Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wellington here we come!

Wellington here we come!

Old May 12th 2005, 5:48 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wellington here we come!

Dear all - you know me by now - runs a village shop, used to be a Sales manager in healthcare - just got PR yesterday (did I tell you that already? )- wife, 3 kids, dog - yeah me Biddy! Well we were headed for Auckland but have now BOTH decided that it's Welly for us - don't know what sparked that one - anyway I'm flying out beginning of August (to AKL D'Oh ) to find work, somewhere to live etc etc and could really do with some advice on Welly.
I've trawled through some of the old postings that talk about it and everyone seems to give it a glowing report (except Roger who found Nirvana in Hawkes Bay) so where should we live? Where should we not live? We'll rent initially for 6 months or so - prob look to spend upto $600pw rent.
What we REALLY want are:
Space - lots of it - big house - big garden - but not completely in the sticks.
Need a community around us - local primary school - shop - neighbours, but don't want to be crowded in the middle of a city. Small town or Village feel is good.
Views - Hills and sea in an ideal world but not views of other peoples walls or industry or roads etc.
Not that interested in hustle & bustle, shopping etc - getting too old for all that! But need access to city, airport etc.

So please please please put your thinking caps on and let me know your thoughts. Good websites to visit etc. This has been a momentous decision for us as we've been dithering between Chch and Auck untill now and time is running out.

K promised for good info.

Thanks Guys
Biddy & Family
Old May 12th 2005, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Cassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Wellington here we come!

Originally Posted by Biddy
Dear all - you know me by now - runs a village shop, used to be a Sales manager in healthcare - just got PR yesterday (did I tell you that already? )- wife, 3 kids, dog - yeah me Biddy! Well we were headed for Auckland but have now BOTH decided that it's Welly for us - don't know what sparked that one - anyway I'm flying out beginning of August (to AKL D'Oh ) to find work, somewhere to live etc etc and could really do with some advice on Welly.
I've trawled through some of the old postings that talk about it and everyone seems to give it a glowing report (except Roger who found Nirvana in Hawkes Bay) so where should we live? Where should we not live? We'll rent initially for 6 months or so - prob look to spend upto $600pw rent.
What we REALLY want are:
Space - lots of it - big house - big garden - but not completely in the sticks.
Need a community around us - local primary school - shop - neighbours, but don't want to be crowded in the middle of a city. Small town or Village feel is good.
Views - Hills and sea in an ideal world but not views of other peoples walls or industry or roads etc.
Not that interested in hustle & bustle, shopping etc - getting too old for all that! But need access to city, airport etc.

So please please please put your thinking caps on and let me know your thoughts. Good websites to visit etc. This has been a momentous decision for us as we've been dithering between Chch and Auck untill now and time is running out.

K promised for good info.

Thanks Guys
Biddy & Family
Will let you know if I come accross any rental places in Wellington. Going up there soon. I know that you wont get a very big place for $600 per week though. Wellington has gotten very expensive. How far are you happy to travel each day? Some of the outskirts are lovely. Really lovely.

Friends of ours rent in Grant Road, really nice place, 4 bedrooms, not a very big garden and they pay $750 per week. Would you go that far?
Old May 12th 2005, 9:31 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cassa
Will let you know if I come accross any rental places in Wellington. Going up there soon. I know that you wont get a very big place for $600 per week though. Wellington has gotten very expensive. How far are you happy to travel each day? Some of the outskirts are lovely. Really lovely.

Friends of ours rent in Grant Road, really nice place, 4 bedrooms, not a very big garden and they pay $750 per week. Would you go that far?
Hi Cassa! Do you mean by 'that far' distance or money?
Just looked up on multimap: http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...1&scale=100000
and certainly I'd go further out, no probs, money wise........Hmmmm not sure only if it were a short term rent and a flippin brilliant house.
I'd be happy out of town or in the suburbs I guess.
Hope all is well in Chch.
Biddy
Old May 12th 2005, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Cassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura about

Hi Cassa! Do you mean by 'that far' distance or money?
Just looked up on multimap: http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...1&scale=100000
and certainly I'd go further out, no probs, money wise........Hmmmm not sure only if it were a short term rent and a flippin brilliant house.
I'd be happy out of town or in the suburbs I guess.
Hope all is well in Chch.
Biddy
I meant in terms of distance. would you travel an hour for example? if so, there is a wonderful place to live with very good schools not very far away (private schools) but they are different to private schools in the UK. They are very cheap. Something like $800 per term of cheaper. There are also very good normal schools there too.

