Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

VENT (Stay away if easily offended)

VENT (Stay away if easily offended)

Old May 23rd 2007, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VENT (Stay away if easily offended)

Originally Posted by happynz

That's a weak whinge. You score no points there. You live in Auckland and you complain there is no variety? One would have to be blind, stubborn or lazy to not see and taste the fabulous range of ingredients available for some really superb meals.
I don't think I'm whingeing! As a Latin American, I believe I am complaining. Sorry, I just can't agree about the food.

Have you been to the USA lately? Substitute the word terrorist for badger in the badger-badger-badger song and you'd summarise the news quite succintly in the US. Canada's news might be better but their signal doesn't reach to California. (I'm here in California working temporarily and get back to NZ first week of June)
I was in the US last year for a month, where I had the privilege to read the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal daily, if I pleased. If I were in England I would enjoy reading their well-regarded newspapers. There is nothing that even remotely compares here. I don't watch much TV news.

There wasn't that much 'wildlife' in New Zealand to begin with, saving for a species of bat.
I didn't mean to mean just the mammals. Many critters have been killed off by one of the fastest rates of deforestation in the world, esp. at the turn of the century. The introduced animals have done the rest of the damage to wildlife and flora, and there's been little progress in stopping them. The onslaught continues to this day.

I think we should agree to disagree! But it sounds like you have an excellent chance of enjoying your stay in NZ. It also seems like you're arriving as informed as possible, which is definitely admirable.

Last edited by The Weezer; May 23rd 2007 at 2:19 am.
Old May 23rd 2007, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

NZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to behold

I did not have asthma when I arrived in NZ 4 years ago but have developed in over the last 2 years....

Could it be the "crying windows" I wole up to this morning and will probably wake up to every morning until about November..Mmmmm lets see
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:32 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

NZGrl, If I was you I would get some form of forced air ventilation or dehumidifiers installed.

Also I was talking to an 'expert' the other day who said they always ventilated their house by the very simple process of opening the windows and doors for about 5 min during the day. Best if it can be done at a time when the outside temperature is reasonable.
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:39 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm I wonder where they get the stereo type that Poms whinge all the time.

This thread does little to dispell the myth.

NZ is a lovely place to live, no one is forcing you to stay.
Old May 23rd 2007, 12:58 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton

NZ is a lovely place to live, no one is forcing you to stay.
Yeah!! The first 'If you don't like it then leave' of the week. You win two tickets to a Dai Henwood concert...

2nd prize is four tickets.

I wonder how much Dai would pay for that joke? It's fresher than anything he's ever said...
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:06 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed Dai is not that great but he makes a living from it.

Would you prefer Les Dennis?
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:11 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton
Agreed Dai is not that great but he makes a living from it.

Would you prefer Les Dennis?
Yes.
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:07 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NZGrl
A two year old has just been SHOT by a gang member. Someone really needs to do something about this. The police just don't care....almost as if they are too scared to do something about it
This needs to be put in context. The shooting target was the house of a rival gang member. As sad as it is that the little girl was fatally wounded, I doubt very much the idiot who fired the weapon intended to do much more than frighten the occupants, otherwise they would have rocked up to the door and shot them point blank or done a driveby when people were clearly insight.

It was gang on gang, not gang on civilian (public). That said I agree the govt in NZ has been way too lax on gangs and needs to get some balls when dealing with those who are clearly criminals or who harrass innocent members of the public.

I agree that the wages Vs cost of living debate is a valid one as many have commented on it before. Contrary to popular belief the situation isn't a hell of a lot better in OZ.

People go to shopping malls in weekends here too. Does it matter what others do? I for one find other things to do that I enjoy.
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:15 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Cava Fizz;4819005]
Originally Posted by NZBee

yeah baby you got it....

How can one say anything is crap if they have nothing to compare it to. Lamb Shank is awful, oh you've never tried Lamb Flaps
Lamb shank can be quite good depending on how you cook them. They can be great in soups or casseroles/stews. I seldom buy them in OZ (too expensive). We used to feed the dogs lamb flaps (but Fijian friends ate them) and gravy beef. In OZ people actually eat gravy beef
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:36 pm
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by happynz
God those sausage sizzles are such a distinct Kiwi smell. I bloody well think those are a horror to eat, but hey nobody has forced me to eat 'em.
Local boosterism is common in most places, not unique to New Zealand.
Am glad you have made the distinction between a sausage sizzle and a BBQ. The two are very different. I have been to both in NZ and OZ.

And the whole 30+ years I lived in NZ I never noticed the arrogant boasting and carry on that is a part of everyday life here in OZ. There's a big difference between pride and arrogance. Kiwi's have always been a proud bunch but most are down to earth, even humble compared to their transtasman cousins.
Old May 23rd 2007, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child

I agree that the wages Vs cost of living debate is a valid one as many have commented on it before. Contrary to popular belief the situation isn't a hell of a lot better in OZ.
So would you not be better returning to Auckland KC? Perth makes you unhappy and if wages are not the attraction, can you not leave and return back here?
Or are you like us, playing the waiting game?
PS One of the bosses asked the hubby if he fancied a position in Perth
Not for me, its isolated location puts me off alone, plus we have to get to Melbourne to see hubby's old uncle next year if we can.
Old May 23rd 2007, 6:25 pm
Banned

howardk will become famous soon enoughhowardk will become famous soon enough

OK seeing as my last post was hijacked...Ive got a seperate one going here for people to talk about all the stuff they HATE about NZ.

Here goes

Just something I posted earlier this month

Is it me.....Or is NZ getting worse?

