Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wellington ex-pats

Wellington ex-pats

Old Sep 4th 2007, 1:38 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold
Default Wellington ex-pats

Hi all,

As a kiwi (other half English) born and bred in Wellington I'm interested in why you decided Wellington was your port of call.

Was it due to work, family, the great night life, the excellent sport teams or maybe just the wind that brought you here.

Could you also add where your from so I get a general idea where everyone has ended up.

Cheers
Old Sep 4th 2007, 1:58 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wellington ex-pats

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
Hi all,

As a kiwi (other half English) born and bred in Wellington I'm interested in why you decided Wellington was your port of call.

Was it due to work, family, the great night life, the excellent sport teams or maybe just the wind that brought you here.

Could you also add where your from so I get a general idea where everyone has ended up.

Cheers
We've been miserable in Auckland for four months. Took a reccie to Welly last weekend - fell in love!! YAY for Welly! Less traffic, beautiful scenery, friendly people, just love everything about it. We're moving down there in two weeks, I can't wait!!! Wish we'd gone there first as opposed to this hell hole
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:08 am

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Littletoe
We've been miserable in Auckland for four months. Took a reccie to Welly last weekend - fell in love!! YAY for Welly! Less traffic, beautiful scenery, friendly people, just love everything about it. We're moving down there in two weeks, I can't wait!!! Wish we'd gone there first as opposed to this hell hole
Hi Nikki.

Hope it all works out for you guys, you have had a horrible run of luck and I am sure you won't look back after leaving Auckland.

We moved out of Auckland just over a year ago and wild horses could not drag us back!
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:16 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Nikki I can't wait for you to be in Welly!

Well we're not there yet, but we love the more European feel of Welly, the different suburbs, the proximity to the sea (well duh ), and just the general feel of the place. It not being subtropical is also a definite plus for us, the weather is pretty much perfect. And yes, we did experience the wind coming straight in off the Antarctic while we were there. Loved it, so fresh! Here in the Midwest US, the wind comes off the other plains states and just feels stale.

Can't wait to be in Welly. Glad we'll see you there Nikki!
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:26 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcombers
Hi Nikki.

Hope it all works out for you guys, you have had a horrible run of luck and I am sure you won't look back after leaving Auckland.

We moved out of Auckland just over a year ago and wild horses could not drag us back!

Hey guys!

Hope you're well - and still enjoying your wine! I was desperate to move to the SI, but Welly is a great compromise! Just breathaking scenery. Driving back to Auckland was miserable. Even on a Sunday we hit traffic and it rained and rained. I'd rather refreshing winds over rain any day! Nope, no going back for us again! Once we're over those Bombay hills, I won't go back over them again!!

Take care of yourselves! - Hey, weren't you planning a family soon?
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:31 am

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

Take care of yourselves! - Hey, weren't you planning a family soon?
Yes we are, sprog due in January!

Have a look across the water at the South Island and thats Marlborough you are looking at.

Give us a shout when you get across the water!
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:31 am
Sweeeeet!

Originally Posted by Maz
Nikki I can't wait for you to be in Welly!

Well we're not there yet, but we love the more European feel of Welly, the different suburbs, the proximity to the sea (well duh ), and just the general feel of the place. It not being subtropical is also a definite plus for us, the weather is pretty much perfect. And yes, we did experience the wind coming straight in off the Antarctic while we were there. Loved it, so fresh! Here in the Midwest US, the wind comes off the other plains states and just feels stale.

Can't wait to be in Welly. Glad we'll see you there Nikki!
Hey darlin'!

How much longer for you until you get to Welly?

Its just amazing there isn't it? I remember talking to you when you got there and you said you were sticking to Welly. I wish I had done the sensible thing and gone down there to look at it as a possible place to live. I wouldn't be here if I had. I know what you mean about the winds. The whole place has such a wonderful feel about it, there is so much life there. Every weekend will be exploring the surrounding areas, trying out the cafes in the centre. We'll have to give each other reviews!

Have you chosen a surburb to live in? I'm torn by all the places!

Cheers to you mate! And I'll see you soon!
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:34 am
Sweeeeet!

Have a look across the water at the South Island and thats Marlborough you are looking at.

WOW! You guys!!! That's wonderful news! I'm so excited for you! Do you know if its a boy or girl yet? Or are you keeping it a secret? You guys have come so far, I can't think of a nicer couple to announce such special news

Cheers to you!
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:47 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

OMG brilliant news!!! Many many congrats!

Hey darlin'!

How much longer for you until you get to Welly?

Its just amazing there isn't it? I remember talking to you when you got there and you said you were sticking to Welly. I wish I had done the sensible thing and gone down there to look at it as a possible place to live. I wouldn't be here if I had. I know what you mean about the winds. The whole place has such a wonderful feel about it, there is so much life there. Every weekend will be exploring the surrounding areas, trying out the cafes in the centre. We'll have to give each other reviews!

