Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

WELLINGTON ACCOMMODATION????

WELLINGTON ACCOMMODATION????

Old Oct 20th 2009, 9:06 am
Just Joined

kiwitoto will become famous soon enough
Question WELLINGTON ACCOMMODATION????

Doing the Overlander trip and was wondering where the cheap accommodation is in Wellington for a couple of nights. Not too flash but clean and comfy a must.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 2:45 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WELLINGTON ACCOMMODATION????

Plenty. But before I go off on the wrong tangent:

1. Are you ok with staying in backpackers hostels? There's a couple of very nice ones in Wellington (particularly the YHA). But if the whole concept is horrid then I won't suggest it.
2. Budget? $50 a night or $200 a night
3. How many people
4. Are you looking to go out to pubs and bars or something
5. Do you want to stay

Fwiw, I think the Comfort Hotel and the Quality Hotel on cuba street are in a great location. Rather quirky but close to cheap eats, reasonably close to transport. Just ask for a quiet room if in the comfort - those rooms are $99 btw. The cheaper ones are the Cuba Street rooms and are noisy.

The Copthorne Hotel is, I swear, one of the best located for views.

Have you looked at any already? I could comment on them
Old Oct 21st 2009, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

If Hostels are ok, the YHA in town is fantastic, one of the best hostels I've stayed at, can get private rooms there too.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 7:15 am
Just Joined

kiwitoto will become famous soon enough

YHA is where? and how much. Definitely on a budget for this, (we are caught in the renting /exchange rate hassle) and are these prices per room or per person?
Am guessing Quality inn and other are central city? Other half is kiwi but hasnt spent much time in Wellington.
Do appreciate the help.
Thanks
Old Oct 21st 2009, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all

Yes the YHA def gets the from me. We stayed in the family rooms (5 of us no prob). You may need to book ahead though as it is popular. It is in Wakefield Street, central to the Te Papa museum and only a stroll down to the harbour.

tel . . . 04 801 7280.

Best of luck finding accom.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Most NZ hotels are priced per room not per person although sometimes they make an extra much smaller charge for rollaway beds for kids etc
If its just the two of you, it should be easy to get a standard double somewhere...
I can only think of 2 hotels which are classed as in 'Wellington' as opposed to 'Wellington region' which are not central and within an easy walk of touristy things (and there are buses) and even those are not far out of town (one in Kilbirnie and one at the airport in Lyall Bay).
I agree with what Kiwiprincess has suggested...Cuba's within easy reach of everything really as is YHA. The central bit is really compact.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:16 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Comfort Hotel and Quality Hotel are both on Cuba Street.

Link here

I would say though that if you were claustraphobic to maybe not choose it. They are very nice clean rooms but small. And they have high ceilings so it can kind of play with your mind a bit!

But I like the location.

If you do some searches you may see the Mercure Willis Street appear on your list. I personally like the hotel (although it suffers from small room disease as well) but it's location isn't the best. Its near public transport and it is just a 5 -10 minute walk from Cuba Street....but it's a little bit further out. Even then though, the staff are nice, the rooms are clean and the restaurant is fine.

The YHA is really good though. And it's in a brilliant spot near public transport, near the harbour (so near the markets), near Oriental Bay and across from the supermarket.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

The Universities have cheap self catering accommodation available during the summer break.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
The Universities have cheap self catering accommodation available during the summer break.
You on commission now
Old Oct 24th 2009, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

ziggi will become famous soon enoughziggi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kiwitoto
Doing the Overlander trip and was wondering where the cheap accommodation is in Wellington for a couple of nights. Not too flash but clean and comfy a must.
Look at www.bbh.co.nz for a selection of hostels. It's a little outside Wellington, but highly recommend
Moana Lodge at Plimmerton - I've been told they filmed the final sunset from LOTR from across the road???????
Paekakariki backpackers - Try and get the Mongolian hut (spelling???) out the back, amazing sunset.

Ziggi