Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

UK banks and Building Societies.

UK banks and Building Societies.

Old Mar 27th 2013, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK banks and Building Societies.

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
Genesis, for f***s sake spend your money ... otherwise your going to get ulcers with all your worrying!
Just bought a nice old convertible, still trying to get a new roof on the house and those bills keep on coming! $2000 worth thru' the letter box yesterday!!! Another $2,500 when the heat pump is fixed! Don't you worry we're ploughing through it.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by M_and_M
Hahahahaha ha! I gotta say I wish I had enough cash to worry about it!
You probably will when you are almost 55.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
You probably will when you are almost 55.
I had better hurry up then!
Old Mar 27th 2013, 6:58 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Banks in the UK are safer if their backs are to the wall (government guarantees etc.). Australian banks are better models in terms of current profitability and inherent underlying risk at the moment.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 8:26 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by M_and_M
I had better hurry up then!
Well. Yis ! --- as someone in the 50+ range. You need to have something substantial under your belt by when you are in your fifties and before that TBH , if you want to be independent and not dependent on some state somewhere. It is up to you to do that - now.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Well. Yis ! --- as someone in the 50+ range. You need to have something substantial under your belt by when you are in your fifties and before that TBH , if you want to be independent and not dependent on some state somewhere. It is up to you to do that - now.
You cannot move to another country and still have massive savings.

Plus, you only live once.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 10:41 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Pardon? Not sure what you mean there. Of course you can move countries and still have savings. People do it all the time all across the globe.

We've no 'massive' savings. We do have 35/40yrs+ of full-time work and graft each under our belts plus extra part time work , weekends and evenings for decades on end. So what we have is what we have earned, what we have saved and what has gone pear shaped through what government stated we must do with our own hard earned money and so went down the swanney. i.e, work for nothing

Do you or have you done the same?

You know what. If you don't want to have to support an ageing population by way of taxes and benefit suport , then support those of usthat have put a good percent of their earnings into looking to their future rather than spending it at the time on 'toys' like mobile phones , iphones ,cars etc.
People like me still don't have 'toys' but now get knocked for trying to ensure we can be independent into our adage.

I do wonder if this is a generational thing. I remember poverty among the elderly when I was young. It was instilled in me, via my parents to make sure I saw to myself and I have. However, I have never felt the need to knock those that have had the wherewithal to provide for themselves better than I could afford to. It wouldn't ever have occurred to me at all until I saw it here in BE to be honest.

You do only live once. My personal preference is to live my life independently . That means moderation in your life and savings for when you are older, unless, of course, you live for the day and hope someone else will take care of you in the years to come when you may not be able to. I find that irresponsible in this day and age TBH and don't get me wrong here, I love travel , fun, life. I really do. We just can't afford to do it now and prefer not to dump on others later.

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 27th 2013 at 10:44 am.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I love those cheery BNZ Kiwisaver ads that sing 'I'm gonna work 'til I die, I'm gonna work 'til I die.......'

I have seen way too many here that look like they are nearly there already and they have no option other than to work on and on and on because they have no provisions for pensions. It's most sad really.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 11:23 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: UK banks and Building Societies.

I'd like money when I'm old to force grandchildren to visit and listening to my monotonous ramblings while enduring fig roles or buy a much younger mail order wife.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK banks and Building Societies.

As long as I can buy my Murray Mints...........I am happy!
Old Mar 27th 2013, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Hold on a cotton picking minute here. I am not a sponger and am not planning to be a 'looked after pensioner'. I HAVE made provisions for my old age and have worked non stop since I was 19.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 1:22 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
As long as I can buy my Murray Mints...........I am happy!
Nice Guy!! Haven't seen ya in yonks! (Not since i was posting on the 'Other Island' forum.) Hope you're well?

I think it's great that people still have trust and faith in 'de bubbermint', and are convinced that the self-serving political parasites will ride in and save the day, when the SHTF.

About those 'government guarantees'... what are they backed with? Tax payer's money. The government doesn't have any money of it's own. It neither spins nor weaves. It is a parasitic organisation. Takes, and takes and gives nothing back. All of those 'government services' are paid for with YOUR money.

Imagine a rampaging bull is coming at you, full tilt. How efficaceous is that 'guarantee' of yours going to be if you hold it up in front of you as a shield? Right! Bugger all use!

Well, it's the same with your bank guarantee. If there's no money left, because the government has spent it all propping up failing banks, then there will be nothing with which to pay you. I don't know how I can say it any plainer. Anyone who trusts banks and the government parasites to 'play fair' is a fool.

Anyone who keeps large wedges of cash in the bank is begging to be robbed.

That's it. I'm tired of repeating myself. Just please, do NOT put me in the position of having to say "I told you so."

Let the hating commence.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by downunderpom
Nice Guy!! Haven't seen ya in yonks! (Not since i was posting on the 'Other Island' forum.) Hope you're well?

I think it's great that people still have trust and faith in 'de bubbermint', and are convinced that the self-serving political parasites will ride in and save the day, when the SHTF.

About those 'government guarantees'... what are they backed with? Tax payer's money. The government doesn't have any money of it's own. It neither spins nor weaves. It is a parasitic organisation. Takes, and takes and gives nothing back. All of those 'government services' are paid for with YOUR money.

Imagine a rampaging bull is coming at you, full tilt. How efficaceous is that 'guarantee' of yours going to be if you hold it up in front of you as a shield? Right! Bugger all use!

Well, it's the same with your bank guarantee. If there's no money left, because the government has spent it all propping up failing banks, then there will be nothing with which to pay you. I don't know how I can say it any plainer. Anyone who trusts banks and the government parasites to 'play fair' is a fool.

Anyone who keeps large wedges of cash in the bank is begging to be robbed.

That's it. I'm tired of repeating myself. Just please, do NOT put me in the position of having to say "I told you so."

Let the hating commence.
Is it not worrying that we can no longer trust banks or more so mutual building societies? I don't want to bury money in the form of silver or gold in my garden or play the bullion market. I have neither the nerve or the knowledge. I have lost too much money over the years trying to be 'fiscally prudent'. What is there for the ultra conservative investor who holds GBP AND does not wish to speculate on the housing market?

Sounds like the mattress as I mooted last week is the best bet. The only thing that will rob you there is inflation eh? Oh, and burglars.

Are mutual societies like the Nationwide also a 'bad bet'?
Old Mar 28th 2013, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like this talk about not trusting politicians and banks because really potentially everyone can rob you, lie to you, hurt you....not only politicians and banks. How much lying is there within families?

There are no safe bets with regards to money - ever. Companies, governments, individuals can go bankrupt and your money is gone. Your house can burn down to the ground, earthquakes, tornadoes....you name it. Money in mattresses can be stolen. There is risk everywhere.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Assanah
I don't like this talk about not trusting politicians and banks because really potentially everyone can rob you, lie to you, hurt you....not only politicians and banks. How much lying is there within families?

There are no safe bets with regards to money - ever. Companies, governments, individuals can go bankrupt and your money is gone. Your house can burn down to the ground, earthquakes, tornadoes....you name it. Money in mattresses can be stolen. There is risk everywhere.
I'm not leaving the house now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.