Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Travelling with a baby

Travelling with a baby

Old Jul 14th 2010, 4:50 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travelling with a baby

Hi has anyone travelled with an active 1 yr old recently, flying to UK and dreading the flight any advice welcome.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Wilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to all
Default Re: Travelling with a baby

Seperate flights
Old Jul 14th 2010, 7:19 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

My advice is let them be active, mine have always wandered up and down the walkways under supervision, some pax like to interact (so its enjoyable for both), some ignore (and tend to be ignored by both). Apart from the odd short excursion through the business class curtain

Worst trip I have seen was a couple who tried to keep their 1yr old twins confined to the bassinet seats (the bulkhead-mounted child cribs/seats) for a whole 9hrs, all sides (parents, kids and other pax around), were fried by the end...
Old Jul 14th 2010, 7:35 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by simonsi
My advice is let them be active, mine have always wandered up and down the walkways under supervision, ...
.. and they were 31 at the time....
Old Jul 14th 2010, 8:03 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
.. and they were 31 at the time....
Hey cheeky , we (4 girls) only range 23-4 (all ours, we just had a BIG 1-2 gap ), 3 coming with us (12,10,4), eldest has to finish her masters...
Old Jul 14th 2010, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Scousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to allScousebird is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wilester
Seperate flights
class! I'll remember this with my children!!
Old Jul 14th 2010, 5:42 pm

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

Travelled with a 15mth and 6mth old. Best thing we did was buy them seats and used their car seats.

Definitely helped with them feeling comfortable and sleeping
Old Jul 14th 2010, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Lynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant futureLynne sinclair has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by nelsonpom
Hi has anyone travelled with an active 1 yr old recently, flying to UK and dreading the flight any advice welcome.
We flew Glasgow to Christchurch via Singapore twice..once just with 17month old and 3 years later with then 4yrs old & 15month old..we let them wander the aisles most passengers were happy to chat to them and it avoided any "confined" screaming! The hostesses were also great and really helped out! it was a bit stressful as our youngest would fall asleep in our arms then wake up when we tried to put her in the basinet so I recall not a lot of sleep on those flights!! our older daughter loved colouring in and the tv entertainment.
Old Jul 14th 2010, 6:41 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tan0410
Travelled with a 15mth and 6mth old. Best thing we did was buy them seats and used their car seats.

Definitely helped with them feeling comfortable and sleeping
Not an option I'm afraid we fly next week but maybe next time
Old Jul 14th 2010, 6:44 pm
Stoke City fanatic

Thanks for the advice we will let her strutt her stuff, been told that singapore airlines stewards are fantastic which should help. Its only 24 hours after all !!!!!!!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 5:17 pm

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

We too let the kids roam relatively free and it wasn't a problem.

One of the Singapore Airline stewards sang to our children when one of them got restless
Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:26 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nelsonpom
I think you put them in a box with layers of straw, oh make sure you put a few holes in the top so they can breathe. That's what they used to say on Blue Peter.
Apparently you can leave them like that for months. Mmm that might have been tortoises now i come to think of it...
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:38 am
Stoke City fanatic

Originally Posted by Dustybin
I think you put them in a box with layers of straw, oh make sure you put a few holes in the top so they can breathe. That's what they used to say on Blue Peter.
Apparently you can leave them like that for months. Mmm that might have been tortoises now i come to think of it...
That would explain a lot of the Geordies I have met