Reload this Page >

visa options for nurses

visa options for nurses

Old Apr 5th 2009, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

JENNYMG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default visa options for nurses

hi
can you advise on the best direction for us as a family to take.
i'm a nurse, currently working part time due to young family but we want to
make the move to nz.
what visa options should we take. time scale expectations? ideally we'd like to be there sooner than later.
thanks for your help
jennifer
Old Apr 5th 2009, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

strawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of lightstrawbie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: visa options for nurses

Originally Posted by JENNYMG
hi
make the move to nz.
what visa options should we take. time scale expectations? ideally we'd like to be there sooner than later.
thanks for your help
jennifer
Hi, i'm a nurse and we applied for PR with me as main applicant, without a job offer. its taken us about a year to gain PR but we werent in a rush as got house to sell. You could try and get a job offer and this speeds application up. someone else will prob have more details as you can get work visas etc. good luck
Old Apr 6th 2009, 8:00 am
AKT
Forum Regular

AKT will become famous soon enough

As a nurse you won't have a problem getting a job here. The quickest way to get over would be to get a work visa (takes a matter of days) but PR would take around 3-6 months (IMO). Check your points online for PR as you will get more if you are here and working, if you don't have more than 140 before you come, you will if you are here on a work visa. The very quickest (but most risk) is to get on a plane, come in on a holiday visa then sort everything out when you're here (but not earning) - I guess it depends on the 'urgency' of getting here.

The longest step in either process is getting all the paperwork for the Nursing Council (and waiting for them to process it) as it takes a couple of months and you need a transcript from wherever you got your degree/diploma from.

This is of course more expensive than going for PR as you are getting two visas but work visas are only around 80 quid, so it won't break the bank.

IMO I wouldn't use an agency, just approach the hospital directly, you may even get them to pay your airfare (depending on how part time you are).

HTH

A
Old Apr 7th 2009, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JENNYMG
hi
make the move to nz.
thanks for your help
jennifer

Hi

You could go with the work visa but if you decided to apply for a PR when over here it would be costly, it took us 6 months from EOI to actually landing in NZ with the PR visas granted.

Agencies can be helpful as they have the right contacts in the hospitals and up to date job offers, you could go direct to the hospital as well but we used an agency and had no problems with them at all, they helped us find accommodation when we arrived, even gave us a mobile phone to get us started as well as having a friendly face to see when you first land here

Any questions give me a shout here or pm me

Cheers
Alan