Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

UPVC Double Glazing

UPVC Double Glazing

Old Jul 10th 2013, 12:30 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default UPVC Double Glazing

Looking at replacing some of our windows, I can literally feel the cold seeping in through them and after all this effort we have made to insulate the roof and underfloor, it makes sense to finish the job.

I can only find people who supply aluminium double glazing and after seeing what they have to offer, I not filled with a lot of confidence that its a good product.

So I have found the following company in Christchurch

www.nkwindows.co.nz

Contacted them, seem to know what they are talking about and have been very responsive.

Wondered if anyone had any dealings with them? Or know of any alternative South Island based companies?
Old Jul 10th 2013, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UPVC Double Glazing

I've met the English bloke who owns this company a few times, they have a great reputation.

http://www.upvcwindows.co.nz/
Old Jul 10th 2013, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Looking at replacing some of our windows, I can literally feel the cold seeping in through them and after all this effort we have made to insulate the roof and underfloor, it makes sense to finish the job.

I can only find people who supply aluminium double glazing and after seeing what they have to offer, I not filled with a lot of confidence that its a good product.

So I have found the following company in Christchurch

www.nkwindows.co.nz

Contacted them, seem to know what they are talking about and have been very responsive.

Wondered if anyone had any dealings with them? Or know of any alternative South Island based companies?
Can't help you with SI companies but we have just had our windows done here (UVPC DG) and the diffrence is amazing!!

Good luck with it all.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought about Timber? Red pine or cedar will last forever and look a lot nicer than ugly UPVC, nice and warm too.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

Hi
We have had double glazing from Homerite up here in Auckland and I believe they go onto the South Island to They were very helpful considering the size of some of our windows needing extra strength due to being on top of a hill in a high wind zone. No condensation and even when we have had 120k winds don't hear a thing.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Catchafire,
Let me know how you get on as I am in a similar situation, although I will have to wait until next year to get mine done. Cheers.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

I saw on another forum regarding double glazing NZ this company was recommended
http://www.eurowindows.co.nz/
Apparantly a german couple who having come here realised there was a market for UPVC double glazing

I am also interested in how much a house costs to do, watching with interest
Old Jul 10th 2013, 6:06 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone. I had a email through today from NK Windows, with a form to measure our existing windows, so they can provide a quote.

I will let you know what the damage is!
Old Jul 10th 2013, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Thanks everyone. I had a email through today from NK Windows, with a form to measure our existing windows, so they can provide a quote.

I will let you know what the damage is!
New front door, 1 x bi fold, 1 x sliding and 2 x small windows = $16,000 for me...

uPVC quote was a little more....
Old Jul 10th 2013, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
New front door, 1 x bi fold, 1 x sliding and 2 x small windows = $16,000 for me...

uPVC quote was a little more....
That seems a bit steep!

(you can get a 6ft x 4ft uPVC window for about £250 fitted in the uk)

Has anyone tried buying from the UK and having them shipped over?

Last edited by Robbie2010; Jul 10th 2013 at 10:20 am.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

qssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really nice

Bi-fold, if it is a double French standard size costs around £4K in the UK fitted.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 10:33 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

All the windows in our house. The front door, the back door and three french doors in our house all fitted with replacement double glazing.

Cost NZ$33,000 inc GST (VAT).supplied and installed by Warm Windows of Auckland. We live near Wellington. They estimate, supply and install windows and doors all over NZ. This included installing a cat flap ! This wasn't double glazed.

They took the old windows out and took away the waste material. I was able to sell the old french windows to a local salvage dealer which the double glazing company was aware of.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jul 10th 2013 at 10:38 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Have you thought about Timber? Red pine or cedar will last forever and look a lot nicer than ugly UPVC, nice and warm too.
Timber frames + sealed units = blown units...........ie single glazing with added "frosting"
Been there done that and just look it up on the inter-web if you doubt it.
The Window Man .co.uk was a good place to start back in the day
Although aesthetically so very pleasing to the eye, unfortunately double glazed sealed units fitted in almost all wood windows and doors have a notoriously short life (6 or so years from new before failure is not at all uncommon). This is mainly to do with water ingress to the glass perimeter due to basic frame design inadequacies and wrong glazing techniques, together with a lack of adequate drainage.
They also can help with a lot of the issues with buying replacement windows.
Get good profiles and spend more on other elements if you can like decent glazing. we got laminated glass on one side of the unit to improve noise issues in the UK.
In my experience the quality of the window installer is the most important element shoving windows in is not like laying carpet.........
Old Jul 13th 2013, 2:58 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

We had the whole house double glazed about 5 years ago. Aluminimum frames.
Seven smaller windows, one big one 2mx5m (panels weigh 250kg each), one single door, one double door and a double bifold door came to about $24k from Rylock in Johnsonville.
They're nowhere near as good as the uPVC ones we had in the UK. You can feel the heat going out of them and the double glazed units just have air inside, not vacuum or inert gas like UK ones.
Much better than the old 50year-old wood ones though.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee
Timber frames + sealed units = blown units...........ie single glazing with added "frosting"
Been there done that and just look it up on the inter-web if you doubt it.
The Window Man .co.uk was a good place to start back in the day
They also can help with a lot of the issues with buying replacement windows.
Get good profiles and spend more on other elements if you can like decent glazing. we got laminated glass on one side of the unit to improve noise issues in the UK.
In my experience the quality of the window installer is the most important element shoving windows in is not like laying carpet.........
If you're talking about retrofitting sealed units in existing timber frames then perhaps you have a point.
However I am referring to purpose built wooden frames such as we had in Scotland and that have been supplied with every Scotframe house for years with no problems. They are from Scandinavia originally and they know a bit about keeping warm!
These guys look good:
http://www.european-window.com/
I've just noticed my Velux window is wood too!

Last edited by Woodlea; Jul 13th 2013 at 3:23 am. Reason: .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.