Waiver Visitor

Old Jun 20th 2018, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

88engine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Waiver Visitor

Hi. My wife and son and I are potentially and temporarily relocating to NZ for work. We would like to either "take" my wife's parents with us - or, probably more practically, ensure that they can make frequent visits so as to not miss out on seeing their grandson grow up over the next couple of years. I have a number of options for them, but have a few questions for each option. They are both retired and no longer work, but are in fine health and have more than enough money to support themselves. I hope you can help...

Option 1
We are all UK residents and citizens, and therefore they can enter for 6 months without a visa under the waiver route.
Q1: Can they make return visits in the same manner?
Q2: How often can they visit?
Q3: How long must they wait before visiting in this manner again?
Q4: Could they obtain a subsequent Visitor Visa after their visa waiver visit if Q1-Q3 do not apply?

Option 2
They get a Visitor Visa, which allows them to stay for up to 9 months.
Q1: Can they return in the same manner?
Q2: How soon after leaving could they return on another visitor visa?
Q3: How soon after leaving could they return on the waiver route?

Option 3
They get a Parent and Grandparent Visitor Visa, allowing them up to 6 months at a time, with a maximum total stay of 18 months in 3 years.
Q1: How quickly can they return after each 6 month period?
Q2: If my wife and I got say a 2 year work visa, could her parents stop for pretty much the full 18 months in a row (presumably with them leaving the country for a day/week/etc and immediately returning), thus meaning there's only the final 6 months they can't stay with us on our 2 year visa?

Hope this is clear. Thank you very much in advance for any help.

Last edited by 88engine; Jun 20th 2018 at 3:04 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

movingtonewzealand is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Waiver Visitor

Hi

if parents are from the UK I don't think there's any benefit to going down the parent grandparent visitor Visa as they'll have to jump through hoops (medicals which cost £300 each, police check etc) when they can stay for 9 mths at a time on a regular visitor visa.

I know people that leave the country for a day and come back straight away to stay again. Nothing on immigration site that I can see that stops you doing that (please let me know if I'm wrong on this!).

From NZ's point of view though, I can't see why they'd have a problem with anyone staying for several months contributing to the economy as long as they're not getting anything out of it themselves like healthcare.
Old Jun 20th 2018, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

movingtonewzealand is an unknown quantity at this point

Have done a bit of digging on the Visitor Visa (just the regular one, not the grandparent/parent one).

'If you’ve recently visited New Zealand for a total of 12 months, you have to remain outside New Zealand for 12 months before you can apply for another Visitor Visa.'

Also the Visitor Waiver category has the requirement that you can only stay up to 6 months in any 12 month period. I didn't know this, but not sure how my friends mum gets away with it (buggering off to Aus for a day and coming back for another 6 months!!).

'We’ll check our records to see how much time you’ve spent in New Zealand.

If you don’t meet this requirement, you can’t travel visa waiver, but you can apply for a visitor visa to return to New Zealand.'

So if they use the visitor waiver (stay for 6 months) they could perhaps immediately apply for a visitor visa to stay longer? I'm not sure.

Last edited by movingtonewzealand; Jun 20th 2018 at 9:31 pm. Reason: More info
Old Jun 21st 2018, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info, movingtonewzealand.
I think what you suggest would be my best chance of getting them out there for as long as possible - essentially Option 1 with Q4 applying. It just feels a bit crafty though, so not sure if anyone else can shed any light on whether or not they'd be allowed to do that?
Old Jun 21st 2018, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 88engine
Q2: How often can they visit?
My understanding is that you have to stay away for an equal amount of time. i.e If you get an extended stay for 9 month period then you have to leave and stay away from the country for nine months until you can comeback. The six month visitors visa can be extended for two terms (up to 12 months within a 12 month period,) so that may explain the swifty moves to leave one day and come back shortly afterwards

They will have to have a return ticket, or at least a ticket to another country so could be a trip to Aussie in between.

They just have to be honest and upfront about their plans if asked; cheeky little moves that have you leaving the country and coming back the next day are bound to raise some eyebrows at immigration and probably not worth trying to play the system if you have genuine long term plans and aspirations to have them visit you on a regular basis
Old Jun 21st 2018, 9:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
The six month visitors visa can be extended for two terms (up to 12 months within a 12 month period,) so that may explain the swifty moves to leave one day and come back shortly afterwards.
Ah okay, so you can have your extended 6 months in the 12 month period almost immediately if they leave and return.

It doesn't really solve our problems. I don't think there is an easy solution. Family eh. Although they are very comfortable, they don't have the capital to move there permanently as retirees (as you have to invest a substantial amount) and so spending 6-12 months away from them on a rolling basis probably wouldn't cut the mustard.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 88engine
I think what you suggest would be my best chance of getting them out there for as long as possible
Just thinking out aloud and thinking of your sanity before you commit to anything! I couldn't have my own parents living close at hand for any length of time, far less the in-laws. Will they live with you and have you considered the long term impact of that? Do they live with or near to you currently? Will you be able to cope with them living in the same house as you long term?

As visitors I believe the latest overseas investment rules will prevent them from owning property here; it's an ever changing landscape so you would need to check the legals on property ownership for example if you were thinking of buying a place together.