Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wellington and Wages

Wellington and Wages

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wellington and Wages

Originally Posted by ukkiwi
Getting a second salary will help no end

Also dont go above 20% of your net pay for rent or mortgage
That seems a bit low, mortgage stress is usually defined as spending above 30% of your gross income. (still a pretty rough guide, will obvious differ greatly on whether you earn $4,000 a month or $20,000)
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

I think that wage is an average wage, although generally in Wellington people earn a bit more and this is what allows them to live there. With another part time wage you'll find things easier, and with only one child you'll be OK, but you won't have a lot of spare. Many NZ'ers, especially in the cities, can't afford to live without two full time wages.

I worked in Wellington hospital and personally I wouldn't want to live in the surrounding area with kids and would travel a bit further. There is good public transport and people commute from the Hutt Valley and up as far as the Kapiti Coast to Waikanae for the better lifestyle and often cheaper housing.

I'm confused by the comment that Wellington is "remote". From what?
It's very central, it's a buzzing and beautiful city with loads of cultural happenings and a great choice of good schools.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwinow

I'm confused by the comment that Wellington is "remote". From what?
Remote from anything else apart from Wellington.
Its surrounded by sea on three sides.
North of Paraparam, a two hour drive gets you to nothing much at all apart from the Tararuas. Oh, Palmerston North I nearly forgot.

Compared to somewhere like, I dunno, Windsor, Wellington is very very remote IMO.

Plonk a city like Wellington where Lands End is in England and imagine living there, but with less towns and villages around.

Yeah there is a fair amount going on in Wellington, but after a while you realise that your opportunities to get out of it may be rather limited.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

I guess you put your finger on the difference between UK and downunder, whether that be Oz or NZ - there are long travelling distances to anywhere.

Most NZ cities are 2 hours drive from the next large city, because that was a day's travel on a horse (I understand). Auckland is pretty isolated too in that case and which of those cities are the best to live in has been hotly debated. It depends what opportunities you want to make the most of.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:28 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Much of New Zealand is remote. It's why even the small towns are (were) generally pretty self sufficient.

Apart from the Auckland spread, Tauranga and Hamilton, a lot of towns are pretty much 'separate' from the next.

It's probably a fair point for much of New Zealand!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
Remote from anything else apart from Wellington.
Its surrounded by sea on three sides.
North of Paraparam, a two hour drive gets you to nothing much at all apart from the Tararuas. Oh, Palmerston North I nearly forgot.

Compared to somewhere like, I dunno, Windsor, Wellington is very very remote IMO.

Plonk a city like Wellington where Lands End is in England and imagine living there, but with less towns and villages around.

Yeah there is a fair amount going on in Wellington, but after a while you realise that your opportunities to get out of it may be rather limited.
Browner I totally agree - once here you are pretty much stuck until the next holiday when you take an internal flight to an even smaller NZ place or wait for it.... a holiday in Oz. Anywhere further afield and the time involved/cost of flights makes it prohibitive on average NZ wages.
If I have to be stuck somewhere in NZ for 11 months of the year...Wellington's where I'd choose and I have now visited lots of places on both islands.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Browner I totally agree - once here you are pretty much stuck until the next holiday when you take an internal flight to an even smaller NZ place or wait for it.... a holiday in Oz. Anywhere further afield and the time involved/cost of flights makes it prohibitive on average NZ wages.
If I have to be stuck somewhere in NZ for 11 months of the year...Wellington's where I'd choose and I have now visited lots of places on both islands.
Exactly
Old Mar 4th 2009, 6:48 am
Account Closed

zetland is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your advice, esp Kiwiprincess. There is a general consensus that $55k isn't that good a wage for central Wellington!! Back to the drawing board..
Old Mar 4th 2009, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

But I absolutely love Aus and NZ for travel. I just don't see how anyone could get bored or frustrated.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
But I absolutely love Aus and NZ for travel. I just don't see how anyone could get bored or frustrated.
Miss European cultural diversity..you know you cross the Channel and immediately know you are in France just from the architecture, likewise Germany etc etc need I go on.
Miss just being able to go to a different place within a short driving distance.

I'm happy enough but I can't imagine always being confined like this....and now I've spent in excess of two months touring NZ in depth over two summers....I do feel I've done a lot of NZ although will go back to favourite places - already have.

Oz despite the climate differences is just too similar and too hot for me to want to rush there regularly.

Month long trip back to UK is now planned and I really can't wait...even though a lot of relatives have been over to visit...I know it will quieten down now and hence I will feel the geographical isolation even more.

My OH's employer actually gives us an annual passage home but you don't want to take it every year because of the annual leave it eats up....I really think folk in the UK don't appreciate the isolation thing at all until they get here...it should be pointed out more I think. It's not finances that stops us travelling further afield, it's more the leave issue but on average NZ salaries, finances would make it difficult too...flights out are very expensive..especially if you have kids.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by zetland
Thank you all for your advice, esp Kiwiprincess. There is a general consensus that $55k isn't that good a wage for central Wellington!! Back to the drawing board..
I didn't comment but I agree with that conclusion....would the equivalent of NZ55K be a good salary in UK? I doubt it....I really don't think the cost of living is that much cheaper here but many think the grass is greener.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Miss European cultural diversity..you know you cross the Channel and immediately know you are in France just from the architecture, likewise Germany etc etc need I go on.
Miss just being able to go to a different place within a short driving distance.
Yes, that is hard but it's something that I've just had to accept, and really be grateful that I've done a lot more than most. Still do at least one longhaul a year but that will be Asia or the US. Hopefully Air NZ will be doing South America soon too. And all of those places are pretty much equidistant or further from the UK anyway.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:35 am
Account Closed

zetland is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
That's true. I do agree with that. At least if it was a close enough location to work there wouldn't be transport costs involved I suppose.

One suggestion may also be to get a flatmate in to pay rent. It's not uncommon to see flatmates wanted for houses with families. Not a boarding situation but more, flatmate. Responsible older flatmate type thing.

Or, live further out and simply drive. 2 bedroom house in tawa would be nice and cheap in a decent area. Relatively long drive though unless you worked outside regular business hours (and not stuck in traffic). I think a general rule of thumb with a lot of wellington rentals is still around $150 - $200 + per bedroom. Which works out around $300 or $400.
I think the live further out option would make it much more viable, having looked a little at the 'trademe' website. And it doesn't seem that much of a cummute either - 17 odd miles from Plimmerton for example! Thanks for your advice. And the Pacn'Save tips!!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Originally Posted by zetland
How about negotiating the salary and what could your wife earn PT - $25k? That would give you a combined $80k+ and $4800+ a month to play with.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:57 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukkiwi
How about negotiating the salary and what could your wife earn PT - $25k? That would give you a combined $80k+ and $4800+ a month to play with.
Even so...

In the country it wouldn't be such a problem but in Wellington NZ $55k doesn't go far . As a single bloke I lived in Wellington on just a little less when I first moved here nearly five years ago and even then it wasn't really a luxurious lifestyle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.