Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Two words - Yorkshire Puds !

Two words - Yorkshire Puds !

Old Feb 8th 2013, 8:12 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Unhappy Two words - Yorkshire Puds !

OK. So , I'm on my way to 9 years of an electric oven here in NZ. To date, I have never, ever produced a quality yorkshire pud. They're either crisped nothingness or soggy doughy yuk.

What's going wrong? I want a yorkshire pud equal to those wonderful light large puff jobbies you get in the carveries back in Blighty.

Help !
Old Feb 8th 2013, 9:46 pm
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all
Default Re: Two words - Yorkshire Puds !

Our oven is electric and we make them! Are you letting the batter rest? Not too much oil either.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 10:36 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Never liked them so don't miss them and plus I'm useless at making them
Old Feb 8th 2013, 11:25 pm
`

Originally Posted by Synky
Our oven is electric and we make them! Are you letting the batter rest? Not too much oil either.
Yes, I do although it is now thought it makes no difference. Nopes. I don't use too much oil.

What recipe do you follow ? Same as pancakes?
What temp.?

and....Love30.......

I'm not asking you to eat them. Me , Mr Bevs and friends hereabouts are more than capable of polishing a good few off.

Mr BEVS likes cobblers too so I need to solve this for those as well.

I just want 'em to rise like Muvver used to make. Not stodge or charcoal.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BEVS
OK. So , I'm on my way to 9 years of an electric oven here in NZ. To date, I have never, ever produced a quality yorkshire pud. They're either crisped nothingness or soggy doughy yuk.

What's going wrong? I want a yorkshire pud equal to those wonderful light large puff jobbies you get in the carveries back in Blighty.

Help !
Ok, here goes

oven must be HOT - 230/ 420
mix equal amounts of flour, milk and eggs and beat, beat and beat!
let it rest in the fridge
Now - dessert spoon of fat into your patty tins, into hot oven and LEAVE until the fats really smoking hot - good 7 mins!
quickly pour the batter into the tins and put it in the oven - DON'T open the door for 15 mins, lower the temp to 200/ 400 after 10 mins and cook on until they're golden and crisp.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 4:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I've found that the flour quality isn't what it was in Blighty. Have now started to buy Homepride flour as a special treat to make such goodies. Cakes etc. rise so much better. So I don't think it's your oven that's the problem.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 6:51 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Two words - Yorkshire Puds !

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
So I don't think it's your oven that's the problem.
Blunt .
Old Feb 9th 2013, 7:39 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

It probably is the flour. Most of the world uses winter wheat (which needs a guaranteed frost for it to germinate) this part of the world uses white wheat which to quote my doctor, "Is crap". So there we are.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 9:09 am
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
It probably is the flour. Most of the world uses winter wheat (which needs a guaranteed frost for it to germinate) this part of the world uses white wheat which to quote my doctor, "Is crap". So there we are.
What aload of gubbins. I make lots with cheapo flour and never had an issue.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 5:07 pm
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all

My recipe is 1, 3, 5.

1 egg, 3oz plain flour, 5 oz milk.

Equal quantities is for pancakes.

Don't open the door!
Old Feb 9th 2013, 9:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Blunt .
That's me
Old Feb 9th 2013, 9:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin
What aload of gubbins. I make lots with cheapo flour and never had an issue.
Not gubbins at all, speaking as a qualified home economist. Have made some but they didn't rise as well as my UK made ones used too. Recipe the same, electric oven in both countries. Flour different! Use Homepride flour in NZ = beautiful yorkshire puds.

I feel your pain Bevs
Old Feb 9th 2013, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

The children love fairy type cakes, but here in NZ they come out crap, same recipe, electric oven etc.

Treat yourself to Homepride and your cooking will be brilliant.

My husband is a baker and even he says the flour here is rubbish.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 8:14 pm
`

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Blunt .
Old Feb 10th 2013, 8:15 pm
`

OK. Buy Homepirde and follow the above distructions AND don't open the door.

I'll be back............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.