Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Watch your customs note

Watch your customs note

Old Dec 5th 2009, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Watch your customs note

Just a word of warning. Darling cuzzy had a notice from Parcel Force that they are holding a parcel for him from NZ and he has to pay £21 to have it! Apparently Customs randomly pick parcels and his was a chosen one. They are charging £13 VAT and £8 handling fee. He has queried it as it's only Christmas goodies from his sister, and obviously she's paid GST on it anyway - think it's sweets and such.
Obviously we don't know exactly what she put on the customs note, yet, as if we wanted delivery on a Saturday that would be an extra £12!!!!
So, guys, be kind to your families here and make sure you put, gift, toys, no value etc. His mums parcel came through fine with 'toys and clothes' on it.
We have the option to challenge the charge, so long as we can get the receipts from NZ etc.
Ho hum, happy Christmas
Old Dec 5th 2009, 7:21 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Watch your customs note

The VAT charge seems to make the parcel worth 85 quid . Nearly $200 bucks.

Is it because the parcel is worth over a certain value so import duty kicks in?
Old Dec 5th 2009, 7:30 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that the sender has to put "gift" and no value on the form and then it comes in free- is this right?
Old Dec 5th 2009, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

I was told NOT to write GIFT on a customs label, either from the UK or from NZ. This attracts more attention and may get opened. Best just to be creative eg toys, ornament, religious article etc.. (advice given to me by post office). Always keep the value low.

I also heard recently here that MAF are opening more parcels this time of the year and the recipient will not only pay a customs fee if due, but a fee for MAF's services of opening and inspecting their parcel.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

I have bought lots of scrapbooking stuff from the us and only been charged customs if over 400 that is the cut off, but it must state what is inside , i.e craft item, clothes, etc otherwise they will open anything up to make sure nothing bad coming in
Old Dec 6th 2009, 7:17 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
I was told NOT to write GIFT on a customs label, either from the UK or from NZ. This attracts more attention and may get opened. Best just to be creative eg toys, ornament, religious article etc.. (advice given to me by post office). Always keep the value low.

I also heard recently here that MAF are opening more parcels this time of the year and the recipient will not only pay a customs fee if due, but a fee for MAF's services of opening and inspecting their parcel.
Sorry - I wasn't clear there- I always write GIFT + the contents.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Sent big box with gifts for 14 people in it.....dad had to pay £67 to get it!!!!!! He got in touch with customs in Uk and I had to send an itemised inventory,who each item was for with values attached Each person is allowed up to £32 in value before import duty is paid. I had written on it gifts and kiwiana and lollies but guess that since it was a large parcel they opened it.

We got a parcel delivered here and MAF/Customs wanted to charge $127 to get it from them!!! When we explained it was Xmas gifts for the kids ( clothes,toys etc ) they waived it but told us that the amount allowed in was £98 equivalent before it attracts duty and GST.

HTH

Phyl x
Old Dec 7th 2009, 3:47 am
---

Next year I am using amazon.co.uk
Old Dec 7th 2009, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

I was told $400 dollars, I bought a cricut machine and was around $350 and it got in ok. I sold that and bought the large one and had to pay $67 on import duties , but to be honest even with the $67 on top of the 620 i paid for it i still saved cash as they cost $999 here in the shops so i still saved $200

I was told the $400 amount from the scrapbook store in my street as the lady in there has to rely on getting her stock from Aus and USA so she orders everything in bulks of $399 and so far she has been fine
Old Dec 7th 2009, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weejie
Sent big box with gifts for 14 people in it.....dad had to pay £67 to get it!!!!!! He got in touch with customs in Uk and I had to send an itemised inventory,who each item was for with values attached Each person is allowed up to £32 in value before import duty is paid. I had written on it gifts and kiwiana and lollies but guess that since it was a large parcel they opened it.
Phyl x
I hope we'll get the VAT back when we send in receipts, don't suppose that gets rid of the £8 ParcelForce handling charge though