Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The treaty of waitangi

The treaty of waitangi

Old Sep 24th 2008, 1:19 am

Jokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant future
Default The treaty of waitangi

I have been forced to write an essay on the Treaty for a tertiary course I am doing. Even though I think my time would be better spent learning, er, course related material...I digress.

It's giving me an excellent insight into New Zealand history. Basically, my point of view is that the colonisation of NZ was based on economics. And continues to remain so. It's been a painful experience for Maori but here is my question : was it a neccessary pain to go through? I argue that yes, it was.

Thoughts on the treaty? Do you know what it is? Is it important for migrants? Does it have any relevance today? Should it still be taught?
Old Sep 24th 2008, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The treaty of waitangi

I'm studying Teaching and have not long just done a 'presentation' (for which I got 84% - an A ) on Te Tirito o Waitangi, or The Treaty of Waitangi! I found it fascinating and had a very lengthy discussion with a Maori girl on my course about the different meanings of 'governorship' and 'sovereignty' and how it all came about.. really opened my eyes.

I think everyone who is 'invited' to stay/live in New Zealand should read up on it and embrace the bicultural aspects of New Zealand

Last edited by UKNZAUS; Sep 24th 2008 at 2:30 am.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and yes I think it is highly important that it is taught to our children, I certainly will with my own!

Ko nga tamariki o nainei mātua o āpōpō
Today's children are tomorrow's parents
Old Sep 24th 2008, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit that I don't know much about it although I did visit the Waitangi Treaty House last year and yes I think everyone should have some insight into the culture of New Zealand and how it all came about if they want to live here and understand that ways of the Maori people.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 4:16 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's essential. It's NZ history, how could it not be?

Congratulations on the assignment michelle&carl
Old Sep 24th 2008, 4:31 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jokerman
I have been forced to write an essay on the Treaty for a tertiary course I am doing. Even though I think my time would be better spent learning, er, course related material...I digress.

It's giving me an excellent insight into New Zealand history. Basically, my point of view is that the colonisation of NZ was based on economics. And continues to remain so. It's been a painful experience for Maori but here is my question : was it a neccessary pain to go through? I argue that yes, it was.

Thoughts on the treaty? Do you know what it is? Is it important for migrants? Does it have any relevance today? Should it still be taught?
I tend to think that the injustices of the past were probably unavoidable despite some reasonably enlightened policy that gave rise to the Treaty in the first place. In practice greed and British colonial tendencies meant a land grab would ultimately eventuate.

On the settlement process I agree it has been necessary, although it has not come without some conflict and considerable taxpayer cost.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I think it's essential. It's NZ history, how could it not be?

Congratulations on the assignment michelle&carl
Thankyou

I'm sure there are people here (Poms) who have said, or even thought, that immigrants in the UK should speak the lingo instead of their own language or to 'live like Brits do'... what difference is there here?

New Zealand has invited you all into this country, the least you could do is embrace the culture and heritage!
Old Sep 24th 2008, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
Thankyou

I'm sure there are people here (Poms) who have said, or even thought, that immigrants in the UK should speak the lingo instead of their own language or to 'live like Brits do'... what difference is there here?

New Zealand has invited you all into this country, the least you could do is embrace the culture and heritage!
Yes but in modern NZ English is the majority language anyway. so it is a bit different to folks coming to the UK from abroad.

And anyway, the Maori aren't indigineous people either Hmm, where is that can of worms smiley...?
Old Sep 24th 2008, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Yes but in modern NZ English is the majority language anyway. so it is a bit different to folks coming to the UK from abroad.

And anyway, the Maori aren't indigineous people either Hmm, where is that can of worms smiley...?
Yes true! But, New Zealand is officially a bicultural country and has two official languages - English and Te Reo Maori
Old Sep 24th 2008, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Hmm, where is that can of worms smiley...?
It's a can of worms that should be opened - that's how people learn new things. Plus, I'm an adult and can debate without getting personal, throw insults and start ranting
Old Sep 24th 2008, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
Yes true! But, New Zealand is officially a bicultural country and has two official languages - English and Te Reo Maori
Actually it has 3 official languages, Maori, English and NZ sign language
Old Sep 24th 2008, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Actually it has 3 official languages, Maori, English and NZ sign language
Sorry, I stand corrected
Old Sep 24th 2008, 6:54 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

In fact- as far as I understood it by virtue of having a friend in education and very interested in this sort of thing- English is a national language but not actually official so NZ has two official, official languages- Maori and NZSL. It's not easy to verify this but here's what can be found on the matter on The New Zealand Curriculum:

Te reo Māori and New Zealand Sign Language (NZSL) are official languages of New Zealand.1 English, the medium for teaching and learning in most schools, is a de facto official language by virtue of its widespread use. For these reasons, these three languages have special mention in The New Zealand Curriculum.
Fishing around it all seems a bit of a mystery as to whether English is an official OFFICIAL language of New Zealand or not and if so, when it was granted. Anyone care to play detective?
Old Sep 24th 2008, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

tehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jokerman

Could it have been done better yes, but one has to compare it with other countries which were colonised.
Hawaii is not a country but they have been a long way behind NZ in race relations.
It is amusing that a small country like NZ is helping to get the language there back on it's feet.
One problem with dropping the treaty is do we drop land
grants, leases on high country from that era ?
To be blunt the treaty settlements have been cheap when one considers the cost if it came down to other means.
Jaw-jaw is always better.
Maori do need to take a larger part in the economics of the country in business etc.
So is it best to stop maori taking art degrees , no I am kidding, I want Maori to be taking engineering etc at least at the level of others, which in NZ is too low.
The language is important because without the language culture would wither.
Of course the way we intermarry in NZ, the song a coffee coloured people is rather apt.
But, even in three hundred years iwi will still be debating over some point with each other.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold
Default The treaty of waitangi

The reality away from all the recent politically-correct stuff, was that the treaty was made WELL after all other British colonizations and was a more enlightened, humane way of dealing with the indigenous people. Also there was great pressure to colonize quickly because of the presence of the french, who also were trying to take NZ, they had already made a settlement at Akaroa near Christchurch.

If the French HAD succeeded in colonizing NZ, it would be now like New Caledonia or Tahiti, still part of France, and maybe the site of nuclear test too ! IN REALITY, if NZ had not been colonized at all, most Maoris would be in the position the Samoans and Fijians are in,here, and have already emigrated to Oz, the erstwhile 1st world, (rich) former British colony.

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Sep 24th 2008 at 11:42 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.