Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Are we crazy to relocate to Christchurch?

Are we crazy to relocate to Christchurch?

Old Dec 20th 2012, 6:58 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are we crazy to relocate to Christchurch?

Originally Posted by Assanah
My experience is similar - to me moving around the world to have excess to beautiful and beaches lush mountains is not worth giving up family and friends and a country with a a good balance of cultural, intellectual and outdoor activities.
So you're suggesting NZ doesn't have outdoor activities???
Old Dec 20th 2012, 7:32 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Except we can't afford a 4 bedroom detached bungalow with an acre of land, double garage in a lovely area that is 5 mins drive to the beach and 60 mins into the mountains in Devon or Cornwall...
Ditto
Old Dec 20th 2012, 9:22 pm
Banned

scotttom is an unknown quantity at this point

Except we can't afford a 4 bedroom detached bungalow with an acre of land, double garage in a lovely area that is 5 mins drive to the beach and 60 mins into the mountains in Devon or Cornwall...

I think you must be joking unless you are living down in gore or somewhere like that. The cost of housing in Devon is much cheaper compared to New Zealand. We recently bought a 4 bed house on a good size plot with a sea view for $345 000 dollars. I would say the same property in NZ would be double that.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by scotttom
I think you must be joking unless you are living down in gore or somewhere like that. The cost of housing in Devon is much cheaper compared to New Zealand. We recently bought a 4 bed house on a good size plot with a sea view for $345 000 dollars. I would say the same property in NZ would be double that.
Didn't know they had dollars in the uk?

And no work for husband in Devon or Cornwall for what he does
Old Dec 20th 2012, 9:41 pm

We can get cheap sea view houses with sea view in wanganui for $300,000 dollars shit area though :rofl
Old Dec 20th 2012, 9:49 pm

Why do you have to keep justifying you like the uk versus NZ??? Stop having competitions, you like it there some people like NZ and try to live there life wherever they are dont they?

I like my life here at the moment, my family are with me, meaning my hubby and daughters, I have great friends, I don't feel the pull to go back to the uk has both my parents are dead, and never been close to my siblings, not for want of trying.

I would move to the uk if I could live in a massive house where I want to live, and money was no object, as it is we have a better lifestyle here at the moment and great weather

I miss Europe more

Merry christmas
Old Dec 20th 2012, 9:52 pm

Just give up, she hates it and nothing we say will change her mind
Old Dec 20th 2012, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

We are currently renting (its clean and in a good area) and thats just about all you can say about it. Our house in Devon didnt sell, fell through at the last moment and now having to rent it out till next year.

Our house in Devon was lovely with views over Exmoor, but we felt NZ could offer us a lot more as a family etc which is why we came.

Not selling our house really mucked things up, hence being in rental, but we are now applying for new jobs in other areas as we have decided to move. If we had bought straight away which was the original plan, this wouldnt be so possible.

We never thought moving to NZ was going to be a bed of roses straight off, but things will improve particularly once better job prospects come along - you just have to give it time and try your hardest to make it happen.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 12:52 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

It's starting to get personal again. We are all entitled to our opinions. We are all entitled to express them.

But can we please temper our replies and not throw darts at each other.

With apologies that this appears to be a general post aimed at everyone on here. It's not. Thanks to all who have made sensible contributions.

Tis the season of good will to all etc.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
Why do you have to keep justifying you like the uk versus NZ??? Stop having competitions, you like it there some people like NZ and try to live there life wherever they are dont they?

I like my life here at the moment, my family are with me, meaning my hubby and daughters, I have great friends, I don't feel the pull to go back to the uk has both my parents are dead, and never been close to my siblings, not for want of trying.

I would move to the uk if I could live in a massive house where I want to live, and money was no object, as it is we have a better lifestyle here at the moment and great weather

I miss Europe more

Merry christmas
Agree - a balanced post unlike that other poster...
Old Dec 21st 2012, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

No, I was talking about a good balance (in my view) between those things I have mentioned. NZ has outdoor activities and there is not much more.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
No, I was talking about a good balance (in my view) between those things I have mentioned. NZ has outdoor activities and there is not much more.
Perfect then for people who are mainly only concerned with outdoor activities.
You don't seem to entertain the notion that these people may exist.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoingIn2011
If you read my posts you should realize that I use words such as 'I', 'in my view', 'imo', 'to me' ' my experience'....what do these words usually imply? That only my opinions are the truth and nothing else exits? Or maybe that I am simply uttering my personal opinion ('my' whoops another of those words with 'personal' added for extra stress and hopefully people finally realize I am uttering MY PERSONAL OPINION which I will not stop doing by the way and I also will not start to lie and pretend I like it here ).

Last edited by Assanah; Dec 21st 2012 at 5:53 am.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 7:21 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

You can't compare one area of the UK to the whole of NZ! Cheaper housing does exist on the south island but I know this is not the case in Wellington and Auckland. My aunt and uncle have just bought a huge house just outside of Christchurch, it's flippin' massive and an absolute steal compared to what you can get in Devon/Cornwall.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 9:27 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Cheaper housing does exist on the south island but I know this is not the case in Wellington and Auckland. My aunt and uncle have just bought a huge house just outside of Christchurch, it's flippin' massive and an absolute steal compared to what you can get in Devon/Cornwall.
Your personal opinion but not your personal experience, of course. I have lived and bought in both areas - Dorset - so I feel I know my stuff on this over the decades and it is this.
You can't compare one area of the UK to the whole of NZ!
Quite & vice versa.
It is each to their own and allow people that. It is perfectly possible to buy well or badly in both areas
No idea about your family's financial circumstances.
So . Stick it on the table. What is the price of this house . Mortgage? Earnings? Other money stashed? How long here? What $$ did they come with?
Sounds really cheeky doesn't it & I really don't want an answer at all as it is their personal details. Thing is, without that , what you say really doesn't mean that much in real terms. It's just your interpretation & thoughts. Just like the rest of us .

I can say I have a stonking wonderful house on a third of an acre and wonderful friends where we live in a really lovely village, which we have - or I can say I have a house with a complete hellhole for anti-social , racist, kiwi neighbours next door that have made our lives hell for 4 years for no good reason other than they are lowlife & in a village where bad behavior and anti-social noise is increasing due to attitudes of younger people with no respect for others & which is becoming more and more crowded with housing and people. Both would be true. What would also be true is that this was the most toxic dump in NZ and we know there are still secret dump spots oozing out but people wish to keep this schtum..
Difference here is , I can say in real terms .

Originally Posted by Goingin2011
Oh. They do. No doubt on that. But it isn't for everyone all of the time and it can pall . So, I feel we can allow that some people may find a lacking in other areas which there is somewhat. It shouldn't be so, but it is to a certain extent. That's down to isolation, distance, cost and all those factors.
Doesn't make it bad or anything. Can just make it a bit dull if you're not into only the cycle,swum,run thing . Sometimes you can yearn for something else. A balance of stimulation for the mind and body. That can be a bit hard here TBH.

My opinion of course & to make it clear, I am allowed an opinion.

We didn't come here for a bigger house and all that materialistic type stuff. We came for the change . A challenge & enrichment to our lives.

I do think that for some there will be boredom after a while and that's OK too. It is allowed isn't it?.

Meanwhile we all express ourselves whilst we settle somewhere new or look forward to our moves around the globe.

That's BE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.