Over the past few months I have really noticed the negatives about being in NZ. I have been here for 4 years and TBH I am the first person to stick my hand up and say that NZ is an awesome place to be but I really think that NZ is surely going to the dogs....and I will tell you why.

1. The economy...rubbish! Is this because of the saying "Where are all the NZ'er on a bright sunny day?...at the local shopping mall" Honestly! I have no freekin idea why but thats all they want to do is go shopping. While the beautiful beaches and parks lay empty...the kiwi's are out and about shopping...Its really annoying. No wonder the economy is crap...Its because everyone is spending money they don't have....Don't get me started on the taxation system..Are we one of the highest taxed countries in the world. I must check that out.

2. One of the most boring countries I have ever visited with arguably the most people here with a lack of sense of humour. Most jokes are met with a blank face. I was just saying to my hubby the other day that if we did not like fishing we would be really stuck for things to do. Can't think of anywhere to go for my birthday...don't really know of anywhere I would like to visit.

3. Education...Does colouring in really constitute a good education for primary students? Need I say more?

4. Wages..with the average property prices the same as the UK and wages about 1/2 of the UK its not to get rich why people come here to live. You WILL be poor here unless you bring wads of cash with you and even then it does not last forever. There is only so much beauty you can live off here...You can't eat beauty and it does not pay your mortgage.

5. Gangs are a huge problem. One of my kids came home from school the other day and said "When one of my friends gets older he is going to join a gang like his dad" A two year old has just been SHOT by a gang member. Someone really needs to do something about this. The police just don't care....almost as if they are too scared to do something about it.

Well I suppose that this could just be my views...and some may call me a whinging pom....But get this.....Even the kiwi's are saying the same thing. Just listen to Newstalk ZB every morning.

My view is that unless you really have no other choice to go anywhere else then don't come to NZ. It really is more expensive than you think, more boring than you think, further away than you think (Unless you do not have anyone you love back in the UK you WILL get homesick), rougher than you think, colder than you think, damper than you think, more traffic than you think...and it is getting worse.

Have a nice day
hi nzgrl.....very good......well written...not enough realistic stuff written here...too many people prefer the 'lovely fluffy touristy' view of NZ..we don't hate the place but there are better locations out there...we have been here twice but will now return to canada in near future..........enough said.
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:26 pm
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by Rascal
So would you not be better returning to Auckland KC? Perth makes you unhappy and if wages are not the attraction, can you not leave and return back here?
Or are you like us, playing the waiting game?
PS One of the bosses asked the hubby if he fancied a position in Perth
Not for me, its isolated location puts me off alone, plus we have to get to Melbourne to see hubby's old uncle next year if we can.
Yeh it is a waiting game and complex and I'm sure you and others can appreciate that most of us just can't jump on a plane when we want. But to be honest I'm not sure that moving back to NZ is the answer for me. A long overdue holiday for about 3 months and some hands on research regarding day-to-day living there now needs to be done.

Perth is ok for a year or two stay but after that it is very easy to realise how disconected you can feel and how everything is bland, lack lustre and the parochialism about WA and their AFL teams (can't escape it unless you turn off all radios and tvs etc) etc begin to wear you down. It's definitely not the most sociable of places to live.

Moving over east, moving to the UK, and moving back to NZ are all possibilities that will take some time, money and more research to reach a final decision. There is more to life than money but at the same time we all need to be able to afford to eat well, have a warm shelter and reasonable paying job opportunities.
Old May 23rd 2007, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

OK seeing as my last post was hijacked...Ive got a seperate one going here for people to talk about all the stuff they HATE about NZ.
Back to the Topic:-

The male presenter on breakfast TV1 (thinks he's funny , but he's sooooo not)
My Landlord
Sub-Division
Seeing our neighbour washing his clothes in an old paint tin!!!
Yellow/Brown stained white sheets & underwear on our neighbours washing line.(after washing)
Driving on the stretch of motorway just after the Harbour Bridge southbound.
Tailgating.
The endless drone of petrol driven mowers & strimmers 7 days a week.
Unbelievable amounts of Junk mail
Driving through some wonderful countryside & not being able to stop & walk in it.
'Pams' line of food products (think 'Pam' needs to go to cookery school)
People not saying thankyou when you hold a door for them or give way to them in supermarkets.
Talking Up.
The term Soccer, it's FOOTBALL.
& finally, Mosquitoes, Do they ever go away!!!!!!
Old May 23rd 2007, 11:15 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Back to the Topic:-

The male presenter on breakfast TV1 (thinks he's funny , but he's sooooo not)
My Landlord
Sub-Division
Seeing our neighbour washing his clothes in an old paint tin!!!
Yellow/Brown stained white sheets & underwear on our neighbours washing line.(after washing)
Driving on the stretch of motorway just after the Harbour Bridge southbound.
Tailgating.
The endless drone of petrol driven mowers & strimmers 7 days a week.
Unbelievable amounts of Junk mail
Driving through some wonderful countryside & not being able to stop & walk in it.
'Pams' line of food products (think 'Pam' needs to go to cookery school)
People not saying thankyou when you hold a door for them or give way to them in supermarkets.
Talking Up.
The term Soccer, it's FOOTBALL.
& finally, Mosquitoes, Do they ever go away!!!!!!
amen.....sorry I missed most of that!!!!
Kids love Pam's Tandem Bars mind,
I'd extend the motorway gripe to *all* driving around Auckland at the wrong time of day (that is between 0620 and 1930!!!).....but our Landlord is OK, probably using us as a tax dodge anyway, seems that's what's keeping the property prices up in spite of the hellish interest rates - ruddy Kiwi amateur property developer/slum landlords

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.