Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Well - How much then?

Well - How much then?

Old May 23rd 2007, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Nisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Well - How much then?

Originally Posted by kato33
Thanks for that Nisey. It will give us something to go on if the job offers come flooding in.

Kato33
No probs Kato, Its been an education, but it really helps to have been there and worked it out for ourselves.

Other things to note, no superannuation schemes, they give you a number of sick days so you may need to take out insurance just in case. I got healthcare included, but this is new to many firms. Depending on where you work car parking could be a cost you would need to take into account, mobile phone costs arn't always covered, theres probably more but I can't remember, anything more specific PM me and I'll do my best as I'm fresh from negotiations. Contract is signed, waiting for employer form for my visa application, should be submitting next week then planning to arrive mid July. Not bad considering we only decided we were definitely going to do this at Easter.
Old May 23rd 2007, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Well - How much then?

Originally Posted by Nisey
No probs Kato, Its been an education, but it really helps to have been there and worked it out for ourselves.

Other things to note, no superannuation schemes, they give you a number of sick days so you may need to take out insurance just in case. I got healthcare included, but this is new to many firms. Depending on where you work car parking could be a cost you would need to take into account, mobile phone costs arn't always covered, theres probably more but I can't remember, anything more specific PM me and I'll do my best as I'm fresh from negotiations. Contract is signed, waiting for employer form for my visa application, should be submitting next week then planning to arrive mid July. Not bad considering we only decided we were definitely going to do this at Easter.
Superannuation? Sick days?

No such thing where me and the OH are anyway.

Best wishes on the move. We only decided in March ourselves. Think it was March, time seems to fly by when your head is reeling from all the talk of NZ. Lets face it though, what exciting times ahead we have.

kato33

Will PM you with more questions when I get home from work.

Cheers
Old May 23rd 2007, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Have you heard about the new NZ government's KiwiSaver scheme ?
It is virtually the same as a a superannuation pension.
Don't know what will happen to it , if the National Party get into power, mind

www.kiwisaver.govt.nz
Old May 27th 2007, 7:20 am
Clear sighted member

tootsie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Nisey
I received two job offers, if I had expected to achieve the same as or more than my salary in the UK then they would have to have paid me in excess of $300k on the exchange rate so lets be realistic about what the pay rates are tootsie. I did however achieve double the figure in $, so by my reckoning we will be on the same standard of living, with some things being cheaper for us and others being more expensive, but probably balancing out to be the same.
I was being realistic love, we used to think the same way as you too - the rule of thumb we used was "double it and add a bit" which is similar to the ratio you quoted. Still wasn't enough though.

You'll be ok if you have no rent or mortgage to pay because (if you want somewhere decent to live) you'll find that salary isn't going to go as far as you hoped.

Anyway, the best way to find out is to try it isn't it .

p.s. we had health included too, which isn't that unusual. Have a good look at the policy they're offering you though. Health insurance is quite cheap for the basic cover and isn't the perk you think it is. You need to make sure it covers you for GP and hospital visits, try to get dental too and you're 'quids' in

Last edited by tootsie; May 27th 2007 at 7:23 am.