Ways to save!

Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ways to save!

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Did they take a bond as well?
yes
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by helinuk
I used freecycle in uk but I joined the one in Tauranga and found it hadn't been used for 6 months! So I guess freecycle hasn't taken off here yet?!

Yes, the one in Hamilton is a bit slow by Norwich standards. But we could spread the word and things might change...
Old Jan 24th 2008, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

We have just signed up for 'trustpower', I wonder if there's a night rate ?
our first bill was $144 for one month. seems high to me!
That's about right actually - ours is averaging out (via Direct Debit) at $139 a month over the year.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlmckay
That's about right actually - ours is averaging out (via Direct Debit) at $139 a month over the year.
Ah thank you. I did wonder. I've been trying to work out if there's anything I can turn off and the only thing I can think of (it doesn't have a timer or thermostat )is the hot water tank , so I guess I'll just have to turn it off manually after we've showered in the morning.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 6:53 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littleal
Yes, the one in Hamilton is a bit slow by Norwich standards. But we could spread the word and things might change...
I don't know about Tauranga but down here (Cch) people just put stuff outside their houses and the grass verge, either with a sign saying 'Free' or with a price and an honesty box. If they have heaps of stuff they just have a garage sale. Lots of garage sales are advertised in the local rag, usually held at weekends.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 6:54 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Ah thank you. I did wonder. I've been trying to work out if there's anything I can turn off and the only thing I can think of (it doesn't have a timer or thermostat )is the hot water tank , so I guess I'll just have to turn it off manually after we've showered in the morning.
Don't do that. It will cost you more.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 7:14 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

You can usually adjust the thermostat on the hot water cylinder (ours was hidden under a plate on the side that needs to be unscrewed to get to the stat). We turned ours down from 50deg to 35deg and its still plenty hot enough. You can buy timers to plug in and have it set to heat just at night and not during the day to utilise cheap electricity and it should hold the heat through the day.

Also, don't leave electrical goods (tv's, dvds etc) on standby. This can use as much electric as having them switched on. Use the kettle less! or downgrade from a rapid boil 3kw one, or if you're really tight, make a flask of coffee in the morning and drink that throughout the day!