Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Want to move to Aus ?

Want to move to Aus ?

Old Sep 16th 2008, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Want to move to Aus ?

Former Kiwi journalist Mike Rann, who holds dual NZ-Australian citizenship, will be in Auckland this month to convince more of our skilled and talented workers to cross the Tasman.........
From an NZ Herald article found HERE

Mod note - FYI
Rule 7. You cannot legally post entire articles or news, or other copyrighted material in the forum without permission from the copyright holder. Even if you attribute the article/material correctly it is still copyright infringement. Minor fair use excerpts of less than one paragraph or 4 sentences may be used if the content is publically available on the internet. All other forms of inserted content from press releases, newsletters, web pages, or any other copyrighted content placed into messages will be removed without exception. A link to the content is acceptable and appropriate.

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 17th 2008 at 2:31 am. Reason: Rule 7 copyright.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 11:28 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move to Aus ?

No sh*t???....

SCOOP - Aussies attracting skilled Kiwis to.....South...wait for it .........Australia......jeeps, now that is news.......
Old Sep 16th 2008, 11:30 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Thing is ...... do they want someone to drive up and down the beaches in a bright green Skyline with eight exhausts and no silencer....???
Old Sep 16th 2008, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

A mate of mine is heading to Aus to work the mines says the money is good. Hes been in N.Z. around 15yrs reckons hes getting nowhere so is trying Aus.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

bjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nice

Originally Posted by Patrick2007
A mate of mine is heading to Aus to work the mines says the money is good. Hes been in N.Z. around 15yrs reckons hes getting nowhere so is trying Aus.
Just what I did. Except I was in NZ for about 10 years.

NZ is a nice place but wages are low in comparison with Australia. I am surprised about South Australia trying to attract people though.

Just as a comparison. I earned NZ$13 ph in Auckland in 2006 and I now earn AU$30 ph in Queensland (that is before counting the compulsory 9% employer superannuation contributions). Rents by comparison are lower but you are not comparing like with like. Less of the ripping off in rates, petrol, and taxes as well.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bjddavies
Just what I did. Except I was in NZ for about 10 years.

NZ is a nice place but wages are low in comparison with Australia. I am surprised about South Australia trying to attract people though.

Just as a comparison. I earned NZ$13 ph in Auckland in 2006 and I now earn AU$30 ph in Queensland (that is before counting the compulsory 9% employer superannuation contributions). Rents by comparison are lower but you are not comparing like with like. Less of the ripping off in rates, petrol, and taxes as well.
Dont blame u mate, this is why i cannot see N.Z. ever picking up. Expats need to do their homework especially if they are leaving good jobs in the U.K. Once the novelty is over in N.Z. life just gets harder not easier. Unless u get off and try Oz like u did. The figures u have just given says it all.
Old Sep 16th 2008, 10:10 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by lardyl
SCOOP - Aussies attracting skilled Kiwis to.....South...wait for it .........Australia......jeeps, now that is news.......
I stand corrected then...although I have a few mates who have ended up in Adelaide with oil/gas exploration, etc and I suppose that was at the front end of the mineral/resorce boom for that part of Aussie......and it would be followed by the rest.....
Old Sep 16th 2008, 10:11 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Dont blame u mate, this is why i cannot see N.Z. ever picking up. Expats need to do their homework especially if they are leaving good jobs in the U.K. Once the novelty is over in N.Z. life just gets harder not easier. Unless u get off and try Oz like u did. The figures u have just given says it all.
maybe what we should do is realise that Oz is not NZ and never will be, decide where we want to be and live with it.
I've the option of a move over the ditch in the next couple of years, but I think that I am going to take the hit and stay as it's best for the family being here at the moment, the money and job security is tempting though......
Old Sep 16th 2008, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lardyl
maybe what we should do is realise that Oz is not NZ and never will be, decide where we want to be and live with it.
I've the option of a move over the ditch in the next couple of years, but I think that I am going to take the hit and stay as it's best for the family being here at the moment, the money and job security is tempting though......
In the early nineties there was a company called Network Migration recruiting would be migrants from the U.K. It worked like this,u paid your money to them and they got u PR. Now the major obstacle here was that with some trades well most trades u had to meet N.Z.standards (whatever they are never met such slapdash workmanship in my life,as was witnessed by MANY tradesmen i met). Or better still they let u enter as a Doctor or Scientist as many Iraqi immigrants did what did they end up doing?.....stacking shelves on nights in Woolworths etc. Bear in mind good ole NZIS let this fiasco go on for a number of years.
As u can imagine it is now defunct. This was obviously done for one,to make a extorionate amount of money and to up the failing population. Which is why N.Z. easy to enter. The criteria for Oz is much harder so ask a question? I dont believe for one minute the N.Z.media is releasing the true figures of the mass exodus from their shores. Oz is not for everyone but the wages in N.Z. are chronic and will never pick up.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

bjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nice

In the early nineties there was a company called Network Migration recruiting would be migrants from the U.K. It worked like this,u paid your money to them and they got u PR. Now the major obstacle here was that with some trades well most trades u had to meet N.Z.standards (whatever they are never met such slapdash workmanship in my life,as was witnessed by MANY tradesmen i met). Or better still they let u enter as a Doctor or Scientist as many Iraqi immigrants did what did they end up doing?.....stacking shelves on nights in Woolworths etc. Bear in mind good ole NZIS let this fiasco go on for a number of years.
As u can imagine it is now defunct. This was obviously done for one,to make a extorionate amount of money and to up the failing population. Which is why N.Z. easy to enter. The criteria for Oz is much harder so ask a question? I dont believe for one minute the N.Z.media is releasing the true figures of the mass exodus from their shores. Oz is not for everyone but the wages in N.Z. are chronic and will never pick up.
Around the time I got into NZ the requirements were not that great to get in to NZ, otherwise I for one would have not gotten in.

A few Chinese I spoke to at the time said that basically you paid $40,000 to a middleman and they got you a fake job offer and you got NZ PR. This was about 1999-2001.

Then after 11 September 2001 the requirements got more stringent. However a lot of the people who got into NZ in the late 90s were really not the best of the bunch and the economy wasn't great at the time which led to high welfare claimant rates among recent arrivals. It was a good time to buy a house but that's another story......

I think you're right about the country needing people. At one time in the late 90s the population loss to Australia was so great that the population was going down.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bjddavies
Around the time I got into NZ the requirements were not that great to get in to NZ, otherwise I for one would have not gotten in.

A few Chinese I spoke to at the time said that basically you paid $40,000 to a middleman and they got you a fake job offer and you got NZ PR. This was about 1999-2001.

Then after 11 September 2001 the requirements got more stringent. However a lot of the people who got into NZ in the late 90s were really not the best of the bunch and the economy wasn't great at the time which led to high welfare claimant rates among recent arrivals. It was a good time to buy a house but that's another story......

I think you're right about the country needing people. At one time in the late 90s the population loss to Australia was so great that the population was going down.
Likewise i met lots of immigrants very highly skilled and not working in their field. They changed it years ago after that farce but plenty still left. Dont get me wrong there was heaps of work but all low paid. But thats the deal when u go to N.Z. everyone says "i know i wont be on the same rate and the money is less" thats fine till about 12 months to 2 yrs on then it starts to hit then u realize u may have dropped the proverbial clanger which unfortunately is too late then. Because lets be honest things never improve well i never saw it when i was there. Hence 14 yrs on my ole mate is off to Oz. The Kiwi mentality is she'll be right" or whatever stupid saying it is, big problem is its not and the economy is has and always will struggle. Theres a nurse on this forum enquiring about the pay rates quick maths shows u will struggle like hell here especially if u r unfortunate enough to land in Auckland were ur money really does just disappear..........
Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Likewise i met lots of immigrants very highly skilled and not working in their field. They changed it years ago after that farce but plenty still left. Dont get me wrong there was heaps of work but all low paid. But thats the deal when u go to N.Z. everyone says "i know i wont be on the same rate and the money is less" thats fine till about 12 months to 2 yrs on then it starts to hit then u realize u may have dropped the proverbial clanger which unfortunately is too late then. Because lets be honest things never improve well i never saw it when i was there. Hence 14 yrs on my ole mate is off to Oz. The Kiwi mentality is she'll be right" or whatever stupid saying it is, big problem is its not and the economy is has and always will struggle. Theres a nurse on this forum enquiring about the pay rates quick maths shows u will struggle like hell here especially if u r unfortunate enough to land in Auckland were ur money really does just disappear..........

This is not new ! I posted that just to show why a lot of Kiwi's move to Aus.

Despite what ex pats view is of Kiwi education, qualifications and work ethics, Aussies have been head hunting them since I was a young nurse.

and that was some time ago.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:04 am
you dewty owld maan!

Yeah a "brain drain" Kiwi-style.

Been going on "over the pond" at least as long as "over the ditch"........

Still gotta admit that the best universities in Oz cream those in NZ, academically of course.....

There just are not enough skilled people to go round and that's a global problem, and that together with the wages issue the other posters have alluded to is probably why it is that NZ is much easier to "get into" than say, Oz or Canada.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Aren't there more Maoris in Oz now than there are in NZ , and the number is growing bigger every year.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
Aren't there more Maoris in Oz now than there are in NZ , and the number is growing bigger every year.
I think that is not true. But no doubt the numbers in both Oz and NZ are growing every year.

Tariana Turia has even accused the NZ govt of having such high immigration rates to keep the Maori population at about 20% of the total.

The truth is that Maori leave in the same numbers as other NZers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.