Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Want to buy my first boat, advice needed

Want to buy my first boat, advice needed

Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:20 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Want to buy my first boat, advice needed

I really want a boat, I love to dive and fish, the Marlborough Sounds are just up the road.

I have got a budget of about $7k and I was thinking something like this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boat...-436353245.htm

I know I am entering at the bottom end of the market, but I have spoken to a number of boat owners who have this type of boat and the major issues tend to be around the motor.

Anyone have a boat? Do you use it often enough? What are the ongoing cost?

Many thanks for your input!
Old Jan 4th 2012, 6:39 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to buy my first boat, advice needed

Sounds the right size though I might well be tempted with an alum hull.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 8:33 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

We're on our second boat, like you, budget end of the market.
(Aside from breakages,) fuel is your biggest cost, if you're mechanically minded, you can service the motor yourself.
We paid about 350 on our first boat which included a new impeller housing and a trailer wheel bearing. Won't be doing that again.
This one has cost me just under 200 for a new prop, gouged the old one on the driveway, and 500 for new remotes and handles. Things break, its's the joys of owning a hole into which you constantly throw money.
Change the oil, plugs, filters. Check the charging system is working. Does it fire up easy from cold. Advise the owner of potential purchases that you want to feel a cold engine when you get there before running it.
Safe to assume it's going to be in salt water, so might be worth flushing with salt away or similar.
Does it take on much water? Bilge pump up to the job?
Steering and engine tilt all sound?
Can you get compression readings? Did my main motor yesterday, had 150 psi, hope that's good, but they were even which is better.
An auxiliary is pretty much essential, and you can get around 5-9 hp on trademe for small bucks.
Where will it be stored? No point having a shed for it if it won't fit in, eh Clive?
The best thing would be to ask for an inspection by a local boat yard.

Also, don't believe that light board would pass a warrant now. You need forward facing lights about the width of the widest point of the trailer. Easy fix, but a little point of note. can you get a new warrant or you can't drive it away.

Aside from that, can't think of much more. Enjoy.

Last edited by hazeandsteve; Jan 4th 2012 at 8:38 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Just sold this ... http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=429125052

Didn't get enough use

Was a good little boat, reliable and, I thought, just the job for a newbie to boating.
Old Jan 5th 2012, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
Just sold this ... http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=429125052

Didn't get enough use

Was a good little boat, reliable and, I thought, just the job for a newbie to boating.
I had that in my watchlist.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 4:15 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
We're on our second boat, like you, budget end of the market.
(Aside from breakages,) fuel is your biggest cost, if you're mechanically minded, you can service the motor yourself.
We paid about 350 on our first boat which included a new impeller housing and a trailer wheel bearing. Won't be doing that again.
This one has cost me just under 200 for a new prop, gouged the old one on the driveway, and 500 for new remotes and handles. Things break, its's the joys of owning a hole into which you constantly throw money.
Change the oil, plugs, filters. Check the charging system is working. Does it fire up easy from cold. Advise the owner of potential purchases that you want to feel a cold engine when you get there before running it.
Safe to assume it's going to be in salt water, so might be worth flushing with salt away or similar.
Does it take on much water? Bilge pump up to the job?
Steering and engine tilt all sound?
Can you get compression readings? Did my main motor yesterday, had 150 psi, hope that's good, but they were even which is better.
An auxiliary is pretty much essential, and you can get around 5-9 hp on trademe for small bucks.
Where will it be stored? No point having a shed for it if it won't fit in, eh Clive?
The best thing would be to ask for an inspection by a local boat yard.

Also, don't believe that light board would pass a warrant now. You need forward facing lights about the width of the widest point of the trailer. Easy fix, but a little point of note. can you get a new warrant or you can't drive it away.

Aside from that, can't think of much more. Enjoy.
Awesome thanks Steve and everyone for your input. Watch this space and we see what I end up with.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:21 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

How d'ya know that wasn't Haze?
Oh yeah....... boats is fo boys eh?
Old Jan 6th 2012, 7:25 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
How d'ya know that wasn't Haze?
Oh yeah....... boats is fo boys eh?
Captain has to be a man......
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 3:59 am

I thought I would resurrect this thread, because I am (finally) going to take the plunge. Just waiting for the right boat to appear.

Going to have a look at this little number over the weekend.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=669826432
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
I thought I would resurrect this thread, because I am (finally) going to take the plunge. Just waiting for the right boat to appear.

Big enough to sleepover in!
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 7:10 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever you do, don't stint on flares, anchor and lifejackets. I'm an ex-Coastguard instructor (and ex-RYA instructor in the UK) in small powerboats, if you want a hand to check her over or any help getting on the water just shout out :-)
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

The bit in the add that says "The engine stutters a little bit and might deserve a tune up" would ring alarm bells for me.
If it "only" needs a tune up surely he would have done that?

Also, give the trailer a good lookover too(its got no wof) ... They can rust away quickly and repairs can be expensive

Last edited by Robbie2010; Dec 3rd 2013 at 8:06 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 11:29 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by simonsi
I'm an ex-Coastguard instructor
Really? That's a bit special TBH. Did you do this at Highcliffe/Christchurch perchance?
Old Dec 4th 2013, 1:06 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Really? That's a bit special TBH. Did you do this at Highcliffe/Christchurch perchance?
Fraid not, Auckland. Now lapsed but it was a part of the Coastguard improve-the-quality-of-boatie training. All great aims and part of the educate vs legislate argument that has come up again recently regarding lifejackets.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 1:12 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by simonsi
Fraid not, Auckland. Now lapsed but it was a part of the Coastguard improve-the-quality-of-boatie training. All great aims and part of the educate vs legislate argument that has come up again recently regarding lifejackets.
Good one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.