Wages

Old Nov 20th 2005, 7:39 pm
Who me ?

Fireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Wages

Originally Posted by newkiwi
Just on the Talent Visa vs PR issue.....

If you want to become PR sooner than waiting the full two years on your talent visa, there is nothing stopping you from applying for PR as soon as you get to NZ. Will mean putting together another submission, and doubling up on the fees, but teh benefits of having PR sooner IMO outweigh the extra costs. Advantages include not being tied to one employer, easier access to credit/ mortgages, access to benefits for PR only, etc.

Maybe i'm being very niave or incredibly stupid, but didn't realise i had to apply to become a perm resident being a kiwi....the mrs i can understand her having to do that....any clue's ?

Al
Old Nov 20th 2005, 7:41 pm
Who me ?

Fireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sky
Have you made sure you will be able to work as a paid fireman immediately cos I know someone here and even though he had been a fireman in the UK had to pass exams or something to work which took a while.

Yeah, as soon as accepted they pay as soon as you begin the recruits course which i'll have to do even though i've been in years here.... i've just got one final meeting with them ! Fingers crossed hoping to have a mad busy station...

Ali
Old Nov 20th 2005, 7:42 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fireman Al
Maybe i'm being very niave or incredibly stupid, but didn't realise i had to apply to become a perm resident being a kiwi....the mrs i can understand her having to do that....any clue's ?

Al
You don't. You are a citizen so don't need residency. However since you've been absent for a long time you will need to contact the equiv. of the Inland Revenue and let them know you are now back in NZ and that you are resident there for tax/benefits purposes.

Carmen.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 7:45 pm

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, spent an afternoon at NZ House in london checking through everything. Don't think the kid's father will be a problem, he's already been 'spoken to' shall we say !
Any other advice on what to do/not to do etc......is Hamilton a pretty safe place for the kid's etc or would you recomend somewhere else ?

Ali
Hi Ali,

Don't know the Hamilton area, however when we discussed places we would consider for potential places to live in NZ with my (kiwi) father in law, he recommended Hamilton. I believe the town is quite nice and well located for other areas. Carmen.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 7:45 pm
Who me ?

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
You don't. You are a citizen so don't need residency. However since you've been absent for a long time you will need to contact the equiv. of the Inland Revenue and let them know you are now back in NZ and that you are resident there for tax/benefits purposes.

Carmen.

Carmen,
Thanks for that, thought i had to but wasn't too sure. Does the boss, sorry, Mrs have to apply for perm. residency or does she get that through me ?

Ali
Old Nov 20th 2005, 7:50 pm

Carmen,
Thanks for that, thought i had to but wasn't too sure. Does the boss, sorry, Mrs have to apply for perm. residency or does she get that through me ?

Ali
She will have to apply (under the spousal sponsorship route) as you first thought. However she could do this from NZ on a 6 month tourist visa. Not usually recommended to upsticks without knowing you'll get approval, but is a possibility. If you do this though, any belongings shipped over would have to be in your name only as she would be arriving in NZ purely as a tourist.

I'm no expert by the way but have looked into it for myself (I'm in a similar situation - kiwi husband, dual citizen kids, me a Brit!) I would personally recommend she gets residency before going. When I spoke to NZIS they said it would take about 2 months I think. I would hope it's quicker now though since I know of some talent visas wizzed through in about a week, plus NZ is trying to attract natives back home after all.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 7:54 pm
Who me ?

She will have to apply (under the spousal sponsorship route) as you first thought. However she could do this from NZ on a 6 month tourist visa. Not usually recommended to upsticks without knowing you'll get approval, but is a possibility. If you do this though, any belongings shipped over would have to be in your name only as she would be arriving in NZ purely as a tourist.

I'm no expert by the way but have looked into it for myself (I'm in a similar situation - kiwi husband, dual citizen kids, me a Brit!) I would personally recommend she gets residency before going. When I spoke to NZIS they said it would take about 2 months I think. I would hope it's quicker now though since I know of some talent visas wizzed through in about a week, plus NZ is trying to attract natives back home after all.

That's what we were looking at doing but i may well put it back by 9 months as i've just shattered my left wrist at work and it's goona take some surgery to correct it so won't be taking up my position as a 'firie' just yet....... perfect bloody timing eh !!!!

Ali
Old Nov 20th 2005, 8:15 pm

That's what we were looking at doing but i may well put it back by 9 months as i've just shattered my left wrist at work and it's goona take some surgery to correct it so won't be taking up my position as a 'firie' just yet....... perfect bloody timing eh !!!!

