Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

TV/Phone/Broadband

TV/Phone/Broadband

Old Jan 4th 2010, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

viv jones has a spectacular aura aboutviv jones has a spectacular aura aboutviv jones has a spectacular aura about
Default TV/Phone/Broadband

I have read somewhere on this site, within cost of living discussions I think, that there are packages that cover TV/Phone/Broadband. I have looked on SKY but they don't seem to do this in NZ. I am moving out to Auckland next week and the house we have bought has SKY installed already but I was wondering if anyone can guide me as to the good companies to go with for broadband or packages. If it is anything like the UK prices vary loads.
Thanks
Old Jan 4th 2010, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

zoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nicezoglet is just really nice
Default Re: TV/Phone/Broadband

Originally Posted by viv jones
I have read somewhere on this site, within cost of living discussions I think, that there are packages that cover TV/Phone/Broadband. I have looked on SKY but they don't seem to do this in NZ. I am moving out to Auckland next week and the house we have bought has SKY installed already but I was wondering if anyone can guide me as to the good companies to go with for broadband or packages. If it is anything like the UK prices vary loads.
Thanks

Depending on where you are, there maybe some choice. NZ doesn't have anything like the competitive edge you are used to in the UK telecoms market.

TelstraClear have a broadband/phone and tv package which is pretty good and is upgradeable. I'm not sure about sky- but I don't think they do phones here. So you would need a separate company for phone and internet. I'm sure there will be others with more knowledge along soon.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

viv jones has a spectacular aura aboutviv jones has a spectacular aura aboutviv jones has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the name I will have a look at them!
Viv
Old Jan 5th 2010, 7:47 am
Northern Monkey

adamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to all

Telstra Clear offer good packages in certain areas. We get phone, broadband and digital Tv for around $160 a month and for an additional $25 get something ridiculous like 600 free hours a month phone calls to landlines in the UK, Australia and a raft of other countries
Old Jan 5th 2010, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

That sounds good thanks....Do you know if they cover Auckland...I guess they should do really!
Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:22 am
Northern Monkey

adamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to all

I live in Christchurch so you may not get exactly the same services I do, but they certainly offer some services in Auckland.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Can you tell me what digital TV is compared with Sky please?? Are they different with regard to the channels etc?
Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:48 am
Northern Monkey

Its Digital Cable TV, like they have in some areas in the UK (I think i used to get cable thru NTL in the UK). You get most of the channels offered through Sky (i.e the Movies, the Sports, the news channels etc).
Old Jan 5th 2010, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Righto.....do you get UK things like Top Gear in NZ...do you need sky/cable for this do you know? Important question from my son!!
Old Jan 5th 2010, 9:01 am
Northern Monkey

Originally Posted by viv jones
Righto.....do you get UK things like Top Gear in NZ...do you need sky/cable for this do you know? Important question from my son!!
Yeah, they get top gear here. They have a "UK TV" channel
Old Jan 5th 2010, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

You can't get Telstra cable in Auckland

Telecom total home is $100 for phone line, all national calls and a good broadband package (10GB per month unlimited speed up and down)

Basic Sky with MySky (Sky+ to Brits) is around $68 per month. The extra $15 pm for the MySky is the best money you will spend because you won't have to watch all the adverts. There's quite a good mix of channels inc UKTV, various kids' stuff, Nat Geog, History, BBC news etc etc Top Gear appears on several channels

For international calls we use Skype, which is free, or Skypeout, which is about 2.5c per minute for calling any landline in most civilised countries.