Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Wellington Thread

The Wellington Thread

Old May 3rd 2009, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Wellington Thread

Originally Posted by crap coffee
I really, really like this ......lovely comments!

----------

I live in Wellington. I have travelled all over New Zealand, and to many places overseas, in my 60 something years and Wellington is the only place I would ever want to live. You can't judge a city on just one aspect - the weather, the beaches or whatever. As a total package wellington has it all - a beautiful harbour, lots of small bays and beaches around the city coastline, parks and reserves, native bush walks, cultural activites, outdoor activities, dining out, a vibrant city centre, short commuting times from the suburbs to the city and across town, as previously mentioned close to many places and things to do out of the greater Wellington area, a lack of the 'rat-race' mentally, and currently high employment in both government and private enterprise. The weather is often remarked upon due to the strong wind, when it is windy. However this is not a constant occurrence. The climate is temperate - neither too cold in Winter or too hot in Summer. We get beautiful crisp sunny days in mid-Winter and you will even see people sitting outdoors at cafes. Summer time is very pleasant. A truely great place to live.

-----------

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...th_Island.html
Can't fault that really in that it is one of the nicest places I've ever lived..is it about time you changed your name to 'LovelyWellingtonCoffee' ?
Old May 3rd 2009, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Can't fault that really in that it is one of the nicest places I've ever lived..is it about time you changed your name to 'LovelyWellingtonCoffee' ?
Old May 3rd 2009, 10:07 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Friday night's rugby - they delivered the ball in the Westpac helicopter

Old May 5th 2009, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly

No. "IrresistibleWellyCoffee" is better, perhaps. Make any sense to you?

Wellingtonians love their coffee

You Can't Help Being *Coffeeholic* in Welly! That's for SURE.

Last edited by crap coffee; May 6th 2009 at 12:49 am.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Bump!!

Last Lions home game on Saturday and kids can get in free via ticketmaster, so i think i may well be at the Rugby saturday...
Old Oct 14th 2009, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

bro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud of

What a great thread I love Wellington, I've been here 4 years so much nicer than Maidstone, not hard though I have been to some public toilets that beat the spots off Maidstone.

Lets watch the Lions waltz into the finals in style and then choke!

Don't forget to get your tickets to the All Whites, it is selliing fast, not a great standard of football but should be a great atmosphere.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone is into the stock car scene, the season kicks of soon on the 7th Nov. Have been a few times and have to admit it's bloody good fun and reasonable cheap as well. Google Wellington Speedway for more info...
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 6:48 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
If anyone is into the stock car scene, the season kicks of soon on the 7th Nov. Have been a few times and have to admit it's bloody good fun and reasonable cheap as well. Google Wellington Speedway for more info...
It's fantastic! If/When we move down there we'll be looking at Te Marua area Specifically because of its proximity to the track
Old Oct 24th 2009, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Go Lions!!!!
Old Nov 24th 2009, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hey all,

Have been continuing our research into Wellington (okay, mainly looking at real estate websites but gotta start somewhere!!!).

For some reason Lower Hutt esp Petone keeps coming up. I think it's the old wooden houses (I know I'm mad....don't tell hubby how draughty they are), flat sections and mostly biggish sections, wide streets and some sort of local scene (Jackson Street). Public transport seems okay as does the commute into Wellington city. The beach is not that nice compared to others and I have read that Petone is quite industrialised....any views??

I think we may have to rule out Porirua based on commute times especially driving times.

I know we really can't make a decision until we check the place out for ourselves but all those with any knowledge of Lower Hutt any info or advice would be much appreciated.

Also just as an add on, how much weight to people place on Decile points for schools? I have no experience of school ratings in NZ or UK but want to keep schooling in mind. Do people use combination of Decile, ERO and feeling from school visit/reputation or do people mostly go by ERO reports??

Kiwiprincess et al...help me out with some info.

Thanks
Dannigirl
Old Nov 24th 2009, 11:19 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Higher decile schools = better drugs.

Ok there's more than that. Decile is based on a number of different factors taken from a very small selection of the local community. These factors aren't just income but also factors such as education (I think), home ownership, and even number of bedrooms per property.

It's also why schools in the city aren't necessarily higher. You tend not to have as many spare bedrooms in places where accommodation is a higher cost! Although that's balanced out by the fact that wellingtons population has a higher average income and education level.

Anyway, decile is essentially used as a balancing tool for *funding*. It is not in itself any reflection on the type of school. The idea is that people in areas of lower deciles are more likely to have the other distractions that the higher decile schools may not have. They are more likely to have higher occupancy rates, perhaps moving more regularly, parents who can't help them at the sufficient level or perhaps need to work longer hours to maintain the family income.

Idea being that there's less of those distractions in areas with a higher decile.

Personally, however, while I don't necessarily agree with the idea (often represented on this site) that say a 10 is better than 'only' an 8 (very high still) or a 7, I do think it's reasonable to consider whether your childs teachers would be focusing a lot of their time on children with a lot of distractions or other issues. More likely to happen I guess in a lower decile school.

A friend of mine used to teach at Hutt Central. Not sure if that's in the Petone zone (possibly not) but she enjoyed it.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 3:15 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
Decile is based on a number of different factors taken from a very small selection of the local community.

Personally, however, while I don't necessarily agree with the idea (often represented on this site) that say a 10 is better than 'only' an 8 (very high still) or a 7
An old report but nevertheless gives you the full picture regarding school decile ratings....and one statement is...

The Ministry of Education data for secondary school performance shows more linear
relationships between school decile and student achievement in national qualifications,
retention rates, and participation in national qualifications. The gaps are quite stark, and
students from decile 10 schools stand out even from their decile 9 school peers in terms of
their high rate of tertiary entry from school, and leaving school with at least one sixth form
subject.

http://www.nzcer.org.nz/pdfs/11596.pdf
Old Nov 25th 2009, 3:17 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

oooh that is interesting. Thanks for linking that report - i will read it.

I'm actually geeky enough to read it.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 3:25 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannigirl
I think it's the old wooden houses.
I think we may have to rule out Porirua based on commute times especially driving times.
In Wellington there are a LOT of old wooden houses....even the new houses are wood.....and just cause it's newer doesn't mean it'll be warmer or less draughty. My experience is before the recent building code changes (and I mean in the last couple of years) some of the house builds and particularly windows are awfull still....give me an old properly made sash window anyday.

...and the commute from Porirua is only a few mintues more than the Hutt. On the train is probably about the same...
Old Nov 25th 2009, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Express train from Porirua takes 17mins and the stopping service takes 23mins...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.