Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

We Miss Tesco's Why!

We Miss Tesco's Why!

Old Oct 25th 2007, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: We Miss Tesco's Why!

We miss Tesco a great deal here in CHC.
There is a lack of quality and choice, also the ease of internet shopping. I know Woolworths do it but it is not the same. My taste buds are now getting used to the NZ food (just about)
But what is it with the price of cordial or concentrates as they call it ? Extortionate is a word that comes to mind.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

hi jacky g here,i missed tesco when i first came here,but then i discovered woolworths..once i became familiar with the foods here and the layout in the supermarkets tesco became a thing of the past

i cannot stand pak and save,i think its got to be the worst shop everjust my opinion,don,t anyone shout at me please

i couldn,t figure out why fruit and veg didn't last long here,then i realised thats how long fresh fruit and veg should last,the stuff you get back home is sprayed with all the pestisides to make it last longer

although i do think shopping is more expensive here,but i find myself cooking from scratch,rather than buying convenience foods,which can only be a plus point........
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:15 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Ive just come back from the Uk and on the first day I was there I had a big shop around Tesco. I bought all the stuff that I had missed for the past 2 years. I had Irn Bru, sensation chilli crisps, devon custard, french fancies, galaxy chocolate and ripples, walkers cheese and onion crisps, muller corner yoghurts, ben and jerry ice cream to name but a few. Obviously I gained a few pounds but oh the joy in eating it !!! I would love a Tesco here, there is no comparison to any of the supermarkets in Nz. Oh and they do a wicked fry up too in their cafe...
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:21 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by garryhg
i cannot stand pak and save,i think its got to be the worst shop ever...
Ai yai yai. I read that and I had to cross my self and then throw salt over my left shoulder as well as knock wood and cross my fingers. Never ever blaspheme the Pak 'n Save.

You'll find me in one most Sunday mornings...
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Andrew Cross
sensation chilli crisps
How could you, you cruel heartless devil you..........

Just what i need and i can't get em....

You're banned....................
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Claire, my best mate back in the UK works there too and hates it. Shes in the massive one at Hampton, Peterborough.

I miss Tescos packets of Onion Rings, mmmmm now they were really good!!

OH bought some Refreshers at Pac n Slave the other day, and some BlackJacks and FruitSalads too.... they didnt last too long!
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:31 am
Banned

Pete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura about

I think you are all sad.

If you miss Tescos,M&S and all the others why the heck did you move to NZ?
Hang on I wonder if Kiwi expats miss The Warehouse, New World and Pak n Save
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Evilbert will become famous soon enoughEvilbert will become famous soon enough

Please don't all shout at me at once, but Tesco is there for convenience, not having the time to go from shop to shop and get everything at a different place. I was under the impression that the more laid back lifestlye in NZ enabled you to shop around, that you could still go to the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker, as they were still around, and not put out of business by a large faceless corporation. Or am I a bit delusional....
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pete n Shell
I think you are all sad.

Probably not!! The ones I know who have been there loved the shopping... infact, that was the ONLY bit they did love.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:42 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Evilbert
...you could still go to the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker, as they were still around, and not put out of business by a large faceless corporation. Or am I a bit delusional....
If you want superior product and better prices the fruit and veg shops beat the supermarkets' produce sections by a country mile. The butcher shops here stock better cuts and have personal service that most (not all) supermarkets lack. I avoid supermarket fish as well. The fish shops have fresher better selection (not all that cheap which is a mystery considering we live on an island far out in the Pacific Ocean).
Supermarkets are for staples and odds and sods, at least for us. Pak 'n Save serves that purpose well.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:44 am
CockneyLass

dazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by niseysOH
How could you, you cruel heartless devil you..........

Just what i need and i can't get em....

You're banned....................
yeh you can. They have them at Sylvia Park Pak & Save
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:44 am
Banned

Pete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Evilbert
Please don't all shout at me at once, but Tesco is there for convenience, not having the time to go from shop to shop and get everything at a different place. I was under the impression that the more laid back lifestlye in NZ enabled you to shop around, that you could still go to the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker, as they were still around, and not put out of business by a large faceless corporation. Or am I a bit delusional....
Give it a couple more years and they will become extinct here as well. We live near Palmie but go to Wanganui for shopping. Simple really easy to find free parking
Anyways couple of years ago Pak n Save got into the act of selling petrol, now all the supermarkets offer fuel discount vouchers it seems. Not quite the extent of the UK yet but getting there in another few years.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are all sad.

They probably find comfort in Poundstretchers & Aldi, about the same standard
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:51 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Anyways couple of years ago Pak n Save got into the act of selling petrol, now all the supermarkets offer fuel discount vouchers it seems..
I was surprised at how much difference there was in the value of petrol vouchers. Usually 4 or 6 cents off here, very occasionally 10 cents off but I saw 15 cents off around wellington
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:07 am
Banned

12 cents if you spend more than $60 at Pack n save Wanganui makes the trip worthwhile with a 60 litre fuel tank near empty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.