Reload this Page >

Weights and measurements

Weights and measurements

Old Jul 29th 2007, 1:55 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Weights and measurements

When did NZ turn metric? Sometime in the early 70´s I think. However, do you people in NZ nowadays think only in metric? If someone asks you how tall you are you reply in centimeters, not in feet and inches?

How about those of you who have moved from the UK and perhaps are not that accustomed to the metric system(even though the UK is officially metric)? Do you find people saying they weigh 80 kgs and are 188cm tall, or whatever weight or height, as completely incomprehensible?
Old Jul 29th 2007, 5:30 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Weights and measurements

I think many are comfortable with both systems. Feet and inches are often still used for peoples height, but you'll just as often hear people using centimetres. Only British immigrants use the term stones. At least I've never heard a Kiwi use the term stone to say how much someone weighs.
Most importantly one still buys beer in the pub by asking for a pint.

Old Jul 29th 2007, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

I still work in feet and inches, can't get to grips with us centimetres, hubby always has to remind me of the equivalent in inches. I still can't remember!

The same goes with kilos! Most people I know still weigh themselves using stones and pounds! ........ Not that weighing youself is good!
Old Jul 29th 2007, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Slowly getting used to it now, but when I had my baby and they said she weighed so many kilos I just looked at them blankly and said...you'll have to tell me in pounds what that is! Now I kinda work in both.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 8:07 pm
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

Good question yep still use both systems except for miles. Generelly have not noticed much to be honest but then again same thing really in the UK I was educated in metric and imperial.
Only thing that does my head in is shoe sizes with the Yanks having to be awkward and in NZ you have 3 differant sizes US,UK,European. What annoys me is NZ uses a lot of US terminology lately as I found when ordering a pair of boots at work
Drives them mad at the builders merchants and my favourite is refering to height, funny thing is we still use feet a lot. The look of blankness on a young kiwi is priceless

One thing I have not really used much is Gallons actually never used it much in the UK either, over here I avoid it altogether because of the US thing and the differance between a Imperial and US gallon.
Not quite grabed the concept of LItres per 100 kms yet still refer to it as kms per litre for calculating fuel consumption.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 11:09 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

You would sumbit a mileage claim at work even though your car has no miles on the dial nor are there miles on signposts
Old Jul 29th 2007, 11:58 pm
Banned

Colin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really niceColin in the middle is just really nice

Originally Posted by karonious
You would sumbit a mileage claim at work even though your car has no miles on the dial nor are there miles on signposts
Good point which technically means that every company in New Zealand including the IRD are commiting fraud