Ali
Oh dear! Good luck with the recovery. 9 months will fly by as you well know!
Old Nov 21st 2005, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelle & Chris
Hi Al

Just a thought and I'm not sure it applies, as on another link you said you were returning home to NZ (are you a Kiwi). But I understand you have 4 children. One thing I've noted form other peoples comments in the past, is that you don't get child allowance in NZ until you have PR status. (I maybe wrong, but I have read it before, so its worth checking out) With 4 kids this would a big blow if you also have to pay for medial stuff x6 aswel.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Cheers

Michelle

You don't get family allowance full stop, with or without PR.

Gill
Old Nov 21st 2005, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Which is nice, there's just far too much paperwork, even for me.... don't know why we've plumped for hamilton, guess it's just close to most things, we started looking a New Plymouth as it really caught my eye but could be a bit expensive !!

Al

Your wife will be able to get PR no bother as she is a nurse and on the priority occupations list or what ever it is now called. There is a huge shortage of nurses in NZ, so where ever you fancy living she at least will be able to find work.

Can I ask where you were quoted $42,000 for her? Her salary is linked to how long she has been qualified for. By July 06, if she has been qualified 5 years or more she would be on $54,000. This is presuming she is RGN and working for a District Health Board.

Hope this is some help. Any nursing questions, feel free to ask.
Cheers
Gill
Old Nov 21st 2005, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

melting pot is on a distinguished road

I would like to just agree with this post, I came to NZ in April, husband and children have dual nationality so a straight forward sponsorship spouse was all that is required.
Firstly, customs would not release our belongings until I had lodged my residency application, they then gave a stamped print out that I could show to allow our belongings to be released, my 6 month visitor permit was about to expire, and my application for PR hadn't been looked at, so I then had to get a work permit, extra hassle, and more costs, and I might add I am still waiting for a case officer to look at my application, for PR let alone have a decision, last time I spoke with them they said could take up to a year !!! so take my advise and get it done before you get here, NZ house in London are much more efficient
Old Nov 21st 2005, 8:14 am
Who me ?

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Your wife will be able to get PR no bother as she is a nurse and on the priority occupations list or what ever it is now called. There is a huge shortage of nurses in NZ, so where ever you fancy living she at least will be able to find work.

Can I ask where you were quoted $42,000 for her? Her salary is linked to how long she has been qualified for. By July 06, if she has been qualified 5 years or more she would be on $54,000. This is presuming she is RGN and working for a District Health Board.

Hope this is some help. Any nursing questions, feel free to ask.
Cheers
Gill
Gill,
thanks for that info, very helpful.
She'll be qualified by the time we get there but won't have the 5 years qualified though, saw the info on a link about job's and pay structure's somewhere.
Any idea's on what the hospital's are like in Hamilton/Waikato area's ?

Al.
Old Nov 21st 2005, 8:16 am
Who me ?

Originally Posted by melting pot
I would like to just agree with this post, I came to NZ in April, husband and children have dual nationality so a straight forward sponsorship spouse was all that is required.
Firstly, customs would not release our belongings until I had lodged my residency application, they then gave a stamped print out that I could show to allow our belongings to be released, my 6 month visitor permit was about to expire, and my application for PR hadn't been looked at, so I then had to get a work permit, extra hassle, and more costs, and I might add I am still waiting for a case officer to look at my application, for PR let alone have a decision, last time I spoke with them they said could take up to a year !!! so take my advise and get it done before you get here, NZ house in London are much more efficient

Does the residency application get lodged before or after the sponsorship spouse side is dealt with?
once they've agreed and signed all paperwork agreeing to the sponsorship is that a good time for her to lodge the PR side of it ?
Old Nov 21st 2005, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill,
thanks for that info, very helpful.
She'll be qualified by the time we get there but won't have the 5 years qualified though, saw the info on a link about job's and pay structure's somewhere.
Any idea's on what the hospital's are like in Hamilton/Waikato area's ?

Al.

If she is newly qualified she may have some competition getting a job here. Find out which hospitals are offering the "New Graduate" programme. Salary as a new grad would be $40,000 {July 06}. The new grad programme is a one year contract, usually consisting of 2 placements. There is a lot of info on the net about it. Most programmes start in January and some may have a mid term intake of June. This ties in with when the academic year finishing in Decemeber.

Gill
Old Nov 21st 2005, 9:50 am
Who me ?

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
If she is newly qualified she may have some competition getting a job here. Find out which hospitals are offering the "New Graduate" programme. Salary as a new grad would be $40,000 {July 06}. The new grad programme is a one year contract, usually consisting of 2 placements. There is a lot of info on the net about it. Most programmes start in January and some may have a mid term intake of June. This ties in with when the academic year finishing in Decemeber.

Gill
Thanks Gill, that will help her load's, it's something i have very little or no knowledge of whatsoever so all this info & advice is great. Is it better to go direct to the hospital or to the local health authority ?

Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.