Let me know and I will pm you the details.
Old May 13th 2005, 5:19 am
Give us a kiss

Originally Posted by Cassa
I meant in terms of distance. would you travel an hour for example? if so, there is a wonderful place to live with very good schools not very far away (private schools) but they are different to private schools in the UK. They are very cheap. Something like $800 per term of cheaper. There are also very good normal schools there too.

Let me know and I will pm you the details.
Cheers Cassa - I have no problem with being an hour out and would love to hear your suggestions.
Thanks
Biddy
Old May 13th 2005, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Cheers Cassa - I have no problem with being an hour out and would love to hear your suggestions.
Thanks
Biddy

What about BOP??
We're cheaper by far - I think?? Ah well - its been a lovely sunny day here today, so I am feeling cheerful!
Old May 13th 2005, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

Thanks
Biddy
Having said that - beent o Welly a few times - and in my opinion ( its only an opinion) Welly is far far nicer thank AKL. Its got a loevly cosmopolitan feel and just feels friendly and warm and a nice place to be. Definately Welly rather than AKL.
Old May 13th 2005, 7:06 am
Banned

kiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nicekiwijetpilot is just really nice

Thanks
Biddy
If you don't mind being an hour out, you should seriously consider the Kapiti Coast (where I live). Nice beaches, laid-back lifestyle, much more house for your money (including lots of "lifestyle blocks", that's a sort of hobby farm size).

There is a good rail link to Wellington, but driving in and out at rush hour can take an extra half an hour each way (so about 1:20 each way at the worst times - normally 45-50 mins).

Also, the weather is lot better than Wellington.

Here's some links:

http://communities.co.nz/kapiticoast/KapitiCoast.cfm
http://www.kcdc.govt.nz/
http://219.88.72.60/firstnational/agent.asp?id=67
http://communities.co.nz/Paraparaumu/
http://www.coastlands.co.nz/ourstores.htm
http://www.atkapiti.co.nz/

Cheers

Simon
Old May 13th 2005, 7:31 am
Give us a kiss

Originally Posted by kiwijetpilot
If you don't mind being an hour out, you should seriously consider the Kapiti Coast (where I live). Nice beaches, laid-back lifestyle, much more house for your money (including lots of "lifestyle blocks", that's a sort of hobby farm size).

There is a good rail link to Wellington, but driving in and out at rush hour can take an extra half an hour each way (so about 1:20 each way at the worst times - normally 45-50 mins).

Also, the weather is lot better than Wellington.

Here's some links:

http://communities.co.nz/kapiticoast/KapitiCoast.cfm
http://www.kcdc.govt.nz/
http://219.88.72.60/firstnational/agent.asp?id=67
http://communities.co.nz/Paraparaumu/
http://www.coastlands.co.nz/ourstores.htm
http://www.atkapiti.co.nz/

Cheers

Simon
Fantastic Mr KJP -as ever a mine of info! I was looking at some houses on Realenz last night up that neck of the woods and was gobsmacked by what you can get - and the views!!! I thought it was a bit far out originally but you've changed my mind!
Oh happy days!

Cheers Cassa for the info of Greytown too - looks lovely and quaint and I shall investigate furthur!

