Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

We're here! A question about fences...

We're here! A question about fences...

Old Oct 14th 2013, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

tiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud of
Default We're here! A question about fences...

We got here last Tuesday after surviving a sleepless 11 hour flight, a sleepless 8 hour layover and a turbulent but sleepy 13 hour flight with three under 5s. I'm still waiting for my medal

In the last week we've managed to find ourselves a nice little rental in Ngunguru and are moving in either later today or tomorrow morning - we have 6 or 7 weeks ahead of us on foam mattresses with nothing to do besides go out until our stuff arrives I'm so ready for my container, feeling quite homesick and the homeless feeling does not help!

Anyway the house is on the top of a hill and the hill descends into bush and is quite a drop. I'm not laid back enough yet to just hope the kids won't ever decide to go fetch a ball or something so the landlord has said he's happy for me to put up a fence. I'm thinking of just doing one of those little fences that all the farms seem to have with simple stakes in the ground joined by lines of wire. I'm feeling totally lost as to where to buy stuff and how to do stuff - it sounds like a really dumb question but how would I do this and where would I get the stuff to do it? Any handi(wo)men out there who can give me some pointers?
Old Oct 14th 2013, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

S_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: We're here! A question about fences...

Not sure if it's the sort of thing you're after...
http://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/buildi..._x_10m_180599/
Old Oct 14th 2013, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S_and_T
Not sure if it's the sort of thing you're after...
http://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/buildi..._x_10m_180599/
Don't think so, that's chicken wire. Think OP is referring to the solid posts with wires strung between and battens stapled between the solid posts. The sort you see on all the farms.
I only know of fencing firms that do it (or farmers). Would be a bugger to dig the post holes and strain the wires if it's not something you really know how to do.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Like this?
Attached Thumbnails We're here! A question about fences...-fences.png  
Old Oct 14th 2013, 6:07 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

What you need is some waratah's (a steel post you bang in the ground).

Visit your local CRT or PGG Wrightson.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

tiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud oftiger mama has much to be proud of

j19fmm that's what I had in mind. How would I find a farmer to come do that for me? I think my ideas of finding perfectly shaped driftwood, hammering it lightly into the soil and stapling wire to it are probably not going to work out so well in reality! :P catchafire I've just tried googling waratahs and all it's bringing up is Aussie sports teams!
Old Oct 14th 2013, 7:03 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Try "Waratah Standards"
Old Oct 14th 2013, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tiger mama
j19fmm that's what I had in mind. How would I find a farmer to come do that for me? I think my ideas of finding perfectly shaped driftwood, hammering it lightly into the soil and stapling wire to it are probably not going to work out so well in reality! :P catchafire I've just tried googling waratahs and all it's bringing up is Aussie sports teams!
Are you near Whangarei? If so try contacting Paul Errington at Hire a Hubby Whangarei, say Hire a Hubby in Kerikeri sent you. If he doesn't do it himself he'll have contacts no doubt.
Or try a Google of fencing contractors. If you don't have any joy let me know and I'll have a go at finding someone
Old Oct 15th 2013, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Are you near Whangarei? If so try contacting Paul Errington at Hire a Hubby Whangarei, say Hire a Hubby in Kerikeri sent you. If he doesn't do it himself he'll have contacts no doubt.
Or try a Google of fencing contractors. If you don't have any joy let me know and I'll have a go at finding someone
Any luck Tiger mama
Old Oct 16th 2013, 6:01 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Post and wire fencing is a pretty expensive option for a rental- I'd go for the option Catchafire suggest; not pretty, but will do the job and you can take it with you when you go.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 8:40 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Post and wire fencing is a pretty expensive option for a rental- I'd go for the option Catchafire suggest; not pretty, but will do the job and you can take it with you when you go.
So would I. Worked fine for a young family with a toddler & a dog next door. Their fence went 'missing' when a sub-division was approved at the bottom of our sections & the developer preferred to buy a new toy than pay for new fencing. We were orange for many months.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 12:35 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
So would I. Worked fine for a young family with a toddler & a dog next door. Their fence went 'missing' when a sub-division was approved at the bottom of our sections & the developer preferred to buy a new toy than pay for new fencing. We were orange for many months.
There's probably a market for a more neutral colour of that fencing!
Old Oct 17th 2013, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
There's probably a market for a more neutral colour of that fencing!
Number 8 wire at its best.

Old Oct 17th 2013, 12:41 am
---

I bet every single one of those bras came off an overseas visitor. Each woman then spent the following week traipsing round Farmers et al in utter disbelief about the cost of bras. Some of them look in fine nick; tell me where that fence is and I will go and harvest me some underwear.