Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Universal basic income

Universal basic income

Old Mar 24th 2016, 5:55 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Universal basic income

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I'd be careful of cutting IRD too far because you don't want to get into the situation the US with the IRS where IRRC they can generate $8 in revenue for every $1 they fund the IRS. Also if you've ever tried to contact IRD it's not as if their call center is overstaffed, perhaps reallocating some of the staff if they know complicated things about tax would be helpful for us simple folk.

Not long now until us PAYE workers can file actually. It's like Christmas but with money instead of festive knitted jumpers.
I notice in the article I read that he said it was an aging workforce, so presumably when those older people are laid off and can't get jobs, the state will pick up the tab. Hmmm.....
Old Mar 24th 2016, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Thought it was all about means testing, tax allowances, credits, debits........

...in the UK so much time is wasted trying to calculate entitlements then giving people money then taxing them to take it back, then paying housing benefit....

If all the calculations were just thrown away, and everyone was given a basic weekly/monthly sum of money then it would be so much less complicated. Billions have already been wasted on the Universal Credit system. You could have saved the money and just paid it out at a flat rate.

This would. of course, mean that loads of Civil Servants would no longer have a job.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
This would. of course, mean that loads of Civil Servants would no longer have a job.

Hence the saving

WINZ staff dropped to $200 per week

Cutting out all the tape does make sense and they are right to start with $200, a figure that will make a lot of difference to those that need it and for those that don't a easily revised paye table pulls it back.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Parnell
Hence the saving

WINZ staff dropped to $200 per week

Cutting out all the tape does make sense and they are right to start with $200, a figure that will make a lot of difference to those that need it and for those that don't a easily revised paye table pulls it back.
What about just giving everybody a job that wants one.
Think of the savings at WINZ then, and the increase in productivity in the economy. Win win all round.

Note: unemployment is a government choice. They chose to have 5%+ unemployed as a neolibral policy to drive down wages.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoCarb
What about just giving everybody a job that wants one.
Think of the savings at WINZ then, and the increase in productivity in the economy. Win win all round.

Note: unemployment is a government choice. They chose to have 5%+ unemployed as a neolibral policy to drive down wages.
Agree

But there are periods in between where this system would flush out costs and give people certainty of power + food.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 5:41 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Universal basic income

I would not support a guaranteed employment scheme and here is why:

The only way to get employers hiring would be to offer them an incentive, however far from pressuring employers to become more efficient it would likely bring low cost labor into the workforce. This same approach with personal tax credits and reducing real minimum wages for low income workers may have contributed to productivity collapse in the UK.

UBI is of interest to me because it enables social mobility by giving people choices and pushing for higher levels of productivity instead of digging a deeper hole. If this means an employer has to invest/lease in a burger flipping machine instead of hiring a burger flipper the flipper suddenly has other choices like up-skilling or entrepreneurship (making artisan burgers or tevs).

Also if you make this a monetary credit to employers the velocity of money is unlikely to increase as much as giving it to consumers, if you discount an increase in velocity of money the UBI starts to look very expensive (because you won't get that spending growth or tax revenue increase).

However I appreciate tax credits for employers is a very conservative and hence easier to swallow. We already have low unemployment by historic standards but productivity and wage growth (which are intrinsically linked) have been very poor.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Charismatic
We already have low unemployment by historic standards ...
Not in my lifetime!

Job Guarantee is a government scheme and not a private sector "make work" scheme.

Old Apr 3rd 2016, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Finland is introducing it.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Finland is another Euro basket case (think Greece):

Finland’s problem is exactly the euro! | Bill Mitchell – billy blog
Old Apr 6th 2016, 6:21 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Universal basic income

Originally Posted by scot47
Finland is introducing it.
Swiss go to a referendum later this year and there are some Canadian cities that are going to run a trial.
Old May 11th 2016, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Caryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jmh
I like it. I think we need a fairer system and the current offensive policing carried out by WINZ is costly and intrusive. People should not be receiving different amounts depending on whether or not they are having sex. The current benefits system is clumsy, open to abuse and doesn't adequately support those who need it. People often move in and out of employment based on job insecurity, childcare challenges/costs and sickness. Where this has been trialled in other countries, people stopped work to re-train, become a stay at home parent or start a new business. Some chose to volunteer.

The economic benefits are a reduction in the cost of administering the benefit system and the increase in money supply in the economy.
I totally agree.
Old May 11th 2016, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Caryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jmh
I'm reminded of my uncle. He has had ill health during the latter part of his working life. ACC would fund him for a while, then kick him out to get paid work, then he would get sick again and be back on ACC, then they kicked him out.... Now he's on super, he is holding down a part-time job and has been working there for a number of years. The stability and the ability to work part time has benefitted his health, and I'm guessing costs the state less.

There will be some lazy slackers, but no system stops that. I was just watching a BBC programme about poverty in London in the 19th century, where the only solution for people out of work was prostitution or crime. If there are no benefits that next best thing is theft for some.
I agree again. Manageable hours of work. Keeps you active, socially integrated, earning your keep and off ACC or sickness benefit.
Old May 11th 2016, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LoCarb
John Key thinks it's "barking mad".

John Key: Labour's universal income idea 'barking mad' - Politics - NZ Herald News

Although I wouldn't go that far, it must be the first time I can remember that I've agreed with him!
His reaction is enough to let you know that it would be a good plan! Means no one has to sell their souls to get something to to pay rent and eat.
Old May 31st 2016, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

"A Universal Basic Income Is a Poor Tool to Fight Poverty"

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/01/bu...e-poverty.html