Uk 2 Oz 2 Nz

Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

hank is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uk 2 Oz 2 Nz

Goodmorning/afternoon etc.

This is a little offbeat as questions to this forum go,but I am curious to see wether there are any British Expats out there that are living in NZ having come via Australia,myself and my wife and several children have lived on the Sunshine Coast QLD for 5 years and are contenplating our next adventure, as we are now Oz citizens the legal bit is relatively straight forward.

What I am most interested in is anyones relevant observations on the different countries,don't get me wrong we enjoy QLD although it is incredibly hot sometimes and a little bit more culture would't go amis!!but there seams to be such an exodus from NZ to Oz I feel a little bit nervous about going against the grain.

Any info would be splendid,we seem to be focusing on Christchurch.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Uk 2 Oz 2 Nz

Originally Posted by hank

This is a little offbeat as questions to this forum go,but I am curious to see wether there are any British Expats out there that are living in NZ having come via Australia,myself and my wife and several children have lived on the Sunshine Coast QLD for 5 years and are contenplating our next adventure, as we are now Oz citizens the legal bit is relatively straight forward.

What I am most interested in is anyones relevant observations on the different countries,don't get me wrong we enjoy QLD although it is incredibly hot sometimes and a little bit more culture would't go amis!!but there seams to be such an exodus from NZ to Oz I feel a little bit nervous about going against the grain.

I'm not known for my love of NZ but seriously, if it's a bit more culture you want, NZ may not be the best choice.

Good reggae though.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Birdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

We are also ex uk ex Au and now in NZ been here only 2 weeks though, so not much help. We live/lived in Perth, although have done a few years on the Goldy as well back in the days b4 kid.

I like it, only here for a year and yet to see what a winter is like, struggling a little with the summer, which has been beautiful so far, but have to have the heater on in the bathroom already.... Worrisome for winter!

Its nice to be able to put your hands in a dark place and not worry about red backs and stuff, culturally I think its a bit nicer than AU. However am in a tourist town on the North Island and not working yet, so may be a bit misguided.

Ask again in a few weeks/months and I will try and be realsitic. Do know it was more of an upheaval for our 2.5 yr old than we had anticipated though.

Cheers
Bird
Old Jan 31st 2007, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Birdey
Hello

I like it, only here for a year and yet to see what a winter is like, struggling a little with the summer, which has been beautiful so far, but have to have the heater on in the bathroom already.... Worrisome for winter!

Bird
Wow, really?!! Is that because you are used to very high temperatures or is it really cold enough there for a heater?
Old Feb 1st 2007, 4:38 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're looking for culture Mazi's right.

As for the cold you have to experience it to really appreciate it, I wouldn't describe it as being a welcome relief from the heat of Oz.

If you're really serious about making the move come over and try the place out first. Suss out the price of houses in areas where you feel like living and see what sort of pay you could get. NZ has a bad rap for being a low wage economy and there aren't as many jobs to choose from as there are in Oz.

Lastly, when Oz has a problem it just throws money at it ($10 billion to sort out water shortages) until it's sorted. When NZ has a problem it navel gazes and looks up now and then to see if it's disappeared yet .
Old Feb 1st 2007, 5:59 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hank

Mazi and Nerine are well known for their dislike of NZ, so bear that in mind. You will find NZ and NZers far more relaxed, friendly and a more moderate climate than OZ. NZ does indeed have culture, which infact is far more noticeable and less pretentious than OZ.

NZ isn't Italy (where Mazi now lives) or Greece etc. You can't possibly have the kind of culture that places that have been empires thousands of years ago have, if the country you are in has only been occupied for a few hundred years.

Chch is ok but parts can be a bit depressing (mainly eastside and parts of the sth of the city).
Old Feb 1st 2007, 6:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Mazi [and Nerine] are well known for their dislike of NZ, so bear that in mind. as I pointed out

You will find NZ and NZers far more relaxed, friendly and a more moderate climate than OZIn your opinion - note I always state that what I say is my opinion.

NZ does indeed have aculture, which infact is far more noticeable and less pretentious than OZ.Pretentious is not a word I would use to describe Oz (or NZ for that matter). Having said that I have only spent a max of about 8 weeks in Oz.

NZ isn't Italy (where Mazi now lives) or Greece etc. You can't possibly have the kind of culture that places that have been empires thousands of years ago have, if the country you are in has only been occupied for a few hundred years.

You appear to be referring to the fact that Italy (and other 'old' countries) has ancient art/architecture etc. which is not really what I'm talking about. Clearly you cannot have those things in a young country. I mean NZ is not particularly geared to cultural pursuits - the overriding free-time activities are based on barbecues, sport and the beach which some people do not enjoy. It is not the norm for people in NZ to want to go to the theatre, an art gallery or discuss a good book. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but beach and barbecues rather take over.

