Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Trouble at daughter's school -advice?

Trouble at daughter's school -advice?

Old Mar 6th 2008, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trouble at daughter's school -advice?

Hutt Central had an ERO report in July 2007
http://www.ero.govt.nz/ero/reppub.nsf/0/39DF768BB5CE5C4DCC257323000AAE1E/$File/2862.htm?Open
I was pleased on your account to note this phrase of Inspector Speak:
'The school’s inclusive culture and strong emphasis on values is demonstrated in the positive and respectful interactions observed between students and staff.'

That's 2-way respect and clearly lacking in your daughter's present classroom set -up.
I would read the ERO reports and visit all the schools you could feasibly attend in your location and then make a decision.
Good luck.

Last edited by luvwelly; Mar 6th 2008 at 2:21 am. Reason: tried but failed to improve link lol
Old Mar 6th 2008, 3:26 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds awful for you and her and not 'the norm' as me and my friends experience Kiwi education here. If it were me I'd probably withdraw her form the school if that's what you're considering anyway and write a strongly worded complain to the head. Schooling issues can be the hardest bits of parenting
Old Mar 6th 2008, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Sounds awful for you and her and not 'the norm' as me and my friends experience Kiwi education here. If it were me I'd probably withdraw her form the school if that's what you're considering anyway and write a strongly worded complain to the head. Schooling issues can be the hardest bits of parenting
Yes, please do put it in writing eventually so that the 'newly qualified dragon' gets some in-service training on building pupils' self-esteem and effective classroom management; and is not able to make daily school life miserable for your daughter's class mates whose parents may not all be as articulate as you.

Last edited by luvwelly; Mar 6th 2008 at 4:04 am. Reason: sp
Old Mar 6th 2008, 3:52 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Don't fancy moving to Papakowhai School's zone do you? It's decile 9 and our daughter is starting to really flourish there, after a rough start (new school, long way from what used to be home, etc.).

I'm so sorry this is happening, though, maybe an appointment with the head is a good idea. He/she might not have the slightest clue it's happening. The teacher needs to chill...
Old Mar 6th 2008, 3:58 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I would be cautious about moving schools based on one teacher and only a short experience of her. My daughter in year 3 had a really strict teacher, and for the first couple of months the whole class were probably all struggling. But by the end of the year she was their favourite teacher, and my daughter has huge respect for her, even now.

Thinking back to my own schooling its the strictest teachers who I remember as the best teachers. It wouldn't have been much fun if they had all been strict, but a sprinkling of them probably makes for a better overall schooling.

Apart from the strictness the other issue with the teacher you mentioned I think was lack of positive feedback. Maybe thats the key thing to focus on if you get a chance to raise it with her personally or with the school.

I can only imagine how really hard it is to be a good teacher these days - and in mnay cases with arm tied behind their back with regard to controlling class behaviour.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by southerner
Personally I would be cautious about moving schools based on one teacher and only a short experience of her. My daughter in year 3 had a really strict teacher, and for the first couple of months the whole class were probably all struggling. But by the end of the year she was their favourite teacher, and my daughter has huge respect for her, even now.

Thinking back to my own schooling its the strictest teachers who I remember as the best teachers. It wouldn't have been much fun if they had all been strict, but a sprinkling of them probably makes for a better overall schooling.

Apart from the strictness the other issue with the teacher you mentioned I think was lack of positive feedback. Maybe thats the key thing to focus on if you get a chance to raise it with her personally or with the school.

I can only imagine how really hard it is to be a good teacher these days - and in mnay cases with arm tied behind their back with regard to controlling class behaviour.
No one is saying you can't be strict and expect high standards of behaviour but shouting is not a viable teaching strategy, belittling kids' work will turn them off not motivate them, kids need to feel safe and supported to learn effectively.....this teacher is just plain not what I would choose for my child...so I repeat I would not hesitate to move her to a more nurturing environment. She's seven...school should be fun not a source of daily anxiety.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 4:37 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Hey we all shout at our kids, and do things and say things we later regret. I'm just saying its a bl**dy hard profession, and I also related some personal experiences to show that perceptions of what looks like a problem situation can change, even in a short time.

Only the OP can decide what is right for them. But they did ask for my input, so they got it.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry yes you are entitled to your view...I just feel strongly about this and I don't think it is the norm here.

Originally Posted by southerner
Hey we all shout at our kids, and do things and say things we later regret. I
I used to but don't any more, it is counter-productive and has long been frowned upon in education. Parents have 'more credit in the bank' with their kids so the occasional slip won't do any major harm. A teacher you are very scared of and feel powerless against...could. Thinking back to my school days, the best teachers didn't shout at all...they were already instinctively using positive behaviour reinforcement and reward systems but then I went to a small cosy village school.

