Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wages for a Carer / support worker

Wages for a Carer / support worker

Old Apr 22nd 2010, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

nicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nice
Default Wages for a Carer / support worker

Hi, my girlfriends works in elderly care and she's worked in the community aswell. Can anyone give us an idea of what the average wage is for the same line of work please?

Thanks

Paul and Dani
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

martyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud of
Default Re: Wages for a Carer / support worker

Hi Paul and Dani

Sorry I dont know the answer to your question. I have also been a care assistant/support worker in the community and am now a care assessor. I have just completed my NVQ3 and wonder if this is a recognised qualification in NZ.

I hope you find the answers you want.

Best of luck.

MartyC
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

nicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nicenicorsts1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by martyc
Hi Paul and Dani

Sorry I dont know the answer to your question. I have also been a care assistant/support worker in the community and am now a care assessor. I have just completed my NVQ3 and wonder if this is a recognised qualification in NZ.

I hope you find the answers you want.

Best of luck.

MartyC
Hi Marty

Sorry I cant help you with this either, Dani has her NVQ levels 2 & 3 in health and social care, but we need to find out if they could be assessed by NZQA to gain her a recognised NZ equivalent. You could look on NZQA's website for info, might be helpfull to you. I can tell you I had my NVQ level 3 assessed, recognised as an NZ Certificate level 4.

Good luck

Paul and Dani
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

martyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud of

Hi again Paul and Dani

My 2 and 3 are also in Health and Social Care. Paul, did you have to pay to have your NVQ assessed? I get the impression that the NZQA will try to make money where they can.

Martyc.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 9:35 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

I work in Foresnsic Mental Health and I think our support workers get $ 17 - 18 per hour. That may be more than the usual rate given the environment though, sorry not too sure
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 10:25 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicorsts1
Hi, my girlfriends works in elderly care and she's worked in the community aswell. Can anyone give us an idea of what the average wage is for the same line of work please?

Thanks

Paul and Dani
Hi & welcome to BE.
I'm an RGN but havn't transferred my qualification to NZ (personal choice!) I recently spoke to a Elderly care home manager about vacancies for carer's, when I asked about the salary she said 'oh its rubbish.....$13 per hour for days $13.50 per hour for nights'.....yep it is rubbish!!

I have seen other positions advertised at around $15 per hour, look on trademe.co.nz & seek.co.nz for vacancies they sometimes quote salaries. You could also do a google search for 'elderly care facilities nz' some organisations list current vacancies.

HTH
B x
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I work in mental health respite support.
Salaries start at around $25k and top out at around $40k.
Most are on about $30 to $35K pa
Elderly may be less as its seen as lower down the scale than
mental health or learning dis.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by martyc
Hi again Paul and Dani

My 2 and 3 are also in Health and Social Care. Paul, did you have to pay to have your NVQ assessed? I get the impression that the NZQA will try to make money where they can.

Martyc.
Hi Marty, yes i had to pay for my NZQA assessment, it was a condition of my ITA to have it completed. You can have upto 5 qualifications assessed for one fee. I missed out by a few weeks when the fee was around $500 if i recall, it cost me around $700 Small price to pay if we get PR, but yeah.... just another expense on top of the £500 i paid towards my NVQ 3course.
If we get PR we'll see if its worth getting her quals assessed out there.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by karonious
I work in Foresnsic Mental Health and I think our support workers get $ 17 - 18 per hour. That may be more than the usual rate given the environment though, sorry not too sure
Thanks, I guess it varies but from other replies it looks like its around $13 -$18 depending on the enviroment.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MnB
Hi & welcome to BE.
I'm an RGN but havn't transferred my qualification to NZ (personal choice!) I recently spoke to a Elderly care home manager about vacancies for carer's, when I asked about the salary she said 'oh its rubbish.....$13 per hour for days $13.50 per hour for nights'.....yep it is rubbish!!

I have seen other positions advertised at around $15 per hour, look on trademe.co.nz & seek.co.nz for vacancies they sometimes quote salaries. You could also do a google search for 'elderly care facilities nz' some organisations list current vacancies.

HTH
B x
Thanks, and for the welcome, we had a look on seek.co.nz last night, seemed to be a fair few positions available but no indication on rates of pay... we'll just keep looking at the job sites. Thanks again, appreciated
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by colandros
I work in mental health respite support.
Salaries start at around $25k and top out at around $40k.
Most are on about $30 to $35K pa
Elderly may be less as its seen as lower down the scale than
mental health or learning dis.
Thanks, appreciate your info
Old Apr 24th 2010, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

gina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of light

$13.00 hr in welly, more if you go agency.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

dubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nice

In Christchurch expect between $13-16 tops averege 14 for community but you have to use your own car

Last edited by dubstar; Apr 24th 2010 at 3:04 am. Reason: appauling spellin
Old Apr 25th 2010, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately many work places do not recognise the UK NVQ. This is because it saves them having to pay extra for recognising this qualification and when the facility is audited/inspected it will count for nothing.

The NZ qualification in caring for older people (such as in care homes), is called the ACE programe. Some employers pay an extra 50cents to staff who hold this qualification.
Do an on line search for info.

Gill
Old Apr 25th 2010, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all your replies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.