Reload this Page >

Visitor Visa -vs- Work Permit

Visitor Visa -vs- Work Permit

Old Feb 20th 2005, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

furber78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visitor Visa -vs- Work Permit

Can anyone help me!!!!

My husband and I are wanting to live and work in NZ for approx 1-2 years and so far I have read varying info on the best way to achieve this.

Some have said that we should go out there as a visitor and get work whilst there, thus enabling us to apply for a work permit and remaining in NZ.

However, some have said that we should apply for a work permit before even leaving the UK. This confuses me though, as it remains unclear as to whether or not we need to have confirmed job offers in order to gain a permit. If this is the case how do we go about doing that when we are here in blighty? I have had a look at various recruitment sites and they have all said the same 'we cannot offer employment to those who do not have permits'.

ARGH!

If anyone can assist me, even just a little bit, I would be very grateful.

Thanks, Sarah
Old Feb 20th 2005, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Visitor Visa -vs- Work Permit

Originally Posted by furber78
Can anyone help me!!!!

My husband and I are wanting to live and work in NZ for approx 1-2 years and so far I have read varying info on the best way to achieve this.

Some have said that we should go out there as a visitor and get work whilst there, thus enabling us to apply for a work permit and remaining in NZ.

However, some have said that we should apply for a work permit before even leaving the UK. This confuses me though, as it remains unclear as to whether or not we need to have confirmed job offers in order to gain a permit. If this is the case how do we go about doing that when we are here in blighty? I have had a look at various recruitment sites and they have all said the same 'we cannot offer employment to those who do not have permits'.

ARGH!

If anyone can assist me, even just a little bit, I would be very grateful.

Thanks, Sarah
If youre under 30 the best bet is to go for working holiday visa, thats the easiest and you dont need a confirmed offer. For all other work permits you do need to confirmed offer of employment, execpt if you go for Permanent Residency, but it sounds like thats not what youre looking to do.

Try looking at NZIS's site; immigration.govt.nz to study up on all the work permit issues.
Old Feb 21st 2005, 8:11 am
Just Joined

furber78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by newkiwi
If youre under 30 the best bet is to go for working holiday visa, thats the easiest and you dont need a confirmed offer. For all other work permits you do need to confirmed offer of employment, execpt if you go for Permanent Residency, but it sounds like thats not what youre looking to do.

Try looking at NZIS's site; immigration.govt.nz to study up on all the work permit issues.

Thanks.....I have looked at NZIS's site but I'm going round and round in circles! Thanks for your advise though!
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Sally1 will become famous soon enoughSally1 will become famous soon enough

Try New Zealand House in London. They can advise on all aspects of VISA/PERMIT and put you in the right direction. Tel 020 7930 8422. This is the Embassy and High Commission Number but they can give you another number. If you are under 30, process for a 2 yr working VISA is straightforward.