first 2 days here we felt dreadful and that we'd made the biggest mistake of our lives. Seems Mccuddy1 has had a bit of a 'mare re the letting and that, and I do feel for him, as to have that on top of the reality of being here is one massive burden to carry - plus the worry about your children too. (we have none).

Ah well, onwards and upwards, and we look forward to checking out the places you've mentioned for housing.

All the best, and more soon once this job's in the bag, :D

Wiz'n'Ton

well done, glad you're settling in well, have fun xx

Batty Jan 23rd 2007 5:19 am

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton (Post 4314265)
for the first 2 days here we felt dreadful and that we'd made the biggest mistake of our lives.

Wiz'n'Ton

If it makes you feel any better I was like that for about a month after we got here :ohmy: My husband reminded me about the article on culture shock and I read it again and realised that what I was feeling was entirely normal. I was going out of my way looking for all the 'bad' things (which really were only 'different' things) and came to the conclusion that my time was much better spent looking for the 'good' things - funnily enough I found them just as easily :thumbup: I think no matter how enthusiastic you are about the move you can still be bogged down by something akin to shell shock.

Danemad Jan 23rd 2007 7:16 am

Hi Wiz and Toni and congratulations! My DP and I are from Southend too! We are currently in Spain (3 yrs in) and are restless and after much deliberation have decided to try and apply for NZ.

I notice from your threads that you went out there before you got a job... it seems that now, no EOI are being considered below 140 points with no job offer.

We also are aiming to go to Auckland as I have a cousin there. What are your comparisons between Auckland and CC having seen both (albeit briefly)?

Well done again! Hope you get yourselves sorted!

eeagles Jan 23rd 2007 8:56 am

Well done Wiz'n'Ton. Glad all's going well for you.

Wiz'n'Ton Jan 24th 2007 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Jude J (Post 4314286)
That's fantastic news...well done you. :thumbup:
Is it starting to feel like home? A bit? Takes time, vastly different to Southend hey? :)

Cheers JJ :)

Re Southend? Ha - not 'arf! JUST a little bit different. Getting to know our way around now, and it is all so strange. It's SO flat here, to get about I mean, as we've not gone into the hills yet. And we thought Southend was flat!

Loving it so far though.

Just had my job confirmed. It's all good :D :D :thumbup:

Jude J Jan 24th 2007 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton (Post 4318670)
Cheers JJ :)

Re Southend? Ha - not 'arf! JUST a little bit different. Getting to know our way around now, and it is all so strange. It's SO flat here, to get about I mean, as we've not gone into the hills yet. And we thought Southend was flat!

Loving it so far though.

Just had my job confirmed. It's all good :D :D :thumbup:

cool, time to celebrate then! Hows the house hunting coming on? I am about to leave work for the day but Ill be here tomorrow to catch up :beer:

Wiz'n'Ton Jan 24th 2007 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Danemad (Post 4315087)
Hi Wiz and Toni and congratulations! My DP and I are from Southend too! We are currently in Spain (3 yrs in) and are restless and after much deliberation have decided to try and apply for NZ.

Well, it seems as good a place as any to go. Obviously we are just a week in so far, but people and things have treated us well so far. Unusually well in fact. We are waiting for the drop form our current happy place!

I notice from your threads that you went out there before you got a job... it seems that now, no EOI are being considered below 140 points with no job offer.

We've taken a gamble on my wife getting a 12 month+ contract as a primary school teacher. We have yet to get her NZQA assessment back, but remain confident that when it comes we should be able to sort something out relatively quickly. Plus, we can extend our visas to 23 months if needs be. A big plus from my new emplyer (yay! :) ) is that they've said if I do well, they'd be willing to sponsor my residency application. To say trhat was a deal-maker, is a bit of an understatyement and the pressure is now off Toni a little.

We also are aiming to go to Auckland as I have a cousin there. What are your comparisons between Auckland and CC having seen both (albeit briefly)?

Well done again! Hope you get yourselves sorted!

They are 2 very different places. Auckland is busy, hilly, and very pretty in places. Christchurch is flat, less busy, and it takes no-time to get out into lovely countryside/ to the beach. Apart from that, I don't know what else yet. Will update you when we've got more of a view.

Cheers,

Wiz

Danemad Jan 24th 2007 7:26 am

Hi Wiz,

So can I assume you went out there and then applied for jobs? I have to say I´m getting very confused as to which route to take. I can´t see how you can get a job offer without being out there to give an interview though some people have managed it. Did you go through the whole prosess of EOI first and wait to be approved before you went out there?

Wiz'n'Ton Jan 28th 2007 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Danemad (Post 4319124)
Hi Wiz,

So can I assume you went out there and then applied for jobs? I have to say I´m getting very confused as to which route to take. I can´t see how you can get a job offer without being out there to give an interview though some people have managed it. Did you go through the whole prosess of EOI first and wait to be approved before you went out there?

Hey Danemad,

Yup, you'd be right - we just came out here, and applied for loads of jobs on both www.seek.co.nz and www.trademe.co.nz - we blitzed them! Did loads of applying before we left the UK, but the story was always the same: 'call us when you get here to arrange an interview'. The lady I finally got the job with (Select Industrial Recuitment, Blenheim Road, Chrishchurch - once I start I'll stick my details up on here, see if I can help any of you folks coming to the South Island get work!) was well surprised when I called after landing in ChCh to arrange an interview! She said that although they get a number of job enquiries, they all come with 'but I am waiting for this visa/ that bit of paperwork etc' and that puts people off. We came over with 12 month work visa's, and once Toni has a permanent contract, we'll be applying for residency straight away.

We've yet to submit an EOI!

If the rules have changed by then, and we can't get in for any reason, then we'll be gutted, but will at least have taken the chance. As it stands though, Select have said they will try and sponsor me in our residency application, which is flippin' brilliant news!

So, all things considered, we're both pretty chuffed with the move so far - and have yet to encounter any really major negatives. Hope this continues

All the best, and feel free to PM me if I can help any more,

Wiz

Smelly Cat Jan 28th 2007 3:42 pm

Hi

Sounds like you are having loads of fun, can i ask what visa it is that you have gone out on and how you went about applying??? We are planning on also just going out and blitz the job sene and try to get a job when there rather than back in the UK, although we are going to the London Expo in march and hope to speak to agencies while there.

Hope the flat hunting has gone ok.

Fi & Rich