Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Wellington Thread

The Wellington Thread

Old Sep 7th 2008, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Wellington Thread

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
Don't show her the bad spots Simon !!!!
I'll leave papakowhai out!!!!
Old Sep 20th 2008, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
the weather has been pretty shitty for months.
The weather's been pretty shitty. and today is even worse. The wind.......50km/hr. ohhhhhhhhhhhh. Now I am actually giving up going to the grocery store for my Fancy Sunday breaky..................

Last edited by crap coffee; Sep 20th 2008 at 11:52 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Bump it up...
Old Oct 17th 2008, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

cwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nice

Originally Posted by crap coffee
The weather's been pretty shitty. and today is even worse. The wind.......50km/hr. ohhhhhhhhhhhh. Now I am actually giving up going to the grocery store for my Fancy Sunday breaky..................
I'm hoping having been brought up in Cardiff and lived in Aberystwyth for 3 years that wet and windy won't be a problem for me! But I gather you also get a higher number of nice days and it's a little more temperate?
Old Oct 17th 2008, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

cwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nicecwrtais is just really nice

I realise that plenty have asked before about areas to live in Wellington, but as most of those (as far as I've read) seem to be families I thought I'd ask again from the view point of a single male in his late 20s!

All being well and I get my visa I'll be working in Thorndon and would ideally like to be able to walk to work, with possibility of a bus ride if the weather gets the better of me. A 30-45 minute walk would be fine. I don't mind hills at all, in fact it would be a great way of getting some exercise on the way to/from work. I would also be looking for shared accomodation - cheaper and good for getting to know more people.

I've been looking online to see what various rents would get me, but it would be better to have an idea of which areas to avoid and which would be more likely to have shared accomodation.

If anyone can help I'd be very grateful. Thank you
Old Oct 17th 2008, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

I lived there most of 2007 and the weather was sunny most of time to be honest. I would live somewhere central if i was single, rents are quite cheap for a room, don't worry.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cwrtais
I realise that plenty have asked before about areas to live in Wellington, but as most of those (as far as I've read) seem to be families I thought I'd ask again from the view point of a single male in his late 20s!

All being well and I get my visa I'll be working in Thorndon and would ideally like to be able to walk to work, with possibility of a bus ride if the weather gets the better of me. A 30-45 minute walk would be fine. I don't mind hills at all, in fact it would be a great way of getting some exercise on the way to/from work. I would also be looking for shared accomodation - cheaper and good for getting to know more people.

I've been looking online to see what various rents would get me, but it would be better to have an idea of which areas to avoid and which would be more likely to have shared accomodation.

If anyone can help I'd be very grateful. Thank you

MOst of the single guys I know live pretty close to the city, and there are plenty of great areas to live close in... ou won't have a problem finding something to suite your tastes...
Old Oct 18th 2008, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

In Central Welly there's nowhere you need avoid that I can think of and you may even be able to find something in Thorndon itself. I've known single people rent in Newtown which is certainly vibrant, has plenty of shops and restaurants (more the ethnic variety), close to the hospital and a flat if longish walk to Thorndon. There may be a shorter but hillier walk as well. Buy a good map and then see what takes your fancy when you get here...consider heating/sun issues as you will arrive when the weather is in its better phase probably.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 8:26 am
Me, my 2 boys & Red 10

Team-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really nice

Hi Everyone

Using Daz's login as i've had a mind blank on my password :rofl

Just want to say i love this thread especially all the FANTASTIC pics.

I have lived in a large town once and really didn't like it, to claustrophobic. Since then a have always lived in villages and for the last 2 years the sticks of Cyprus. So really don't want to live to near the centre of Welly, looked at Paraparaumu and Whitby are they more rural???? Can anyone suggest anywhere else we can look at please. Still need to commute to Welly for work though.

We arrive in NZ on the 23rd Feb.

Thanks
Old Oct 18th 2008, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Team-Reynolds
Hi Everyone

Using Daz's login as i've had a mind blank on my password :rofl

Just want to say i love this thread especially all the FANTASTIC pics.

I have lived in a large town once and really didn't like it, to claustrophobic. Since then a have always lived in villages and for the last 2 years the sticks of Cyprus. So really don't want to live to near the centre of Welly, looked at Paraparaumu and Whitby are they more rural???? Can anyone suggest anywhere else we can look at please. Still need to commute to Welly for work though.

We arrive in NZ on the 23rd Feb.

Thanks
Well, in my Hampshire experience, NZ doesnt really have anything I'd call a village.

And Wellington is pretty built up all round, even Whitby and Paraparaumu. My opinion is that to find a rural location within commutable distance you are going to need quite a bit of money.

All of these places are way too claustrophobic for me, as you say.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 8:36 am
Me, my 2 boys & Red 10

Team-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really niceTeam-Reynolds is just really nice

Thanks Browner_ I think you may be right. Where are you off to?

Anyone else know anywhere???
Old Oct 18th 2008, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Browner_ I think you may be right. Where are you off to?

Anyone else know anywhere???
Not off anywhere, I'm already here in Wellington and have been for quite a few years, so am qualified to comment.

I miss the southern counties of England, and would move back their tomorrow given a realistic opportunity.

(note to self: must check those lotto tickets....)
Old Oct 18th 2008, 8:59 am
Me, my 2 boys & Red 10

Sorry about that Browner_ was thinking Hampshire UK derrrrrrr
Old Oct 18th 2008, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry about that Browner_ was thinking Hampshire UK derrrrrrr

I know Surrey,Hants and W Sussex like the back of my hand. After 6 years in Wellington, they look very attractive.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at NZ on Google earth - it will probably give you a good idea of how rurally based Wellington is...houses cling to green hillsides and mountains even in the centre...the air feels fresh not polluted....10 minutes in the car or less from central Wellington and you can be surrounded by fields on both sides and they go on and on for several hours of driving.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.