Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

We are moving to NZ - Please help advise us (NEWBIE stage)

We are moving to NZ - Please help advise us (NEWBIE stage)

Old Jul 14th 2022, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We are moving to NZ - Please help advise us (NEWBIE stage)

Originally Posted by Moses2013
These rankings change on a daily basis and it's the same everywhere. Social media plays a big part too and people complain across the globe now and if I would go by the comments I read on FB, nobody is happy where they are. Apart from those who get more for their money (Retired and wealthy), a lot of people quickly realise that life abroad is no different and you still have the same challenges. In the case of this ranking, I doubt anybody here who had to start from scratch would say Mexico is the best place to live and work. Of course marketing is another factor and the British who are told that their country is crap see images of NZ and think it's a tropical island where you work to live rather than live to work. Here in the Rep of Ireland it's the same and those who feel they live in a dull town think the UK is cheap as chips and everyone is wealthy. The Americans want to move to the Emerald Isle and the Germans want to move to Majorca.
Funnily enough I live in a dull town and from a social perspective my life is not that good here. However in other areas my life is dandy. When you are a little person like me life is a compromise. The good for me here in NZ outweighs the bad and personally (in spite of all NZ’s issues), I would not want to be anywhere else if only for my pension rights here which are about double what they would be in the U.K.

And there is the point, whilst not rich I want for nothing and have a good quality of life and that is why so many are defecting away from NZ as the money is better elsewhere and the homes are cheaper. No one wants to come to a beautiful country like NZ and be on the bones of their botty.
Old Jul 15th 2022, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
There is indeed a degree of truth in what you say. That said I have been here long enough to be able to see (from what I read and hear) that NZ did used to be, to a degree, the ‘land of milk and honey’......I don’t think that is the case anymore.

NZ is awash with issues, yes, I know many other countries have issues too, but I think the fact that so many kiwis are heading back over to Oz and elsewhere to carve out a better life where houses are affordable and wages are better.

And therein lies the rub with both the latter and the former. Wages, in spite of the recent raised minimum wage over the last few years, are really bad here. Couple that with some of the most expensive housing in relationship to earnings, NZ really is not a place for young folk to get ahead.

It can be okay for crusty old retirees like me...but not for youth in my humble opinion.
I agree, then again weren't many countries considered the land of milk and honey at some stage? The housing market can change and the wages (cost of living) can change, so even if young people move to Australia today and feel they get more for their money right now, many won't feel that in a few years time. It's just natural that young people from NZ always want to go to Australia and it's the only option they have close by with more going on. In a few years time young people might be more focused on where I can still grow veg rather than cheaper housing and entertainment. Speaking about higher wages and cheaper housing, that doesn't seem to be the case across Australia either now.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jul 15th 2022 at 8:52 am.
Old Jul 15th 2022, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, then again weren't many countries considered the land of milk and honey at some stage? The housing market can change and the wages (cost of living) can change, so even if young people move to Australia today and feel they get more for their money right now, many won't feel that in a few years time. It's just natural that young people from NZ always want to go to Australia and it's the only option they have close by with more going on. In a few years time young people might be more focused on where I can still grow veg rather than cheaper housing and entertainment. Speaking about higher wages and cheaper housing, that doesn't seem to be the case across Australia either now.
I think the grass is greener is a gene that many a human possess! I guess with life being such a brief sojourn, why not?
Old Jul 16th 2022, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

It's not. I've been locked in Oz since the borders shut in March 2020 (I'm returning to CHCH 8th September finally!). The cost of living has also skyrocketed here and housing is expensive as well, plus there's a rental crisis. My oldest girl stays in Oz as she has a partner and bub, 21 year old returning with me. It's costly to live in either for the girls.

For a single middle aged old bird like me, it's similar costs of living in either, I just prefer NZ. My wage in healthcare is the same in either country. Getting on the property ladder may be easier in Oz but they also have stamp duty, which adds to the expense.
​​​​​​
I think what previous posters have said rings true, you don't know until you try.
Old Jul 16th 2022, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst I have carved out a good life here (and I am not rich, far from it), it appears many expats (and kiwis) are not happy here. I hope my three children eventually ship out as I feel NZ has become a back water fo anyone starting out in life.

Have a read of this.....https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...ding-to-survey
These rankings are heavily impacted by the performance of the All Blacks, hence the country has been gripped by severe trauma for the past few weeks. The clean green myth was debunked years ago and there's no Lord of the Rings films in the making or on screen, so stands to reason we're at an all time low.

We're relying solely on Taika Waiti to do the heavy lifting at the moment and the reviews of Thor: Love and Thunder are very mixed, with many calls to not let him near another Marvel movie. Sooo, back to the drawing board, what else do we have?
Old Jul 17th 2022, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
These rankings are heavily impacted by the performance of the All Blacks, hence the country has been gripped by severe trauma for the past few weeks. The clean green myth was debunked years ago and there's no Lord of the Rings films in the making or on screen, so stands to reason we're at an all time low.

We're relying solely on Taika Waiti to do the heavy lifting at the moment and the reviews of Thor: Love and Thunder are very mixed, with many calls to not let him near another Marvel movie. Sooo, back to the drawing board, what else do we have?
And today this very well written and informative article................https://www.stuff.co.nz/opinion/1292...nkas-footsteps
Old Jul 17th 2022, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

And today this very well written and informative article................https://www.stuff.co.nz/opinion/1292...nkas-footsteps
A bit of an eye opener when you see it put in that context.

All engines full reverse Mr Luxon !!