Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

UK guy in a conundrum

UK guy in a conundrum

Old Jan 26th 2007, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Craigy123 has a spectacular aura aboutCraigy123 has a spectacular aura aboutCraigy123 has a spectacular aura about
Default UK guy in a conundrum

Oh what do i do, i'm in a pickle i have never been to NZ before but have been offered a job that i applied for, in North island. it's a full time job and quite an oppertunity and would really help the visa situation.

Meanwhile i have also applied for a job in South africa, and have also been accepted for this !

The NZ job is in a paper mill so will be a routine day to day job, the africa is for a geophysical survey company that requires me 8 weeks away 4 home. This involves extensive travelling throughout Africa and Middle East and maybe some Europe, spending a lot of time low level flying in a light aircraft.

On is a commitment, the other adventure, i don't know which to take for the best, it would help if i knew what NZ was really like.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 2:14 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK guy in a conundrum

Originally Posted by Craigy123
Oh what do i do, i'm in a pickle i have never been to NZ before but have been offered a job that i applied for, in North island. it's a full time job and quite an oppertunity and would really help the visa situation.

Meanwhile i have also applied for a job in South africa, and have also been accepted for this !

The NZ job is in a paper mill so will be a routine day to day job, the africa is for a geophysical survey company that requires me 8 weeks away 4 home. This involves extensive travelling throughout Africa and Middle East and maybe some Europe, spending a lot of time low level flying in a light aircraft.

On is a commitment, the other adventure, i don't know which to take for the best, it would help if i knew what NZ was really like.
Where in NZ is the paper mill job? Is it in a place called Tokoroa?
Old Jan 26th 2007, 2:17 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mazi
Where in NZ is the paper mill job? Is it in a place called Tokoroa?
In fact - even before you answer, if I were you (and I am NOT so you must make your own decision), I would take the South African job offer. Adventure over committment any day. I have also been to NZ (but I must confess not to South Africa though I have a good friend who lives there for part of the year so i have heard a lot about it) - I'd still go for the South African option.

There are others here who will tell you differently though.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 4:04 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craigy123

South Africa and Middle East, hmmm? Adventure or dicing with death! No seriously, I understand your situation. My hubby opted for a job in Mexico City over the UK and we loved every second of it, despite the horror stories. Lets face it, if you hate the place or job, you can always swap it, although I appreciate the paperwork aspect of things is difficult, but its not impossible. Do you have a family? A wife? This may help your decision?

What is NZ really like? A LOT of people have a view on this, like a lot of people have a view on certain foods. They're incredibly contrasting. Its like we all visited a different place! Personally we chose NZ because it suited our requirements (we have a young family). And we needed some stability and safety for our girls. Had I have been young, free and single, I might have opted for SA. I'm sure your true preference is deep within your soul! I guess initially the job should dictate more than the place? The most secure one, the one which will look best on your CV, the one which will ultimately help you with your career.

Hope this isn't too waffly for you!

Good luck with your decision and relish in the knowledge that you are very much wanted!

Nikki x
Old Jan 26th 2007, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Craigy123 has a spectacular aura aboutCraigy123 has a spectacular aura aboutCraigy123 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for all the replies, first off yes the mill is in Tokoroa, a place called Kinleith Mill, my situation is this, no children, not married, thought i do live with my partner and have a dog.

I'm not sure how these thread things work so i'll jump onto a seperate reply to Nikki.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Well Nikki the only person i know who has been to NZ and recommends it has old black + white pictures, so things will have changed somewhat since he was there, i have a partner , not a wife and no children.

I was comtemplating if i did go to NZ to take out a work visa initially and give it a try for 6 months or so then see how i feel if i intended on staying then bring everything else over.

Some day i intend on getting out of the UK so this may be the oppertunity, i would have to think that i regret it someday and never get a second chance. Though i guess i have all of Europe to choose from in reality.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 7:25 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Well I would bin the dog and the girlfriend and go on an adventure of a life time

Maybe thats not what you wanted to hear We (me and the wife) have just got back from NZ and it was better than our wildest expectations. But we looked from a family point of view.

But really if I was younger and no reall ties then I really would go for the adventure. You only live once and ............ you get my drift!

Worst case. Flip a coin. Its a win win situation for you mate

But whatever you decide .....

ENJOY
Old Jan 26th 2007, 7:39 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad
Well I would bin the dog and the girlfriend and go on an adventure of a life time

Maybe thats not what you wanted to hear We (me and the wife) have just got back from NZ and it was better than our wildest expectations. But we looked from a family point of view.

But really if I was younger and no reall ties then I really would go for the adventure. You only live once and ............ you get my drift!

Worst case. Flip a coin. Its a win win situation for you mate

But whatever you decide .....

ENJOY

I'm with Jack on this one

You've gotta give it a shot at least, no good looking back thinking what if.....
Old Jan 26th 2007, 7:50 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
I'm with Jack on this one

You've gotta give it a shot at least, no good looking back thinking what if.....
Now watch the girlies come along and play merry hell

Old Jan 26th 2007, 7:55 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=Jack The Lad;4329647]Now watch the girlies come along and play merry hell

Oi !!!

I am a girly!!!!
Old Jan 26th 2007, 7:59 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Adventure over commitment any day. You'll have plenty of time for the latter.......

Plus, never heard anyone recommend NZ for couples/singles. NZ offers a good lifestyle for families (like many parts of the UK & Europe for that matter), not so sure it offers so much for young carefree couples.

But lucky to have a choice.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 7:59 pm
Banned

[QUOTE=kev&sarah;4329666]

Oi !!!

I am a girly!!!!
Sorry sounded like a bloke

Your right though. Bin the dog and the girlfriend. He can always make up with her after the adventure. If she wont take him back then it wasnt meant to be. Treat it like a test of her true love
Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Jack as if we would
i would say your young (blimey i sound old) have an adventure, but i know a few people from south africia all of whom say its changed for the worse, but then you'll get conflicting reports on NZ too.
of courrse a question that springs to my mind is are you & your girlfriend used to spending time apart, if not would you're relationship manage with it
good luck with what ever you decide
personally i love NZ it suits us & our personalities
Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:02 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Jack The Lad;4329682]
Originally Posted by kev&sarah

Sorry sounded like a bloke

Your right though. Bin the dog and the girlfriend. He can always make up with her after the adventure. If she wont take him back then it wasnt meant to be. Treat it like a test of her true love
But Jack - why can't he have an adventure with his girlfriend?

... and his dog? ..... kinky!
Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Compared to say...................sex!

Golly gosh yes, I could not agree more:

Adventure over commitment any day of the week!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.