Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The treaty of waitangi

The treaty of waitangi

Old Sep 24th 2008, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The treaty of waitangi

I think it's a good thing for people and kids to learn about the history of the country they're living in, it would be a shame for New Zealand to follow the British education system and ignore or bias parts of our history beacause it's not PC and might upset someone.
How can the kids of the future be expected to improve things if they dont know what happened in the past.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 2poor4this
I think it's a good thing for people and kids to learn about the history of the country they're living in, it would be a shame for New Zealand to follow the British education system and ignore or bias parts of our history beacause it's not PC and might upset someone.
How can the kids of the future be expected to improve things if they dont know what happened in the past.
Erm, NZ not PC ? All references to Captain Cook have been removed from Te Papa museum, anything to do with Race relations has been made PC in nZ in order to pacify the sizeable indigenous "community"?
Isn't that bleedin' obvious ? Much more than in England, but PCness is about being "polite" and tolerant"
Old Sep 24th 2008, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

God save the Queen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 24th 2008, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough2poor4this is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
Isn't that bleedin' obvious ? Much more than in England, but PCness is about being "polite" and tolerant"
Is what bleedin' obvious?
The UK in being polite, tolerant and multicultural is in serious danger of making the indiginous population second rate citizens.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

Queen Elizabeth is the head of state.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of

My husband serves in the NZDF and has loved the Maori conventions, Maori King crowning.
He has sat and listened to the elders of this wonderful race. I would advise that to write a good essay would be to sit with some of the older members of the Maori community and let them tell you what their elders told them.
It is fascinating listening and yes I agree we should know the history of the country we live in.

As Brits we choose to leave Britain, however it shouldnt leave us ignorant to the history of the country we chose to live in.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 2:22 am

Jokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by keznjj
My husband serves in the NZDF and has loved the Maori conventions, Maori King crowning.
He has sat and listened to the elders of this wonderful race. I would advise that to write a good essay would be to sit with some of the older members of the Maori community and let them tell you what their elders told them.
It is fascinating listening and yes I agree we should know the history of the country we live in.

As Brits we choose to leave Britain, however it shouldnt leave us ignorant to the history of the country we chose to live in.
the treaty is pretty interesting. I brought up with my lecturer the other day that money has no inherent value, its only valuable in terms of what you can buy with it. (piece of gold is worthless if you can't spend it).

So when she said that they only got paid xxx for a piece of land I said well, that might have been a good deal at the time. And probably was, because a deal was reached (if you weren't happy you wouldn't have sold it).

she wasn't impressed! (she's Maori)

Last edited by Jokerman; Sep 27th 2008 at 2:24 am.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of

Good point

Whooaa there cowboy I think you might have struck a wee nerve there

Give the Maori there due they are very patriotic and very protective of there culture.
Make sure she doesnt have any dodgy rellies that would give you a message you wont forget ha ha
Old Sep 27th 2008, 10:53 am
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Patrick2007
God save the Queen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's a fascist regime.!!
Old Sep 27th 2008, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keznjj
Good point

Whooaa there cowboy I think you might have struck a wee nerve there

Give the Maori there due they are very patriotic and very protective of there culture.
Make sure she doesnt have any dodgy rellies that would give you a message you wont forget ha ha
Do you not even think it is actually disrespecful to their ancestors that they are basically saying they were stupid to accept the Treaty, and the land sales as they were duped by those nasty white europeans who obviously took much advantage over their simple relatives...? Just a thought!

I know I dont fully understand ths situation but can't believe all of these treaty claims can be a good thing for a modern, fully intergrated NZ in places. This is a country that is more than the sum of its parts and changing that balance risks changing what fundamentally makes this a great place to live...
Old Sep 27th 2008, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Do you not even think it is actually disrespecful to their ancestors that they are basically saying they were stupid to accept the Treaty, and the land sales as they were duped by those nasty white europeans who obviously took much advantage over their simple relatives...? Just a thought!

I know I dont fully understand ths situation but can't believe all of these treaty claims can be a good thing for a modern, fully intergrated NZ in places. This is a country that is more than the sum of its parts and changing that balance risks changing what fundamentally makes this a great place to live...
in reality at the time of colonization the Maoris were also colonisers. There were no such niceties as "treaties" for the Moriori, the original inhabitants of these islands, who were simply slaughtered en masse and sometimes eaten, their jawbones kept as souvenirs

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Sep 27th 2008 at 5:10 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 12:28 am

Jokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant futureJokerman has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by irnbru14

Its tough to voice ANY non-PC ideas about the treaty in the PC college I attend. The open transparent debate you might find in UK colleges and universities is not available. It's too easy to upset people by voicing an opinion. I'd rather keep my mouth shut, and get my certificate the easy way.

Maori actually used British ships to wage wars on other Maori tribes within NZ. For example, a war ship (I can't remember the exact details) set sail from the North Island to kill a Maori tribe in the South Island. The Maori on board the ship landed, whupped ass, and then tortured the defeated tribe chief to death...

Also, the treaty was created, in part, to stop Maori from fighting with each other.

Going out on a limb here, but I think all treaty claims should be chucked into the garbage. I know this is NOT the PC opinion, but the more I read the more I realise that it was not just Europeans ****ing up NZ - it was actually the Maori themselves.

For example, today on the tv I heard that a Maori, who works for Problem gambling New Zealand, has put a claim in for recompense against the number of pokie machines in NZ! Pokies are ruining the Maori community! What about the pokies ruining the European community? Is that related to colonisation as well? Bah!

Treaty of waitangi is just a gravy train now.

Last edited by Jokerman; Sep 28th 2008 at 12:42 am.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 9:21 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

in reality at the time of colonization the Maoris were also colonisers. There were no such niceties as "treaties" for the Moriori, the original inhabitants of these islands, who were simply slaughtered en masse and sometimes eaten, their jawbones kept as souvenirs
I'm not sure what point you're making.
Is it that only people who have previously had written agreements can then enter into new written agreements? Or only people who have never been at war previously? Such a view would have interesting ramifications if applied universally.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

That has been comprehensively disproven - the Moriori were Maoris who came from NZ and settled in the Chatham Islands.
Old Sep 29th 2008, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sr71
That has been comprehensively disproven - the Moriori were Maoris who came from NZ and settled in the Chatham Islands.
you say that this theory has "comprehensively disproved", but on the government website www.teara.govt.nz it says that the moriori travelled from NZ to the chathams around 1500. They were a peaceful people despite having the same Polynesian ethnicity as the invading maori.

And southerner you say you are not sure what point I am making then show you understand the point that I was making mmmm
To spell it out I was contrasting the difference between how the European colonisers dealt with the local tribes and how the invading Maori dealt with them

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Sep 29th 2008 at 8:27 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.