Reload this Page >

uk primary teachers teaching in nz

uk primary teachers teaching in nz

Old Mar 8th 2008, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Lisa74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default uk primary teachers teaching in nz

Hi all,
would love to hear from any uk primary teachers who have made the move to nz, just really thinking about moving at the moment and have heard lots of comments saying that although primary teachers are stated as being in short supply people are finding it hard getting jobs. I have a family of 5 so still wondering should i take the chance!! Also would love to hear views on the different teaching styles and even though I have 10 years experience will this be recognised on move??? so many questions - really would love some advice and help thx
Old Mar 9th 2008, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uk primary teachers teaching in nz

Originally Posted by Lisa74
Hi all,
would love to hear from any uk primary teachers who have made the move to nz, just really thinking about moving at the moment and have heard lots of comments saying that although primary teachers are stated as being in short supply people are finding it hard getting jobs. I have a family of 5 so still wondering should i take the chance!! Also would love to hear views on the different teaching styles and even though I have 10 years experience will this be recognised on move??? so many questions - really would love some advice and help thx
Hi Lisa, we moved to NZ in 2006. I would say that finding a primary teaching post depends on where you want to live. We're in little (but mighty!) Timaru, and there's huge competition for teaching posts. I finally secured a permanent post at the beginning of this year. I know that Toni (Wiz-n-ton) could tell you it's equally as difficult getting a job in Christchurch, but it may be easier to find work in Aukland, and also the more rural schools.
As for teaching, it's not hugely different to what you'd experience in the UK. Less emphasis on testing and results, but still lots of assessment. I'm really enjoying teaching here. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me.
Best wishes, Debbie.