Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Two words - Yorkshire Puds !

Two words - Yorkshire Puds !

Old Feb 10th 2013, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two words - Yorkshire Puds !

Originally Posted by BEVS
OK. Buy Homepirde and follow the above distructions AND don't open the door.

I'll be back............
Bon chance!
Old Feb 10th 2013, 9:57 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

If you're using NZ ingredients I would advise using NZ recipes. You'll find plenty on the internet. I gather the absorbancy of the flour is different here and the climate can make a difference too (e.g. humidity).

And use proper fat like your grandma use to. Makes the best Yorkshire pud IMO.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
AND don't open the door.............

I always follow this rule, especially not if it is kids selling chocolate, the Jehovas or Mormons that are knocking.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:13 pm
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all

We expect a photo of your success
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:25 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I use Delia's recipe, have hot fat and yes NEVER open the door. I am proud to say that my last few attempts have been perfect *smug smile*

My problem was that I never put enough mixture into the pan so they always came out as what Mr S called 'hockey pucks'
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I always follow this rule, especially not if it is kids selling chocolate, the Jehovas or Mormons that are knocking.
Was going to give you some karma for this but I've just given you some for summit else & it won't let me!
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Persephone
I use Delia's recipe, have hot fat and yes NEVER open the door. I am proud to say that my last few attempts have been perfect *smug smile*

My problem was that I never put enough mixture into the pan so they always came out as what Mr S called 'hockey pucks'
I use Delia too, she'll be out this afternoon for her pancake recipe.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 11:01 am
Banned

pomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of lightpomikev is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Synky
My recipe is 1, 3, 5.

1 egg, 3oz plain flour, 5 oz milk.

Equal quantities is for pancakes.

Don't open the door!
That's what my mother taught me too, and my yorkshires are perfect 80% of the time, the other 20% I have no idea what happens but I've had some absolute disasters for no apparent reason.

Do you guys have any good recipes for mint sauce, ie.. do you add brown sugar to the vinegar ? how long do you make it before serving etc....
Old Feb 16th 2013, 2:28 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomikev
That's what my mother taught me too, and my yorkshires are perfect 80% of the time, the other 20% I have no idea what happens but I've had some absolute disasters for no apparent reason.

Do you guys have any good recipes for mint sauce, ie.. do you add brown sugar to the vinegar ? how long do you make it before serving etc....
I'm lucky enough to have a supplier of Colemans mint sauce which I use as a base. So it's very thick to start with.

I stick some of that in a cup, add a little bit of white sugar, add just off the boil hot water (just to disolve the sugar really) then add malt vinegar to get the desired consistency. That's what my mum did anyway.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
I'm lucky enough to have a supplier of Colemans mint sauce which I use as a base. So it's very thick to start with.

I stick some of that in a cup, add a little bit of white sugar, add just off the boil hot water (just to disolve the sugar really) then add malt vinegar to get the desired consistency. That's what my mum did anyway.
Likewise with the Colman's - some supermarkets and most British food shops sell it in NZ. However, justa lika my mamma used to make, I just add some vinegar to thin it a little and have never felt any need to add sugar.

I can't abide any of the other stuff that passes for mint sauce here; 'ready to squeeze' sickly sweet, minty syrup with a few green bits in.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 5:33 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

No Homepride to be had but game on this evening.

I will go with the 1, 3, 5 mix and not open the door even though the oven usually cooks fast to the back and slow to the front for reasons unknown.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 2:29 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

& the result was a 6cms high stodge burnt on top .
Old Mar 19th 2013, 2:44 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Did you let the fat get hot hot hot? at least they rose!
Old Mar 19th 2013, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

115 gr high grade flour
3eggs
7floz milk
salt and pepper

small amount of oil in muffin tins, oven 250, heat oil until smoking, divide mixture between moulds pop in oven when puds have started to rise and turned a good brown then reduce heat to 200 to 220 leave until fully cooked.

Make sure you are putting lots of air into mixture and also leave mixture to rest beforre using for a least an hour.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I use Delia too, she'll be out this afternoon for her pancake recipe.
Yeah, another for Delia's recipe here too. Had no probs with NZ flour, less success sourcing proper Yorkshire pudding trays though, still managing with some old Morrisons ones.
Also less success making flap jacks here, either too crumbly or too greasey, never had any probs back in the UK.