I don't doubt that it is an extremely tough profession but a 7 year old has the right to feel that their teacher is an adult 'on their side' who will react in a certain measured way if reasonable boundaries are overstepped - she should not be feeling intimidated..... i.m.v. something is not right here.
I don't think this is simply a case of 'whatever you do, don't smile before Christmas'..here it would be Easter I suppose and that strategy applies to secondary teaching rather than Junior.
You get but one chance at Y2 or Y3...the pace heats up so it doesn't get easier so best make sure your child is in an environment where they maximise their potential right from the start.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by turkeys
its Decile 6

Thanks for all your comments. Yes I certainly won't be giving it another 6 days let alone months before we decide what to do. Good to hear postivie stories about the school where we may be sending her
I'm sure if you explained to the head at the school you are proposing to move her to the problems that you encountered, they would probably let you sit in on a lesson or two to get a feel for whether you were likely to fare better there.

As for your earlier question about classroom observation, I have read ERO reports before where they criticise schools for not including classroom observation in the staff annual appraisal process.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

turkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of light

Typical, she came home today saying she wants to stay there! There was a relief teacher there though. Anyway a parents evening is coming up so that will be a good oportunity to raise the concerns.
Good to get such constructive advice and hear both sides of the argument on this board though - cheers!
Old Mar 6th 2008, 6:57 am
Just Joined

sophiekins is a jewel in the roughsophiekins is a jewel in the roughsophiekins is a jewel in the roughsophiekins is a jewel in the roughsophiekins is a jewel in the rough

Hi Andy,
My youngest son (aged 6) has been at Waterloo Primary since we arrived, last September. I would say that it is an excellent school, and although it's just the nearest for us, it is has apparantly an excellent rep. also. The kids seem on the face of it, really friendly, and I have nothing but praise for his friendly and bubbly teacher, Mrs Swan, who has bent over backwards to ensure that he settles into routines as easily as possible, given new and strange languages/customs. He has of course, had the odd upset with some boys, but just usual kid behavoir, and far less than we had back in the u.k, on the whole he seems a lot happier. There is always lots going on that involve the family as much as poss. so it has a really friendly 'vibe' if you know what I mean! I know they do take pupils from out of 'the zone', so you may not have to move, but I think you have to register your interest, and its first come first served. I would give Cheryl a ring (she deals with admissions) and explain your situation - they are v. helpful.
I think Petone school, from what you've said, has some strange ideas about teaching young children, I wouldn't be happy with that environment either. I also saw an article about 2/3 weeks ago critising Petone school, apparantly it does not achieve highly either (I don't know if it was this school on particular, but was Petone - I said to my fella at the time thats strange 'cos the house prices are so high). Incidently, my older son is at Hutt Valley High School, which he loves. He went to Hutt intermediate briefly before the Xmas break, and wasn't fussed on that, but it was probably due to the fact he didn't have time to settle, before moving on again.

Hope some of this helps!
Sophie.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 6:59 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Why dont you go and see the school that you were thinking about moving her to and take your daughter with you and have a good look around. IMO I would not like to think of my 7 year old daughter being miserable for 6 hours a day at school. They are at such an impressionable age that it can make the whole school process a nightmare. I remember my sister at that age crying about the school she went to, my mum was of the 'wait and see' attitude until my dad saw her one morning crying and told mum to move my sister out of the school. Best thing she did, loved her new one and made lots of friends. Hope it all works out for the best whatever you decide.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:39 am
The Wicked One

spid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud of

Typical, she came home today saying she wants to stay there! There was a relief teacher there though. Anyway a parents evening is coming up so that will be a good oportunity to raise the concerns.
Good to get such constructive advice and hear both sides of the argument on this board though - cheers!
the important bit in this is that there was a relief teacher! She's 7, one day with one good teacher is fantastic for her, but she won't realise that it isn't forever and that she will get the old one back. It took my eldest years to get over the bullying of her Y1 teacher. Don't let that happen to your child. Get visiting other schools, without your daughter at first if necessary, and then take her to see the ones you like. IN the end she is a child and you the adult - so you have to make the hard decisions for her. Chin up and give them hell at that teacher consultation.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Typical, she came home today saying she wants to stay there! There was a relief teacher there though.
She's seven...she probably thinks the old teacher isn't coming back
My kids have never complained or disliked any of the relief teachers they have had here or in UK so methinks most must behave reasonably.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of

Hope you get your daughter sorted. We once had a teacher in our junior school called Mrs Smith. I came home in tears one day as she said my picture of a tree was rubbish. My mother (Irish and fiery tempered) went down the next day and had her in front of everyone saying if that was my version of a tree, then so be it etc, etc, Needless to say she was fine after that!!

We were also bullied because of our Irish roots, and my mum chose to tackle the parents rather than the teachers or head teacher which I feel would have been the more appropriate way to go about it!

Also, Sorry to sound stupid, but my children are only tiny at the moment. What is a decile?? Is the higher the decile the better the school?

Will have all this to think about in a couple of years.

lou
x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.