Keep em comin'
Biddy
Old May 13th 2005, 7:41 am
Give us a kiss

Originally Posted by sunshine_and_rain
What about BOP??
We're cheaper by far - I think?? Ah well - its been a lovely sunny day here today, so I am feeling cheerful!
hey - if I could get to the BOP in an hour then I'd do it! Maybe mr KJP could chauffeur?
Old May 13th 2005, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

hey - if I could get to the BOP in an hour then I'd do it! Maybe mr KJP could chauffeur?
Ah well - Welly is beautiful! Have you looked at www.open2view.com also www.homesell.co.nz (Private sales). Real Estate fees are a nightmare here when you are a seller so lots are now selling privately. Fantastic Luck to you.
Old May 13th 2005, 7:59 am
Give us a kiss

Ah well - Welly is beautiful! Have you looked at www.open2view.com also www.homesell.co.nz (Private sales). Real Estate fees are a nightmare here when you are a seller so lots are now selling privately. Fantastic Luck to you.
I have checked out Homesell before but not for this neck of the woods - up until yesterday we were headed to Auckland!
Is this genuinely a good way to buy a house - not sure if it's a bit 'iffy'!

Last edited by Biddy; May 13th 2005 at 8:02 am.
Old May 13th 2005, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

I have checked out Homesell before but not for this neck of the woods - up until yesterday we were headed to Auckland!
Is this genuinely a good way to buy a house - not sure if it's a bit 'iffy'!
Homesell is just simply a private sale. Real estate fees can be up to 4% - hence the reason more folks ar trying to sell privately. I know we would try if we decided to sell. Just make sure you get a LIM report and a builders inspection report before you go unconditional on a house sale. House buying here is very very different to at home - it can all be done and dusted - with no mind changing in an hour! We bought our 3 hours after putting an offer in - pending the council permit reports etc (LIM - can't remember what it stands for - sorry - OH will know Land somethng or another - sorry) and building reports. Once these are in and they are fine and you are happy - you go 'unconditional' and thats in - you've bought! No Gazumping here guys once your offer is accepted. Its a bit different to home hey. The market has really picked up here recently -as have house prices. Make sure you read up heaps before you go and buy a house. Definately do not buy until you get here - as I can tell you, they look different for real than they do on the internet. Its a n easier way to buy a house though a think - just wish estate agents fees weren't so huge. Not that it matters to you as a buyer, only as seller. Good luck.
Old May 13th 2005, 8:36 am
Give us a kiss

Homesell is just simply a private sale. Real estate fees can be up to 4% - hence the reason more folks ar trying to sell privately. I know we would try if we decided to sell. Just make sure you get a LIM report and a builders inspection report before you go unconditional on a house sale. House buying here is very very different to at home - it can all be done and dusted - with no mind changing in an hour! We bought our 3 hours after putting an offer in - pending the council permit reports etc (LIM - can't remember what it stands for - sorry - OH will know Land somethng or another - sorry) and building reports. Once these are in and they are fine and you are happy - you go 'unconditional' and thats in - you've bought! No Gazumping here guys once your offer is accepted. Its a bit different to home hey. The market has really picked up here recently -as have house prices. Make sure you read up heaps before you go and buy a house. Definately do not buy until you get here - as I can tell you, they look different for real than they do on the internet. Its a n easier way to buy a house though a think - just wish estate agents fees weren't so huge. Not that it matters to you as a buyer, only as seller. Good luck.
That's really helpful S & R! Merci buckets.
Biddy
Old May 13th 2005, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Biddy]Dear all - you know me by now - runs a village shop, used to be a Sales manager in healthcare - just got PR yesterday (did I tell you that already? )- wife, 3 kids, dog - yeah me Biddy! Well we were headed for Auckland but have now BOTH decided that it's Welly for us - don't know what sparked that one.

I reckon it is all down to me Biddy telling everyone about Shed 5 on the waterfront for lunch and cafe l'affaire for champagne breckie.
All the best for Wellington, it is a lovely, easy city to live in. My son is heading back in Oct to start uni in Feb, hopefully we will be following soon after.
We lived in Woburn, central Lower Hutt, a good suburb with movies, swimming pool, shopping center and good schools. Have done the run into the city in 15mins from there (not rush hour). We rented out lovely house out to the American Embassy 4 years ago now for $500 pw.
Another great suburb is Seatoun, nr the city on the beach where Peter Jackson lives.
Have a look at www.stuff.co.nz this is the dominion post (local and now national paper) they have homes for rent.
As KJP Kapiti coast is also really lovely, one of my best friends lives there and just loves it.
Good luck and have a glass of sauvignon at shed 5 for me.
KAZ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.