UK and NZ banks

Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK and NZ banks

Originally Posted by jennifer45
The latest scare mongering about possibility of UK needing to print more money in near future, is really making us think of moving all our money over to NZ or a fair chunk of it, whilst sterling still has some value.
BUT- it would not be covered if NZ bank failed as we are non residents, also the exchange rate is so poor at mo,
jennie
Never putting all your eggs in one basket is sound financial advice at any time but in uncertain times like these even sounder i.m.h.o....spread your assets. If it all really did go pearshaped, I'd rather have the UK Government behind me than the NZ one. With a population of 4 million to tax, the NZ Government is hardly cash rich and the investor protection has only just been introduced.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Hothouse is a jewel in the roughHothouse is a jewel in the roughHothouse is a jewel in the roughHothouse is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the info. I am contacting HiFX on friday to get some more information. As for the NZ banks, what amounts of money are secured by the NZ government? I wouldn't have thought it is as great as the UK

Mnay thanks
Old Jan 29th 2009, 11:17 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

I think from reading up it is$1,000,000 for deposits - call, bond, term. This is assuming your bank has opted into the government's deposit guarantee scheme and AFAIK all the banks have opted in. I will check the exact amount though if I can get my annoying internet connection to work!

Info sheet here

There are quite a few terms and conditions so I would suggest reading it. Perhaps have some caffeine before you try it!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Hothouse is a jewel in the roughHothouse is a jewel in the roughHothouse is a jewel in the roughHothouse is a jewel in the rough

Just had a look at HiFX and they're offering just over $2.75. Things are looking up
Old Jan 30th 2009, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

1.00 GBP = 2.82045 NZD

yeeeeehaaaaaaaaaa:thumbsup::thumbsu p:
Old Jan 30th 2009, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Things are on the up. NZ interest rates rumoured to be coming down on monday or tuesday and exchange rates the otherway