British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   TV in New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/tv-new-zealand-510440/)

athena88 Jan 30th 2008 9:07 pm

TV in New Zealand

Dont want to sound like too much of a telly addict but when I was last in New Zealand on holiday 8 years ago I remember the tv being absolutely terrible with more adverts than you can shake a stick at!
Is this still the case? Cant comment on satelite tv as I didnt watch any except for the rugby of course.

Yotty Jan 30th 2008 9:11 pm

Re: TV in New Zealand

Take a look Athena http://tvnz.co.nz/ and tell us what you think?:)

irnbru14 Jan 30th 2008 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by athena88 (Post 5860706)
Dont want to sound like too much of a telly addict but when I was last in New Zealand on holiday 8 years ago I remember the tv being absolutely terrible with more adverts than you can shake a stick at!
Is this still the case? Cant comment on satelite tv as I didnt watch any except for the rugby of course.

Yes GOD its awful, started a thread about this a few months back, jeeze! Was off ill from work for a few days last year, its even worse during the day!!

All I really ever watch now are The Simpsons, Family Guy, Top Gear and some other random stuff (usually made by the BBC!) when its on, like the lastest Michael Palin series...

As for the advertising, sheesh its sooooo bad, and for ad breaks every 8 minutes or something, I mean you get 3 ad breaks in a 22 minute episode of the Simpsons!!!!

Bring some DVD's!!!

Margaret Parkinson Jan 30th 2008 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by irnbru14 (Post 5861067)
Yes GOD its awful, started a thread about this a few months back, jeeze! Was off ill from work for a few days last year, its even worse during the day!!

All I really ever watch now are The Simpsons, Family Guy, Top Gear and some other random stuff (usually made by the BBC!) when its on, like the lastest Michael Palin series...

As for the advertising, sheesh its sooooo bad, and for ad breaks every 8 minutes or something, I mean you get 3 ad breaks in a 22 minute episode of the Simpsons!!!!

Bring some DVD's!!!

Our daughter & family live in NZ and have sky but still feel deprived. If I see anything on in the UK I record it for her and post it on. At the moment I am recording Mistresses (BBC no adverts) which I think she will enjoy there are 5 episodes and will finish the week before we go to visit them so will take it with us together with other things I have recorded.

RobClubley Jan 30th 2008 11:01 pm

*cough* Bittorrent *cough*

BEVS Jan 30th 2008 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 5861214)
*cough* Bittorrent *cough*

Sounds painful.

Wouldn't have the first clue how to go about that. Does it cost $$ ?

Telly here is a bit cr*p but you do get the odd viewing gem.

RobClubley Jan 31st 2008 12:56 am

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 5861253)
Sounds painful.

Wouldn't have the first clue how to go about that. Does it cost $$ ?

Telly here is a bit cr*p but you do get the odd viewing gem.

Like Outrageous Fortune! :)
Bittorrent doesn't directly cost but obviously you pay for the data you download.

I usually hit my 32Gb limit each month

lardyl Jan 31st 2008 12:59 am

Bionic Woman starts on Sunday night and sounds interesting......
From the people who brought us the awesome, stupendous Battlestar Galactica!!!!!!!
Tuning in as it could be another Heroes :)

Stef_Paul Jan 31st 2008 1:03 am

The ads are pretty annoying but there has been alot on just lately that I love to watch so I am not moaning too much at the moment. Lost is about to start again, Prison Break is on (quality programme!), Desperate Housewives, CSI, Law and Order, Bionic Woman may be OK...yes I need to get out more don't I?!?!:blink::D

The daytime is crap though!!!

If you can get Sky I would recommend it if your not into any of the above programmes! LOL.

RobClubley Jan 31st 2008 1:04 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 5861556)
Bionic Woman starts on Sunday night and sounds interesting......
From the people who brought us the awesome, stupendous Battlestar Galactica!!!!!!!
Tuning in as it could be another Heroes :)

Hmm, nowhere near as good as Heroes, but I like it. Starring her from Eastenders!
The only problem is that it ground to a halt after seven episodes because of the writers' strike in Hollywood

lardyl Jan 31st 2008 1:31 am

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 5861574)
Hmm, nowhere near as good as Heroes, but I like it. Starring her from Eastenders!
The only problem is that it ground to a halt after seven episodes because of the writers' strike in Hollywood

bugger........is that what the "teaser" ad was all about??
......but it is not all bad after all - being that insey weensy bit behind the US?
hopefully we won't have as much time to wait for the rest of the series.....

RobClubley Jan 31st 2008 1:40 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 5861639)
bugger........is that what the "teaser" ad was all about??
......but it is not all bad after all - being that insey weensy bit behind the US?
hopefully we won't have as much time to wait for the rest of the series.....

True! It's a bit annoying because we've been watching the new seasons of CSI, House, NCIS, CSI:NY, Shark, Stargate Atlantis, Boston Legal, Private Practice, Greys Anatomy etc.

All of these have pretty much stopped now. I suppose I couold watch them all again on NZ TV with ads and cut for violence (like Heroes was - pah!)

Jude J Jan 31st 2008 1:52 am

House is my favourite at the moment. Didn't watch it when it was on telly but have been through all the dvd's and just watched the new series, up to episode 6 I think.

irnbru14 Jan 31st 2008 2:01 am

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 5861574)

And now they have axed it, oh well, what I saw of it was pretty rubbish anyway :thumbdown:

crap coffee Jan 31st 2008 3:50 am

I DO NOT watch TV at all in NZ because it's utter rubbish.:rofl::rofl::rofl: No need for words to explain that. Hence I don't even bother buying a cr*ppy TV here (they're 20 yrs behind than the digital UK ones, perhaps?):p

Who gives a toss, eh?

therefore my life is quieter here