Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

uk house to sell...

uk house to sell...

Old May 14th 2008, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

klicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant future
Default uk house to sell...

Hi!! Just like to know, if people tell the estate agents about moving abroard ?? and the ...hopefully lots of serious viewers ..??? seeing as there would be no chain on our part !! I heard somebody saying, never to tell them that you are moving abroard, because they have you at the last minute and try to drop the price !! So what do you say ???Or mayby any offer on the house we should take ,because we should be lucky that anybody is buying at the moment....gulp
Old May 14th 2008, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: uk house to sell...

Originally Posted by klicker
Hi!! Just like to know, if people tell the estate agents about moving abroard ?? and the ...hopefully lots of serious viewers ..??? seeing as there would be no chain on our part !! I heard somebody saying, never to tell them that you are moving abroard, because they have you at the last minute and try to drop the price !! So what do you say ???Or mayby any offer on the house we should take ,because we should be lucky that anybody is buying at the moment....gulp
Hi we too are just about to put our house on the market. We have decided to say that we are (hopefully) emigrating, but agent is a friend of mine. As at the moment we havent got any urgency to go, until we get visa's I shall just be playing it cool. I t is difficult to know what to do depending on your circumstances. Good luck with the house sale hopes all goes smoothly for you.
Old May 14th 2008, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by klicker

Why don't you say you are taking time out to travel and once you have a buyer you can say that you will then arrange to stay with rellies until such time as you go. That way they know that you are not desperate to take anything. It worked for us.
Old May 15th 2008, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tell them nothing!

As above, if not then simply do not tell anyone, just say you are moving North/South.

Whilst it is nice to think that there are nice genuine house buyers out there for some strange reason house buying seems (to me anyway) to bring out the worse in people.

If a punter knows you are about to go, furniture shipped, flights arranged etc etc on the day of completion invariably you will be asked to drop your price by a huge amount. Either comply or alternatively go back on the market.

I told our solicitor for our house sale that the purchasers had to pull their heads in and they had until 5pm that day otherwise no further negotiation would be entertained, it worked.

By the way it was the estate agent that told them we were emigrating.

So my advise for what it's worth is: Tell no-one and trust no-one!

NG
Old May 15th 2008, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

zummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tell them nothing!

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
As above, if not then simply do not tell anyone, just say you are moving North/South.

Whilst it is nice to think that there are nice genuine house buyers out there for some strange reason house buying seems (to me anyway) to bring out the worse in people.

If a punter knows you are about to go, furniture shipped, flights arranged etc etc on the day of completion invariably you will be asked to drop your price by a huge amount. Either comply or alternatively go back on the market.

I told our solicitor for our house sale that the purchasers had to pull their heads in and they had until 5pm that day otherwise no further negotiation would be entertained, it worked.

NG
Well, we told our agent we were emigrating .... and had no problems.

However, in our case we were waiting for the visas, so we've moved into rental for the interim period.

We only got 1 daft offer, and the lady who did buy it didn't haggle or anything. Only extra she got was our old chest freezer and larder fridge ... grand total of about £300 if she'd bought new.
Old May 15th 2008, 8:21 am
Just Joined

balmand2 is just really nicebalmand2 is just really nicebalmand2 is just really nicebalmand2 is just really nicebalmand2 is just really nicebalmand2 is just really nicebalmand2 is just really nicebalmand2 is just really nicebalmand2 is just really nice

Hi
We have accepted an offer on our house recently. First time buyers, lovely. We told the estate agent we are planning to move abroad by the end of the year but we would be moving in to rented accommodation so no rush really. We are just waiting for our survey date. Apparently the mortgage providers are dragging there feet, the buyers have paid for the survey. Our estate agent said the mortgage companies want to be seen to be lending money but are in no rush to actually lend. Our buyers have made a complaint & we should be getting a date any day.
I would play it by ear if I were you, just don't let the estate agent or any potential buyers think you are desperate to sell, even if you are but then we all are even if we aren't planning a move abroad.

Good luck fingers crossed.
Mandy
Old May 15th 2008, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

NG
Oh Nice Guy you old cynic
Old May 15th 2008, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

klicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant future

NG
Luv your reply NICE GUY !!!! I will remember your advise !! lol !
Thank you for everybodys reply !! Its going to be nerveracking putting the house up for sale ... (have to keep it tidy and clean ALL the time !! have 4 kids like...) Last house we sold within 4 days being on the market !! That was sooo lucky !! Guess if the right buyer who at the moment NEEDS to move is out there then thats all it takes to get rid of it !!! (actually luv my house....
Old May 15th 2008, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tell them bugger all!

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Oh Nice Guy you old cynic

Miserable cynic...........if you don't mind!
Old May 15th 2008, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

We recently sold our and yes we told the estate agent.
She advised us not to tell any prospective veiwres as she felt
it would only bring some silly offers from people who might think we
were desperate.
She gave us good advice right through the sale process so you can
trust some people after all.
We accepted 2 grand less than our intial bottom limit which we set bafore christmas
so considering the down turn in the market i think we did quite well.
Old May 15th 2008, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

we completed and moved two weeks ago today... told the agent our plans but were v clear that we were planning on moving to rented before making the move to nz... their advice was not to mention nz to anyone, just that we were planning on moving to rented so we could be flexible...

worked for us (after 7 months!)

good luck