Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Visit to Australia

Visit to Australia

Old Dec 4th 2005, 2:41 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light
Default Visit to Australia

Hi
We are planning a visit to Australia....we want to have about 4 weeks in OZ.

1) Whats the best time of year to go.

2) What are the MUST see things?

3) What are the MUST do things?

Any other advice will be gratefully accepted as always!
Old Dec 4th 2005, 3:27 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visit to Australia

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Hi

1. Depends on where in Australia you plan to go.
2/3. Also depends on where in Australia you want to go.

You'll probably get more advice on the Australia forum

If you're not New Zealand citizens you'll need visas - http://www.eta.immi.gov.au (if you're British citizens).

Jeremy
Old Dec 4th 2005, 5:44 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
1. Depends on where in Australia you plan to go.
2/3. Also depends on where in Australia you want to go.

You'll probably get more advice on the Australia forum

If you're not New Zealand citizens you'll need visas - http://www.eta.immi.gov.au (if you're British citizens).

Jeremy
I think thats what i am asking
Old Dec 4th 2005, 9:54 pm
livewire

We went over to the south coast and did Melbourne and the Great Ocean Road about this time last year and although it was warm it did rain quite a bit. Then in July we visited the east coast - Brissy and Cairns and had mixed weather -a week of sun and a week of rain. Always seems to rain when we go

It really depends on what you want to do and what you want to see. I like the more tropical parts of the country and would like to give Darwin a go next time. If you intend going surfing/swimming in the sea there can be a problem with stingers just off coast during the wet season.

Are you dead set on Oz or would you be willing to give one of the Pacific Islands a go?

Must see? oh I don't know up to you but
The Outback
Uluru and Alice Springs
Great Barrier Reef
Sidney
Opal Mines
Gold Coast (for a laugh)
Australia Zoo (ditto)
Great Ocean Road

Last edited by livewire; Dec 4th 2005 at 10:00 pm.

Old Dec 5th 2005, 5:17 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Hi PP did you really eat poo?

Anyway, I had to laugh cos it is a bloody large continent :-)

Anyway if anywhere nr Sydney the obvious ones are good but also amazingly fascinating is the Aquarium. I wanted to go back there again after about 7 hrs there and i don't usually like that sort of them.

Powerhouse Museum isn't that good but they pump it like it is.

Go up the Tower in Sydney if you get the chance - beats the pants off of Auckland.

If in the Central Coast area, which is up the F3 north towards Gosford, then go and see the Reptile Park. Everyone we took there when we lived there was fascinated, the people there are so knowledgeable and they do great 'shows'.

If giong to Melbourne, make sure you go the the goldmines at Ballarat. Great for oldies and kiddies.

Never been a Gold Coast fan so can't advise you there.

Go to Uluru if you can and see the sun set.

Aus is awesome!
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:05 am
livewire

I can recommend Ballarat too, you can pan for gold to your hearts content. There's a great reconstructed village there with people wandering around in Victorian costume and acting out roles - bit like Blists Hill in Shropshire.

Old Dec 5th 2005, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Mark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really nice
Smile Re: Visit to Australia

In answer to all those points my friend; Wait till MUFC bring their Oz tour details out!!

Get to OT over the w/end ? It was a decent game, but Pompey are pretty poor at the moment.Even Big Joe couldn't sort that lot out on his own!
Old Dec 5th 2005, 11:01 pm
livewire

Wait until they bring their tour details out and then head for the other side of the country :scared:

Old Dec 6th 2005, 11:13 am
Nice Tats

Originally Posted by Mark & Sarah
Get to OT over the w/end ? It was a decent game, but Pompey are pretty poor at the moment.Even Big Joe couldn't sort that lot out on his own!
In our present state i will take that as a compliment
Old Dec 6th 2005, 11:14 am
Nice Tats

Thanks for all the replies Guys and Gals...keeep em coming, yes we are dead set on OZ...we will do the pacific islands when we get to NZ

Just want to build up a list of the must do...s

And yes i eat poo....in fact i eat it every day..its being dished up by Blair every minute of every day!
Old Dec 6th 2005, 8:09 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for all the replies Guys and Gals...keeep em coming, yes we are dead set on OZ...we will do the pacific islands when we get to NZ

Just want to build up a list of the must do...s

And yes i eat poo....in fact i eat it every day..its being dished up by Blair every minute of every day!
ha ha. don't know much about WA. Haven't been there since 80's and liked Fremantle and Rottnest Island. Oh and hub proposed me me in Perth. how coudl I forget?
Old Dec 8th 2005, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Hi go to the Gold Coast at Easter.
The weather is still fabulous - and the rates are cheaper.

Steve
Old Dec 12th 2005, 12:30 pm
Nice Tats

Originally Posted by livewire
Wait until they bring their tour details out and then head for the other side of the country :scared:
Its all they have got left.....Ha Ha

Sacked in the morning he's getting sacked in the morning.......and so on!