Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

University in New Zealand

University in New Zealand

Old Oct 16th 2007, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Mattsimpson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default University in New Zealand

Hey there! New member here. I must admit that my initial reason for coming on here is a little selfish, I need some advice, but I can also see myself integrating into the community

Anyway, I'm a New Zealander, but unfortunately my family decided to move to Britain in the 50s, so I'm not a full New Zealander. Damn them! :P Well, I've been having a bit of a mental crisis recently as to whether I should go to uni in NZ or London. London has some really good drama schools (drama is what I'm after) and I'm not altogether sure what NZ has in the way of drama schools/ courses at uni. NZ is really where I want to be and it would help me to live there for 5 years in order to pass on my citizenship to my children. The only thing holding me back is the thought in my mind that if I go to NZ my career might not go so well as if I were to stay in London. Every other reason I have points to going to NZ.

I'm basically looking for any help/information/advice/ANYTHING regarding drama schools/drama courses, in order to help me make my decision and I also would LOVE to hear your opinion on what I should do.

Sorry if this is a bit lengthy and I look forward to seeing you around here!
Old Oct 16th 2007, 8:31 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: University in New Zealand

You want to be an actor?

It could be argued that, if acting is a talent, then it doesn't matter where you study so you might as well come to New Zealand. On the other hand, if you were offered a place at a top London drama school, you'd be a fool not to take it.

They have theatre and cinema and television in New Zealand, so if you come out here and are any good you'll find work......assuming you can lose the English accent. But you wouldn't be much of an actor if you couldn't do that.

Just keep a photo of Sam Neill in your wallet.

Last edited by Avid; Oct 16th 2007 at 8:39 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Yeah that's what I'm aiming for. I do see your point though. I'm not sure if your asking me to prove my credentials or anything, but I'm in the National Youth Theatre of GB, which is very hard to get into, so there must be something in me.
It's the only thing I care about, but If I don't make it I'm sure I will find something else.

Do you know more specifically if NZ has many drama schools?

Thanks very much!
Old Oct 16th 2007, 9:03 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Try this

Toiwhakaari
Old Oct 16th 2007, 9:26 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

My gut feeling is this...there are many different ways and means of entering New Zealand and it is something that can be done at any time of your life.

It could also be argued that there are equally as many different ways of becoming an actor...but I do think that if you had a chance to study at a top British drama college then you'd be a fool not to take it.

Your plan might be as follows....apply to all the good colleges in London (and the rest of the UK) and if it doesn't work out then come to New Zealand to make a go of it.

That's what, in a way, a lot of us on this forum have done....
Old Oct 17th 2007, 12:01 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid
Your plan might be as follows....apply to all the good colleges in London (and the rest of the UK) and if it doesn't work out then come to New Zealand to make a go of it.

That's what, in a way, a lot of us on this forum have done....
Gee thanks - you sure know how to make a person feel good about themselves....
Old Oct 17th 2007, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

Haha yeah, New Zealanders are just the failures of life. :P
Old Oct 17th 2007, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by southerner
Gee thanks - you sure know how to make a person feel good about themselves....
'chuckles' is my middle name.

Anyway, once the OP has finished his drama course he'll be too busy playing 'youth in fight' on The Bill to bother about this little corner of the world...
Old Oct 18th 2007, 12:43 am

Hoyo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Avid
'chuckles' is my middle name.

Anyway, once the OP has finished his drama course he'll be too busy playing 'youth in fight' on The Bill to bother about this little corner of the world...
Thinking outside the square - i would look into going to Hollywood and enrolling on an acting class there...why not? Last time I was there I went into the Method acting studio in westwood - they have a good program by the looks of it.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future

I am in a completely different industry, but have a similar background with parents coming out to NZ decades ago. I went to the University of Auckland, got my degrees and then headed back to the UK (and other places). Coming back to NZ with London experience was the thing that counted, not the location of my studies.

In your case, you already have London experience and study, and you will always have that. I would think (in my limited experience) that it would also be easier to get ahead in your industry in NZ.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

Why would you think it easier? And do you mean a London lifestyle?

I wouldn't dream of going to hollywood, I don't intend on becoming a garish screen actor.

I was speaking to my director the other day who is from Oz, and he said it doesn't matter where you study, but if you stayed in London it would be easier to launch your career with your contacts that you would have made.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 12:51 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mattsimpson
I wouldn't dream of going to Hollywood. I don't intend on becoming a garish screen actor.
Don't ever lower your standards. However, remember it's easier to fall than to climb.

Good luck.

Last edited by happynz; Oct 19th 2007 at 12:54 am.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by Mattsimpson
I was speaking to my director the other day who is from Oz, and he said it doesn't matter where you study, but if you stayed in London it would be easier to launch your career with your contacts that you would have made.
Which is a luvvie way of saying "DON'T GO TO NEW ZEALAND"!!!!!

You should try to learn your trade at the highest level and with the best people, then you can work anywhere you want.