Chch is ok but parts can be a bit depressing (mainly eastside and parts of the sth of the city).
Old Feb 1st 2007, 9:09 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Mazi I yearn for European culture but if I can't have it Oz will have to do. I spent a week in Sydney, fitted in two concerts and only scratched the surface whilst Auckland can be done in a long weekend and North Island in a week.

A dreary wet day in Auckland v. a dreary wet day in Sydney - I know which I'd chose .
Old Feb 1st 2007, 9:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Nerine
Mazi I yearn for European culture but if I can't have it Oz will have to do. I spent a week in Sydney, fitted in two concerts and only scratched the surface whilst Auckland can be done in a long weekend and North Island in a week.

A dreary wet day in Auckland v. a dreary wet day in Sydney - I know which I'd chose .
Yes, I'd also choose the wet day in Sydney, having visited - there is more to do there (for me anyway).

I also missed European culture when in NZ but I wanted to point out to kiwi child that I know NZ cannot have the same history to it due to it being a young country. I just felt that in NZ the people (a lot of them, not all) were almost anti cultural pursuits and there is actually a kind of inverted snobbery about them. I was often laughed at for wanting to visit a gallery or do something other than run about on the beach, or I got the response "ooooh, you're posh, aren't you?" (in a sarcastic tone).
Old Feb 1st 2007, 4:27 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by mazi
I was often laughed at for wanting to visit a gallery or do something other than run about on the beach, or I got the response "ooooh, you're posh, aren't you?" (in a sarcastic tone).
I like to go to art galleries, but just to be safe I will rip a loud fart just to let the other gallery attendees know that I'm like a real bloke and all.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 4:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by happynz
I like to go to art galleries, but just to be safe I will rip a loud fart just to let the other gallery attendees know that I'm like a real bloke and all.
Can you do it on demand, then?

Funny, and no offence intended at all, but I thought from your previous posts that you were a girl! No idea why.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 4:58 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but your yearnings for Euro culture really surprise me.
Why anyone longs for countries which have been governmentally enforced to embrace each other when half the historical relationships are of violence and belittling each other is a mystery.
I'd far rather have sea views or greenery than some gothic, baroque or art deco construction, however visually pleasing.
I've travelled the world with my job, and had a far better experience in a shanty town on Mauritius south coast than the Euro capitals.
No help I know, but remember why most Brits head to NZ.......it ain't for the firkin art galleries.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 5:45 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by mazi
Funny, and no offence intended at all, but I thought from your previous posts that you were a girl! No idea why.

Oooh...er...does my prose look big in this?

Well, standing at 189cm and weighing 92kg iffin' I was a girlie I'd be a big one!
Old Feb 1st 2007, 6:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Sorry, but your yearnings for Euro culture really surprise me.

Why anyone longs for countries which have been governmentally enforced to embrace each other when half the historical relationships are of violence and belittling each other is a mystery.And this doesn't happen in NZ, even to this day?

I'd far rather have sea views or greenery I wouldn't, at least not for my everyday life - Ok for holidays but I need life around me on a day-to-day basis than some gothic, baroque or art deco construction, however visually pleasing.
I've travelled the world with my job, and had a far better experience in a shanty town on Mauritius south coast than the Euro capitals.Which town? I spent a fab 8 weeks in Mahebourg and the environs a few years ago. I have also had some marvellous experiences in 'shanty' (terrible word) towns in many other countries, India being particularly memorable, but my particular longing (not a longing anymore as I have them) for cultural pursuits is more about being seen as normal when I go to an art gallery or the theatre or to a famous building (I was even ridiculed for spending a few hours in Katherine Mansfield's house for goodness' sake) and not being made to feel like a loser because I'm not great at sport and don't find the same pleasure in a barbecue as many Kiwis do. The odd one is fine but it gets a bit tiresome after the fifth one of the month.

No help I know, but remember why most Brits head to NZ.......Why do they?

it ain't for the firkin art galleries.It couldn't be - there are only about 4 (yes, I know that is an exaggeration)
And no, I don't spend all my time in galleries and the like - but I like it that I could if I wanted and I like it that no-one, not even educationally-challenged people, take the P. I do know people who don't enjoy my type of cultural pursuit but none of them would laugh at me for it, and nor do I them for their choice of free-time activity.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 7:57 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

We do have Classicals Sparks here in ChCh this weekend - orchestra + fireworks, and we had the Buskers Festival running last week.
Just two examples of free "cultural" activities in Christchurch... there are heaps more.
Sometimes you just need to think outside the square and *do* stuff that does exist, rather than missing the stuff that isn't here.

PS the Art Gallery here is just excellent - awesome building and ever changing exhibitions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.