Have you chosen a surburb to live in? I'm torn by all the places!

Cheers to you mate! And I'll see you soon!
Well I'm waiting for my future employer to do their reference checks, credit checks and own background checks, then I'll be getting my formal job offer, followed by work permit.

We're busy selling the house right now... has been on the market for 2 weeks now but no offers. :curse:
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:50 am
Sweeeeet!

Originally Posted by Maz
OMG brilliant news!!! Many many congrats!

Well I'm waiting for my future employer to do their reference checks, credit checks and own background checks, then I'll be getting my formal job offer, followed by work permit.

We're busy selling the house right now... has been on the market for 2 weeks now but no offers. :curse:

Its still early days, your'll sell it! Good luck with it! We're good people Maz, we'll get what we want!
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:24 am
Maz

Its still early days, your'll sell it! Good luck with it! We're good people Maz, we'll get what we want!
Well we're priced at US$20K less than our next-door neighbour and had over 15 flyers from the front of the house disappear over the last 24 hours, so I'm hopeful! Today was a bank holiday. Am expecting a slew of phone calls tomorrow wanting showings.

Oh, forgot to answer your question about area. We're looking to go relatively central. Probably Brooklyn. How about you?
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:31 am
Sweeeeet!

Originally Posted by Maz
Well we're priced at US$20K less than our next-door neighbour and had over 15 flyers from the front of the house disappear over the last 24 hours, so I'm hopeful! Today was a bank holiday. Am expecting a slew of phone calls tomorrow wanting showings.

Oh, forgot to answer your question about area. We're looking to go relatively central. Probably Brooklyn. How about you?

WOW! You're giving the house away!

We didn't look at Brooklyn or Churton Park which is annoying because that seems to be where most of the rentals are. We really liked Whitby, errrmm, that kind of area! I would love to be over on the Kapiti coast, but Steve reckons that too much of a commute. The Hutt Valley was gorgeous, saw a few houses in Belmont. I just can't get over the views! And the commute from anywhere is spectacular. Are you renting or buying straight out?
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:39 am
Maz

WOW! You're giving the house away!

We didn't look at Brooklyn or Churton Park which is annoying because that seems to be where most of the rentals are. We really liked Whitby, errrmm, that kind of area! I would love to be over on the Kapiti coast, but Steve reckons that too much of a commute. The Hutt Valley was gorgeous, saw a few houses in Belmont. I just can't get over the views! And the commute from anywhere is spectacular. Are you renting or buying straight out?
Nah we're priced to sell, next-door neighbours won't sell where they're priced at unless the market picks up again.

We're looking to rent for as little time as possible. Don't want to eat into our deposit that we're bringing with us too much! I'm up for a job with a financial institution and need to ask them about perks on the interest rate offered for mortgages. The commute is a huge thing for us, too. I'm determined to just hop on the bus to get in to work. Id' be there in about 10-15 minutes, fine by me! We also want to make do with just one vehicle, that's pretty important to me.

I rather liked the look of Island Bay, too. When we took Happy Valley Road from Island Bay back north into central Welly, it only took us 7 minutes (yes, I timed it!) to get back into the CBD. Too cool! But prices in Island Bay were just a little too high for us and a bit more "remote" ... if "remote" is 7 minutes from the capital city centre!
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dirk, as you know we all love it here in Porirua.
Hubby & son intially wanted to live in the SI, but I felt Welly had everything for us as a family, more so for Jamie. No regrets.
We have been here since last June and moved from sunny Sunderland
Old Sep 4th 2007, 3:55 am
Sweeeeet!

Originally Posted by Maz
Nah we're priced to sell, next-door neighbours won't sell where they're priced at unless the market picks up again.

We're looking to rent for as little time as possible. Don't want to eat into our deposit that we're bringing with us too much! I'm up for a job with a financial institution and need to ask them about perks on the interest rate offered for mortgages. The commute is a huge thing for us, too. I'm determined to just hop on the bus to get in to work. Id' be there in about 10-15 minutes, fine by me! We also want to make do with just one vehicle, that's pretty important to me.

I rather liked the look of Island Bay, too. When we took Happy Valley Road from Island Bay back north into central Welly, it only took us 7 minutes (yes, I timed it!) to get back into the CBD. Too cool! But prices in Island Bay were just a little too high for us and a bit more "remote" ... if "remote" is 7 minutes from the capital city centre!
We're going to have 4 cars by the time we're settled! Got to find room for all of them! We're only hoping to rent for 6 months, desperate to buy. I hate paying for someone else's mortgage! Still renting buys us time to look around for a nice house and a good area. Commute is important to Steve, but I'm happy to drive for hours if it means I can live in a more rural area! We've sort of compromised now though, he drew the line at Reumatic Beach (45 mins into the city). Welly has some beautiful surburbs in the city which surprised me. I tend to not like being close to a city, but Welly is gorgeous from all angles! Your'll have no worries selling your house then, looks like your neighbour has really helped you out!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.