Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

To be wed or not to be wed - that is the question.

To be wed or not to be wed - that is the question.

Old Jun 29th 2007, 9:33 am
Just Joined

JonnyEmigrant is a jewel in the roughJonnyEmigrant is a jewel in the roughJonnyEmigrant is a jewel in the roughJonnyEmigrant is a jewel in the rough
Default To be wed or not to be wed - that is the question.

My fiancé and I would like to emigrate to NZ and have been looking at it for some time. Unfortunately, she wouldn't meet the criteria on her own for a skilled emigration but I would. So, is it better for us to be married or to wait until I get settled?! That was a bit long-winded.

In short, do the immigration authorities look more favourably on married couples or singles?

Although I haven't posted much on here, I do read this forum often and appreciate the discussions that go on.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 9:56 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To be wed or not to be wed - that is the question.

Originally Posted by JonnyEmigrant
My fiancé and I would like to emigrate to NZ and have been looking at it for some time. Unfortunately, she wouldn't meet the criteria on her own for a skilled emigration but I would. So, is it better for us to be married or to wait until I get settled?! That was a bit long-winded.

In short, do the immigration authorities look more favourably on married couples or singles?
You could apply for a visa on your own merits and then sponsor your fiance as your partner.

You have to prove that she's your partner and, to be honest, the easiest way to do this would be with a marriage certificate. But you can provide other evidence that she's your partner (shared address, bills, photos, etc) and as long as immigration are happy with this she can get partner status off your visa.

But go on, make an honest woman of her!!
Old Jun 29th 2007, 6:59 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Getting married wouldn't greatly help, it's proof of a long term relationship which interests them more. And for that photos, joint bank account statements, council tax bill ....anything with both your names, is great.
(This is assuming that you're living in sin and bound to hell for eternity.......otherwise known as Palmy)
You could always say that you want your wedding to be a part of the new life together in NZ, they must have SOME heart strings for you to tug on.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

We applied as a de facto couple and to prove the relationship all I sent was a graduation photo of us both, the oldest page I could find from our joint bank account and the latest. I think that was it and it worked for us.

Good luck and enjoy your wedding whenever it is!
Old Jun 30th 2007, 12:26 am
Account Closed

AnnieNell is an unknown quantity at this point

But go on, make an honest woman of her!![/QUOTE]

You ol' romantic, you
Old Jun 30th 2007, 2:45 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarahw
We applied as a de facto couple and to prove the relationship all I sent was a graduation photo of us both, the oldest page I could find from our joint bank account and the latest. I think that was it and it worked for us.
Yet more proof of one of the biggest secrets in NZ.

They are so desperate for immigrants that they'll bend over backwards to find a category for you...
Old Jun 30th 2007, 3:50 am
Just Joined

JonnyEmigrant is a jewel in the roughJonnyEmigrant is a jewel in the roughJonnyEmigrant is a jewel in the roughJonnyEmigrant is a jewel in the rough

Thank you for your advice. We'll probably be getting hitched next year then.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 7:05 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Avid
Yet more proof of one of the biggest secrets in NZ.

They are so desperate for immigrants that they'll bend over backwards to find a category for you...
did you read in the paper that the latest immigration scam was uncovered? It was found that certain applicants who had been refused in certain offices (eg Christchurch) had reapplied in Auckland and had been successful. Sometimes they had even let in people they had previously deported... Love it. The offices were not linked by computer.