Wanaka area

Old Oct 2nd 2007, 6:03 pm
2hb
Just Joined

2hb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wanaka area

Hi all,
We're hoping to move to NZ next year and would appreciate any information about the Wanaka area. We have two children who would attend school there so any info on local schools would be fantastic. We visited Wanaka a few months ago and loved it, but living there is obviously a different matter. We are especially interested in the schools, how well English people are accepted, and whether or not it is a good place to raise a family. Also knowing what the job situation is like would be helpful. My OH is an electrical engineer and currently a manager for an energy provider, he would be willing to travel within the area as at the moment has a fairly long commute so is used to it!

Thanks in advance, any info is most welcome.
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice
Smile Re: Wanaka area

Hi
my sister lived in wanaka with her 2 kids, there not school age. She found the locals very welcoming especially through the toddlers group. Her husband worked in IT and couldnt get much work so they have now moved to Welly. It looks a beautiful place and she would love to go back if the right job came up. I can email her with any specific questions you have, as shes not on the forum.

I think if you have work secured then it would be a great place to live, not as touristy as queenstown but still plenty of outdoor pursuits.

A couple of negatives, the nearest hospital is 3 hours away so you would only have a medical centre, and very limited choice of shopping!!
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 9:40 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanaka area

The local lines company is Aurora, and the nearest generator is Contact who operate the Clyde Hydro dam, and are intending to build a small hydro station on the existing Lake Hawea dam (very close to Wanaka).

Not sure about primary schools, but I think there is only one high school being Aspiring College, although there were plans around setting up a Catholic school.

Note, like a lot of resort towns, there is a wide division between those incomers with money there for the lifestyle, and the rest who are often poorly paid hosipitality industry workers.

Its a great place to live in, if you can get good work....
Old Oct 2nd 2007, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

Lynda63 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have lived in Wanaka for just over five years. In that time it has changed enormously. the population has grown by 50%.

There is work available, with the population growth new opportunities are always coming up.

It is true about the hospitality jobs and low wages, a lot of these jobs are done by young people travelling to NZ from many parts of the world and other parts of NZ.

We have two children now, almost grown up both attended Mt Aspiring College and found it to be a good experience. Our son is now in Dunedin at Uni, our daughter is 17 and is in yr 12.

Lots of poms have moved to this area, its not too difficult to fit in. If you like the great outdoors you will love it.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 8:18 am
2hb
Just Joined

2hb is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for the information folks.

We only spent a few days there and loved it, we all prefer a more outdoor lifestyle so it should be a good place for us to live in that respect.

Thanks for the info on Mount Aspiring College Lynda, obviously with the choice of schools limited ( ie one) we were keen to find out what other parents in the area thought.

Work seems to be the only obstacle really, the dam opening at Lake Hawea might be worth looking into so thanks for that Southerner.

I'm glad you're sister enjoyed living there 'Here comes the sun' it's nice to know how people with young families feel about the area.

So thanks again, I really appreciate it.